Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 07:33 AM

376 posts, read 419,422 times

Advertisements

I wonder what the use of an inerrant Bible is.....
Sure it's great to have a perfect original or be very close to it. (Which I think is the case)
Let 1000 top scholars study the manuscripts and we have 250 doctrines.
My point is as long as mankind keeps injecting doctrine or otherwise is unable to find the intended meaning of the Scriptures a few errors don't really matter.
The accuracy of the Bible is, say, 0.1% but the error margin introduced by man is 25%.
A perfect example is the never ending UR vs ET debate. Is that really caused by the 0.1% manuscripts errors? Or is it the 25% error margin introduced by the Bible students?

PS The mentioned numbers are just guesswork. I have no idea what they really are.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,721,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Just to point out, that quote is from The Bible - Inerrant and Infallible?

The thing that has to be remembered Rsdperea is that although there are undeniably variations and scribal errors in the manuscript copies, this has not caused God's word to be lost. We do have God's word, and we can trust what the Bible says.
That's the opinion of "Spotlight Ministries," right? Do you want me to post (Apostle) Ralph's opinion and quote it as fact too?

If men rather than God authored the Bible, that would account for it's many contradictions and errors.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 AM

670 posts, read 814,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Sure it's great to have a perfect original or be very close to it. (Which I think is the case)
My point is as long as mankind keeps injecting doctrine or otherwise is unable to find the intended meaning of the Scriptures a few errors don't really matter.
The accuracy of the Bible is, say, 0.1% but the error margin introduced by man is 25%.
A perfect example is the never ending UR vs ET debate. Is that really caused by the 0.1% manuscripts errors? Or is it the 25% error margin introduced by the Bible students?

PS The mentioned numbers are just guesswork. I have no idea what they really are.

Jews have the Oral Torah which is sort of like a deeper explaination of the Torah(First Five Books)
But I don't think any Christian tradations ever had Oral teachings of their New Testament.
No deeper explaination of certain things within and so that is how all the confusion started in Christianity.

Where imperfect people who serve a perfect god. Can we at least agree on that every one.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post

Disagreements, regardless of what they are over, are due to misunderstanding and inadequate knowledge about what the Bible teaches, and/or personal or denominational bias's.

Of what use is the Bible? 2 timothy 2:15 answers that question.
2 Tim. 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
The never ending UR vs ET debate is not going to be debated on this thread. It is not the topic.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 AM

[quote=Mike555;31150763]Disagreements, regardless of what they are over, are due to misunderstanding and inadequate knowledge about what the Bible teaches, and/or personal or denominational bias's.

RESPONSE:

Add: "And the fact that the Bible was written by men accounts for its many errors and contradictions which those with a religious bias are not able to admit." and we'd pretty much agree!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Error not just in facts abound (did satan tempt David to count the Israelites or did God---Chronicles 21:1 vs 2 Samuel 24:1-2) but also in logic.

Jesus says, "It has been said of old (or "in the Old Testament Law under Moses") but I now say to you...." and then Jesus goes on to give commands totally opposite what the Law says. We think Jesus is basically invalidating the Mosiac Law because Jesus has brought us a better way of doing things....until we read Jesus saying, "For I came not to abolish the Law but to fulfill it. For till heaven and earth pass away not one jot or tittle of the Law shall likewise vanish". So what are we supposed to do? Are we justified in putting out our enemies' eyes because Jesus says the full scope and extent of the Law will always be in effect, or are we to love our enemies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
-

"Desire The Pure Milk Of The Word" - 1Pet.2:2
Or, to paraphrase Jesse Unruh "Errors are the Mother's milk of Holy Scripture".

Last edited by thrillobyte; 08-27-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 12:47 PM

[quote=ancient warrior;31153136]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Disagreements, regardless of what they are over, are due to misunderstanding and inadequate knowledge about what the Bible teaches, and/or personal or denominational bias's.

RESPONSE:

Add: "And the fact that the Bible was written by men accounts for its many errors and contradictions which those with a religious bias are not able to admit." and we'd pretty much agree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Error not just in facts abound (did satan tempt David to count the Israelites or did God---Chronicles 21:1 vs 2 Samuel 24:1-2) but also in logic.

Jesus says, "It has been said of old (or "in the Old Testament Law under Moses") but I now say to you...." and then Jesus goes on to give commands totally opposite what the Law says. We think Jesus is basically invalidating the Mosiac Law because Jesus has brought us a better way of doing things....until we read Jesus saying, "For I came not to abolish the Law but to fulfill it. For till heaven and earth pass away not one jot or tittle of the Law shall likewise vanish". So what are we supposed to do? Are we justified in putting out our enemies' eyes because Jesus says the full scope and extent of the Law will always be in effect, or are we to love our enemies?

Excerpt:

While all apparent Biblical contradictions -- doctrinal, ethical, or historical -- have not been cleared up, Christians expect that as more knowledge is gained, each contradiction will disappear. However since the Bible is the Word of God and full of His wisdom for our world, we can always expect that there will be those who try to discredit it to make it appear untrue and worthless. We as Christians believe that God is not a God of contradictions, so we feel that when properly understood, His Word will not contradict itself but will show the truth as God has revealed it. [Bolded mine]
- See more at: Biblical Contradictions

Books have been written, and websites exist which answer and refute the alleged and apparent contradictions. But that does not stop the skeptic who wishes to discredit the Bible from repeating the same claims over and over again. I do not intend to take the time to reply to specific alleged or apparent contradictions on this thread.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

RESPONSE:

Yep. That's a contradiction. One of these two teachings (OT teaching or NT teaching) has to be in error. I guess God got it wrong in the Old Testament or Jesus in the New Testament!

But rather than admit that there can be a contradiction or a reversal in teaching, some Christian apologist will undoubtedly tell us that it really isn't a error after all, if we look at the "context."

Then usually follows an overly long essay trying to explain this "context" but getting far off the topic in an attempt to avoid admitting the basic contradiction.

Many contradictions are obvious. Despite Mike555' attempt to prove otherwise, Matt 2 says Jeus was born during the reign of King Herod who died in 4 B.C, while Luke2 has Jesus born during Quirinius' census of Judea ( see Josephus Antiquities) conducted because Herod's inheritor Archelaus, was exiled in 6 AD.

Thus Matthew's "inspired" writing and Luke's "inspired" writing disagree by ten years, which explains why Luke has no Magi, Star of Bethlehem, Slaughter of the Innocents, and Matthew has no census, manger story, etc.

Amusingly, some apologist will probably claim that each writer simply omitted non essential details enen though they occurred. But can they explain the 10 year difference???

But common sense tells us that this is a contradiction and at least one story 9or both) is in error! []

Last edited by ancient warrior; 08-27-2013 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-03-2016, 03:15 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham It Up! View Post
One cannot come to know Jesus Christ without the bible.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God (The Bible)

End of story!
Does your bible say this ? Or is this some more of your home made fundy theology ?.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Does your bible say this ? Or is this some more of your home made fundy theology ?.
Why did you resurrect an old thread to reply to something a poster said almost four years ago? He hasn't even posted on City-Data since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity