Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I believe that God handed Jesus over to be beaten and crucified for us. He loves us that much that He gave His only begotten so for us. This is love. By His stripes, we are healed. We benefit from what God did by handing His Son over to die for us. How is this not love, .sparrow? It is the ultimate act of love, giving over, that which is most precious to you, so that others will live. God bless and peace.

Shana... why on earth would LOVE ever require someone to be beaten and crucified??
The idea that "to be beaten and crucified" is somehow NECESSARY is preposterous.
Much less that LOVE required it, sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
.sparrow, if you cannot understand what I've already shared, you'll have to ask God on that day. I only share what has been revealed to us which I shared earlier. God gave Jesus over to be beaten and crucifed so that we will live.

Acts 2
22 “Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man [r]attested to you by God with [s]miracles and wonders and [t]signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know— 23this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of [u]godless men and put Him to death.

1 Peter 2:24
21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, 22 who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth; 23 [w]and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously; 24 and He Himself [x]bore our sins in His body on the [y]cross, so that we might die to [z]sin and live to righteousness; for by His [aa]wounds you were healed. 25 For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and [ab]Guardian of your souls.

2 Corinthians 5:21

21 For our sake He (God) made Him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.

Isaiah 53:5
And he is pierced for our transgressions, Bruised for our iniquities, The chastisement of our peace [is] on him, And by his bruise there is healing to us.

It can't get any clearer than that to me. God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-21-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Shana... why on earth would LOVE ever require someone to be beaten and crucified??
The idea that "to be beaten and crucified" is somehow NECESSARY is preposterous.
Much less that LOVE required it, sister.
Sparrow,
although God can give you better answers than I can, there is a thought I'd like to share about your question.
There are many ways that people die. Crucifixion is probably not the most cruel way, imo. But that's not the point.

The point is that suffering is a part of life; we all take part in it, either directly or indirectly. It's not the evil in itself that's important, it's the things we learn from the suffering that we can't learn when all is nice and well.

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 PM

Ok folks,
let's say I am diagnosed with a terminal illness, or in a serious accident.

According to what I'm reading on this thread, this suffering is something I brought upon myself.

On one hand, I could think this is true. However, telling a person in such a condition that they brought it upon themself is probably worse than telling them that God ordained it. Or no?

Peace,
brian

Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM

342 posts, read 407,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Ok folks,

According to what I'm reading on this thread, this suffering is something I brought upon myself.

On one hand, I could think this is true. However, telling a person in such a condition that they brought it upon themself is probably worse than telling them that God ordained it. Or no?

Peace,
brian
I have not been following this thread but not all bad things are brought on by our actions. Just read the book of Job.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Ok folks,

Peace,
brian
You are using a false dichotmomy, brian. It is NEITHER. It is one of the myriad things we are to overcome and endure on earth because we were given Dominion here and things just happen! It is neither evil nor good because no human Will was involved. If someone GAVE you a terminal illness or caused a serious accident by a traceable cause and effect from their WILLFUL actions . . . THAT would be evil.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are using a false dichotmomy, brian. It is NEITHER. It is one of the myriad things we are to overcome and endure on earth because we were given Dominion here and things just happen! It is neither evil nor good because no human Will was involved. If someone GAVE you a terminal illness or caused a serious accident by a traceable cause and effect from their WILLFUL actions . . . THAT would be evil.
Finally a post I can understand!

Ok. So what if someone comes along and socks me in the face? Is that evil?

(BTW, in Isaiah where God says, "I form the light and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" some Bibles interpret the "ra" word which means "evil" to mean natural disasters, etc. So these Bible translations would be incorrect, based on your post.) (I'm not saying that they are right or not, just that the word "ra" seems to be a hard pill to swallow for some.)

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Ok folks,

Peace,
brian
Actually Brian it does not, you cannot help but process such a statement as being God being against you, and left with no hope. To think about being healed from a terminal illness that God put on you would surely be you resisting him, Jesus of Nazareth went about healing all who were oppressed of the devil(not God). Christians need freeing from the the belief that God is the cause of their woes,

Scripture is clear if we sow from the flesh we will reap destruction from it.

If I have to be told I am the cause of that in my life which I do not like, keep telling me please, and if it means calling me a fool do so too.

A fool’s lips bring him strife,
and his mouth invites a beating.
A fool’s mouth is his undoing,
and his lips are a snare to his soul. Proverbs 18:6-7

Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Finally a post I can understand!
Ok. So what if someone comes along and socks me in the face? Is that evil?
Yes . . . it is an unloving willful act. It is NOT agape love.
Quote:
(BTW, in Isaiah where God says, "I form the light and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" some Bibles interpret the "ra" word which means "evil" to mean natural disasters, etc. So these Bible translations would be incorrect, based on your post.) (I'm not saying that they are right or not, just that the word "ra" seems to be a hard pill to swallow for some.)
Natural ANYTHING can NOT be evil if no human Will is involved. God's very existence (not Will) "forms the light and creates darkness" and the things that manifest in our reality. Our task is to overcome and endure those that have negative consequences for us and avoid creating evil by our human Will by loving God and each other. It is not easy

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-21-2013 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Actually Brian it does not, you cannot help but process such a statement as being God being against you, and left with no hope. To think about being healed from a terminal illness that God put on you would surely be you resisting him, Jesus of Nazareth went about healing all who were oppressed of the devil(not God). Christians need freeing from the the belief that God is the cause of their woes,

Scripture is clear if we sow from the flesh we will reap destruction from it.

If I have to be told I am the cause of that in my life which I do not like, keep telling me please, and if it means calling me a fool do so too.

A fool’s lips bring him strife,
and his mouth invites a beating.
A fool’s mouth is his undoing,
and his lips are a snare to his soul. Proverbs 18:6-7
This ^^^ seems pretty much in line with what I'm saying, I think. Job's lips brought him much suffering.

However, I don't say that we are without hope. Not at all.

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity