U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 AM

14,752 posts, read 27,531,502 times

Advertisements

I meant to ask this before.

Have you ever heard a devout Catholic, Christian, or fundamentalist say "I'll pray for John" or "I'll pray for Jane?" These people did NOT ask for their prayers. Generally, it's the devout "holier than thou" person passing judgment on someone's point of view that doesn't agree with theirs.

Generally, if someone has an illness or has had something bad occur to them, they usually say "I'm going to include John or Jane in my prayers; you should, too, because of (event)."

I rarely pray for myself. I pray for others if they ask me to. I pray for others if something has happened and I want them to get a better outcome. I don't pray for someone as a form of condescension.

Have you heard this before (paragraph 1)? Does it irritate you as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,569,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Have you ever heard a devout Catholic, Christian, or fundamentalist say "I'll pray for John" or "I'll pray for Jane?" These people did NOT ask for their prayers. Generally, it's the devout "holier than thou" person passing judgment on someone's point of view that doesn't agree with theirs.

Generally, if someone has an illness or has had something bad occur to them, they usually say "I'm going to include John or Jane in my prayers; you should, too, because of (event)."

I rarely pray for myself. I pray for others if they ask me to. I pray for others if something has happened and I want them to get a better outcome. I don't pray for someone as a form of condescension.

Of course we've all heard it before where there is condescension. Or worse a tone of sarcasm in the heat of a disagreement: i.e. ("I WILL PRAY FOR YOU, BUDDY !) as a type of insult to one's dignity. However, I'm sure sometimes it is also said with sincerity as well depending on the setting. Jesus said not to pray in public. Is "church" public? Seems like it to me.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 AM

342 posts, read 319,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Of course we've all heard it before where there is condescension. Or worse a tone of sarcasm in the heat of a disagreement: i.e. ("I WILL PRAY FOR YOU, BUDDY !) as a type of insult to one's dignity. However, I'm sure sometimes it is also said with sincerity as well depending on the setting. Jesus said not to pray in public. Is "church" public? Seems like it to me.
If I tell someone I will be praying for them it is to show that I care enough to bring them before God. Even if we are disagreeing on something, I am to love them and I know of no greater way to show love for someone than to present them before God and ask for His blessings upon them.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,569,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham It Up! View Post
If I tell someone I will be praying for them it is to show that I care enough to bring them before God. Even if we are disagreeing on something, I am to love them and I know of no greater way to show love for someone than to present them before God and ask for His blessings upon them.
But you can also do that without telling them "I'll be praying for you", particularly if you are having a disagreement because it can sound condescending, or do you not understand that concept? It can come off as sounding like "There is something wrong with you - I'll ask God to fix it." It might sound more humble if you asked your brother to pray for you. I actually think it can be sort of rude to tell someone "I'll be praying for you" if that person has not asked you to do so. If you are sincere, you can keep it a secret.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,340,215 times
Quote:

Have you ever heard a devout Catholic, Christian, or fundamentalist say "I'll pray for John" or "I'll pray for Jane?"

Yes. I've heard it.

It doesn't bother me at all. That's what devout people do. They pray. It's the most natural thing in the world for a devout person to pray. And if they say it out loud.... so what? They aren't preaching hate. They're just saying they'll be praying.

If they say something like, "I'll be praying for John because he's a heathen and he's going to burn for all eternity because he doesn't go to church." and they are tossing in their judgement of John's soul then I'd have a problem.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If they say something like, "I'll be praying for John because he's a heathen and he's going to burn for all eternity because he doesn't go to church." and they are tossing in their judgement of John's soul then I'd have a problem.
Well, they don't say the last part, but if one reads between the lines, it's implied. The conversation could have been about someone's voting pattern and it ends with "I'll pray for him, or her." So, yes, I am complaining about the ones that come in a judgmental context.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,970,063 times
Quote:

maybe they genuinely care and are going to pray for their well-being. I've never met anyone that didn't appreciate prayers for them.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,340,215 times
Quote:
Well, they don't say the last part, but if one reads between the lines, it's implied. The conversation could have been about someone's voting pattern and it ends with "I'll pray for him, or her." So, yes, I am complaining about the ones that come in a judgmental context.
As in: "My aunt is voting for Obama" and the second person (who doesn't like the President) says, "I'll pray for her."?

If it's that.... no. That's not right, IMO.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,970,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
As in: "My aunt is voting for Obama" and the second person (who doesn't like the President) says, "I'll pray for her."?

If it's that.... no. That's not right, IMO.
lol....those people NEED to be prayed for!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM

In most situations, the "I'll pray for (name)," said when there has been neither a request nor an adverse situation, IS a form of condescension. I can also tell you that the person who made the comment is the person who needs the prayers. Every single person I know who has said this did not have their house in order. Far from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or