Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:09 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

I was listening to a Christian radio station last week, and it is the same one that had the announcer who said that the best thing in his life was waking up that morning and knowing that he was not going to hell. I think this was the same person who asked a caller last week, who was thinking of becoming a Christian, "If you had to meet God today, what would you say if God asked you, 'Why should I let you into heaven?"

Is this what it is all about to so many, getting into heaven or going to eternal hell? I hope and pray that many more hearts will be opened to know that life is all about knowing the Only True God and Jesus Christ, whom He sent. Growing in the love and knowledge of God, living the best life right here and now, walking with Him, growing in Him, changing, being tranformed into His image, experiencing salvation, not only in the life to come, but here and now, developing those fruits of His Spirit- love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulnes, gentleness, self-control: against these things there is no law." Galatians 5:22. The world needs to see these in believers today.

And it isn't about escaping some eternal hell, but it is about having a relationship with God, the best relationship that we could ever have. It is just the opposite of what the world sees as living the life. It is the victorious life of walking with God, the best life that there is to live.

John 17 "These things spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to the heaven, and said -- `Father, the hour hath come, glorify Thy Son, that Thy Son also may glorify Thee,
2 according as Thou didst give to him authority over all flesh, that -- all that Thou hast given to him -- He may give to them life age-during;
3 and this is the life age-during, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and him whom Thou didst send -- Jesus Christ;" (Young's Literal)

God bless and peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I was listening to a Christian radio station last week, and it is the same one that had the announcer who said that the best thing in his life was waking up that morning and knowing that he was not going to hell. I think this was the same person who asked a caller last week, who was thinking of becoming a Christian, "If you had to meet God today, what would you say if God asked you, 'Why should I let you into heaven?"

Is this what it is all about to so many, getting into heaven or going to eternal hell?
YES, that is what it's all about for a lot of people. Covering one's assets, fire insurance . . . an obsessive fear, which makes sense if you actually believe God has an eternal torture chamber with people in it, some of whom once walked the earth and you loved them and they loved you.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:51 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
That was beautiful, Shana! The title of your thread, "Why should I let you into heaven?" reminded me of something I once read in a book called "Believing Christ." It was a conversation between a believing Christian and Jesus Christ. But it was more along the lines of the Christian asking Christ, "Why should you let me into heaven?" Here's how it went...

Christian: But why would You do this for me?
Christ: Because I love you.
Christian: But it doesn't seem fair.
Christ: That's right. It's not fir at all, -- it's merciful. It is, after all, a gift.
Christian: But how can I possibly deserve such a gift?
Christ: Don't be silly. You can't. You don't. This gift is offered because I love you and want to help you, not because I owe it to you.
Christian: But how can I ever repay you?
Christ: There you go again. Don't you get it yet? You can't repay me, not you or all the billions like you. Gifts of this magnitude can never be repaid. For what I've done out of love for you, you can only love me back, and seek to become what I am -- a giver of good gifts.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:56 PM

Thank you, Katzpur, I love that conversation and it's so true. God bless and peace.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
I'm always a little surprised by the redundantly expressed perception of many that the only reason Christians seek God or Christ is out of fear of 'eternal torment in hell.' Where in the world does this notion come from ... except, perhaps, from the minds of those who fear hell? Even if fear of hell is initially a motive of some, there is certainly no scriptural support for a belief that one can enter God's eternal kingdom or heaven ... as a result of fearing or wanting to escape hell ... or simply desiring to enter heaven. Further, just because one believes what the Bible says about eternal condemnation and hell, does not mean that one lives in fear of these things.

Most Christians I've know over the years have instead responded to the knowledge of their own sin and of God's Love and offer of forgiveness and eternal relationship with Him through Jesus Christ ... in a Spirit of joy and thanksgiving! They realize that this fallen world and its systems are temporary and that 'real life' can only be lived in God's Holy Spirit ... in this world, and more importantly, in eternity beyond.

The sometimes posed question of "Why should I let you into heaven?" --- only seeks to shift the thinking of many from the foolish notion that their own works, merit or effort are the path to God. It simply asks people to recognize that their Salvation comes only by Faith in Jesus Christ through God's Grace alone.

When it comes down to final things, neither God, Jesus Christ, St. Peter nor anyone else will ask anyone to justify "Why they should be let into heaven?" That answer will have already been completely settled by their faith in Jesus Christ during this lifetime. Those on this narrow road will enter into God's eternal presence; ... all others will continue on the 'wide road that leads to destruction' -- which they chose by rejecting/ignoring God's love in Jesus Christ ... during their earthly lifetime.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I'm always a little surprised by the redundantly expressed perception of many that the only reason Christians seek God or Christ is out of fear of 'eternal torment in hell.' Where in the world does this notion come from ... except, perhaps, from the minds of those who fear hell?
Hi, it is sad to me that I have heard this expression over and over, the desire to escape what is believed to be an eternal hell and the desire to make it into heaven, just as I heard on this radio station. I hear it from family members, co workers and so on. It seems to be the main focus for many, not all, but many. Evidently there is a lot of fear of an eternal hell and this seems to be the main motivation for many, instead of really understanding why Jesus came to us and died and rose for us.

I hope and pray that this radio announcer will one day move beyond this kind of mindset.

God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-12-2013 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 03:54 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:

Is this what it is all about to so many, getting into heaven or going to eternal hell? I hope and pray that many more hearts will be opened to know that life is all about knowing the Only True God and Jesus Christ, whom He sent. Growing in the love and knowledge of God, living the best life right here and now, walking with Him, growing in Him, changing, being tranformed into His image, experiencing salvation, not only in the life to come, but here and now, developing those fruits of His Spirit- love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulnes, gentleness, self-control: against these things there is no law." Galatians 5:22. The world needs to see these in believers today.

And it isn't about escaping some eternal hell, but it is about having a relationship with God, the best relationship that we could ever have. It is just the opposite of what the world sees as living the life. It is the victorious life of walking with God, the best life that there is to live.

John 17 "These things spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to the heaven, and said -- `Father, the hour hath come, glorify Thy Son, that Thy Son also may glorify Thee,
2 according as Thou didst give to him authority over all flesh, that -- all that Thou hast given to him -- He may give to them life age-during;
3 and this is the life age-during, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and him whom Thou didst send -- Jesus Christ;" (Young's Literal)

God bless and peace.
I believe it's about all of the above. An eternal home with Christ one day, and the abundant life now.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:

God bless and peace.
Actually, the redemption of mankind is what it was all about. That's why Revelation concludes with the picture of the new heaven and new earth after evil has been defeated.

It's not about living a happy, cheery life today. It's about eternity.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
*edited* because I don't want to derail the thread.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 01-12-2013 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's not about living a happy, cheery life today. It's about eternity.
Of course not, you should be miserable and sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity