Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 05:06 AM

525 posts, read 347,828 times

Advertisements

Hannibal Flavius,
re: "Hanibal Flavius, Hannibal Flavius, lol."

I'm missing the humor. I wonder if you might explain what is so funny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 05:35 AM

10,009 posts, read 4,953,414 times
[quote=peacecrusader888;53686863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
The Messiah said that 3 night times would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth". There are those who believe that the Messiah died on the 6th day of the week and who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the time between the leaving of His spirit from His body and His resurrection on the 1st day of the week. However, this belief allows for only 2 night times to be involved. To reconcile this discrepancy some say that the Messiah was using common Jewish figure of speech/colloquial language of the time. I am simply asking if anyone knows of examples to support that assertion; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.[/QUOTE
This is post #144. Your heading is "Matthew 12:40". You, rstrats, should change the heading.
I find there are times when the Hebrews used the word ' night' to mean just a portion as found at 1st Kings 12:5,12.
So, that was a portion of each day as seen by the fact that the people came back on the 3rd day.
At Matthew 12:40 the same meaning is given to the 3 days and 3 nights of Jesus in the grave - Acts 2:27.
God raising or resurrection Jesus on the 3rd day - Matthew 27:62-66; Matthew 28:1-6.
This is why those Jewish priests wanted to block Jesus from being resurrected.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:49 AM

23,123 posts, read 10,422,897 times
Quote:
Hannibal Flavius,
re: "Hanibal Flavius, Hannibal Flavius, lol."

I'm missing the humor. I wonder if you might explain what is so funny?
What you are talking about is a none issue, besides, you are concerned with traditions and days of a religion you don't know or study. Let me ask you a question, '' What is the first day of the week?''

Old 02-06-2019, 07:10 AM

Hannibal Flavius,
re: "What you are talking about is a none issue..."

Not to me with regard to this topic. And I still don't see why it is so humorous.

re: "...besides, you are concerned with traditions and days of a religion you don't know or study."

For the purpose of this topic I'm concerned with one thing and only one thing: If someone says that it was common in the 1st century or earlier to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur, then I would like to see examples to support the assertion of commonality.

re: "Let me ask you a question, 'What is the first day of the week?'''

In the U.S. it's the beginning day of a seven day week.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:16 AM

Matthew 4:4,
re: "I find there are times when the Hebrews used the word ' night' to mean just a portion...

But when did they ever use the word 'night' when no part of a 'night' was involved?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Hannibal Flavius,
re: "What you are talking about is a none issue..."

Not to me with regard to this topic. And I still don't see why is so humorous.

re: "...besides, you are concerned with traditions and days of a religion you don't know or study."

For the purpose of this topic I'm concerned with one thing and only one thing: If someone says that it was common in the 1st century or earlier to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur, then I would like to see examples to support the assertion of commonality.

re: "Let me ask you a question, 'What is the first day of the week?'''

In the U.S. it's the beginning day of a seven day week.
I read what you said 3 times, and maybe I am slow, but I can't fugure out what you are saying. Are we talking about the bible?

If I ask somebody what the first day of the week is, there is only one answer, and that answer is a question,'' What week?

Example, Passover begins a week of Passover, but what day of the week is that?

There are 7 weeks that one counts the omer and this begins on the Passover Sabbath, so what does the first day of the first week of the omer begin on?

What time of the day begins the first day of a week?

Old 02-06-2019, 08:14 AM

Hannibal Flavius,
re: "Are we talking about the bible?"

Any examples from scripture or non-scripture will be satisfactory.

And the rest of your questions have nothing to do with this topic.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Hannibal Flavius,
re: "Are we talking about the bible?"

Any examples from scripture or non-scripture will be satisfactory.

And the rest of your questions have nothing to do with this topic.
I have no idea what you are asking.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:51 AM

Hannibal Flavius,
re: "I have no idea what you are asking."

Perhaps a different format of previous posts will help:

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who believe that a calendar day begins and ends at sunset.

3. Of those there are some who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

4. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body).

5. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

6. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

7. I am simply asking anyone who falls in that group of believers above to provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Hannibal Flavius,
re: "I have no idea what you are asking."

Perhaps a different format of previous posts will help:

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who believe that a calendar day begins and ends at sunset.

3. Of those there are some who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

4. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body).

5. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

6. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

7. I am simply asking anyone who falls in that group of believers above to provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.
Again, it is a none issue, you aren't understanding how much Gentiles don't know the language of Sabbaths and days, but you can be sure about one thing, those gospels were poured over by people who DID understand the language of Sabbaths and times, ACTUAL People who know and practice Judaism. It's a none issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity