Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:24 PM

342 posts, read 407,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
No, she really doesn't understand.
A prowling lion doesn't have it's victim's spiritual interest at heart.
Well put. I have personal knowledge of how a few different groups work. I know when a JW want's to do a "bible" study with you their goal is to convert you to their religion. Same with the CoC when they offer you their "free bible study" as well as when the Mormons want you to let the Missionaries come and teach you or do they call it "discussions"? I know at one time that is what it was called. It's part of their way to gain new members. Now if your one of them you see this as a good thing. If you are not then maybe not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
I'm really amazed at how paranoid everybody (including the OP) seems to be with regards to listening to someone's point of view other than their own. What is there to be afraid of? Do you have so little faith in your own convictions that you don't dare listen to what someone with a different perspective has to say? Do you honestly feel you can be converted to another denomination against your will? What is it that makes people so afraid of each other? Is it just a total lack of self-confidence or what?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:34 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
No, she really doesn't understand.
A prowling lion doesn't have it's victim's spiritual interest at heart.
So if the OP wanted to study the Bible with you, twin, would she have to be equally cautious? Or wouldn't you be considered "a prowling lion"?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm really amazed at how paranoid everybody (including the OP) seems to be with regards to listening to someone's point of view other than their own. What is there to be afraid of? Do you have so little faith in your own convictions that you don't dare listen to what someone with a different perspective has to say? Do you honestly feel you can be converted to another denomination against your will? What is it that makes people so afraid of each other? Is it just a total lack of self-confidence or what?
Who's paranoid? I was just telling her what was going on. It's not just to share ideas but make converts. Simple truth. I have had all 3 in my home. I am equipped enough to have the discussion and defend my faith. Actually when the Mormon boy's came by I used my own set of discussion books along with them. Kind of surprised them that I had that. I think they have changed the program they use since then though.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 PM

867 posts, read 1,587,841 times
We had talked before about this, and I told her that I have no intention of converting. I am a mainstream Christian. It works for me. I would just like to understand the bible better, if only for my own knowledge.

My concern for her, is that while she may have told me that she doesn't want to "convert" me, she really does but doesn't realize it. Or maybe she does.

She's a nice lady though.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
We had talked before about this, and I told her that I have no intention of converting. I am a mainstream Christian. It works for me. I would just like to understand the bible better, if only for my own knowledge.

My concern for her, is that while she may have told me that she doesn't want to "convert" me, she really does but doesn't realize it. Or maybe she does.

She's a nice lady though.
Well I commend you for wanting to study God's word. I would suggest you stay away from such groups though. You need to stay with those who are sound in their doctrine. There goal will be to make you question what you believe.

Do you have satellite or cable tv? I could suggest at least one very sound study program I would recommend.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I work with a lady who is a "witness". She is very nice, funny and friendly. We have some great talks about life and stuff.

She has asked me if I want to study the bible with her. I am Christian, and have nothing against Witnesses or any other religion or belief.

I do want to read the bible more and learn about it, so I wouldn't mind studying it with someone who is knowledgable about it.

My only reservation is what are her expectations. I've told her I don't want to leave my religion and be a JW. She said that's fine.

Now before anyone thinks I am being prejudice, please know that I have never met a JW or talked to one (to my knowledge). I always knew them as the people that come to the door.

So my real question is, does she really understand that I only want to study the bible but that I will not be converting?

I still haven't said yes b/c I dont' want to get into an awkward situation.

Any advice?
My advice to you would be for you to attend your Sunday School or Mid-Week bible study at your church. I am sorta shocked that if you are interested in bible study, you haven't told your pastor or church leaders about your interest in bible study. If your church doesn't offer any type of Sunday School or bible study, then maybe you need to pray about attending another church.

Also, you need to know that JWs main motive is recruit and invite non JW co-workers, friends, and family members to their weekly meetings and home based bible studies. The home based bible studies are typically held conveniently at the new recruits home. They typically will make frequent house visits bringing other recruits with them to study their publications with you. I know this because my mother in law is a devout JW. JWs have a new publication that they are using with new recruits. The name of the book is called "What Does the Bible Really Teach? When being introduced to this book by a JW, who wouldn't want to study what the bible really teaches?

Thus, it's an effective publication to get people, who really have no point of reference or any biblical knowledge to challenge them on certain doctrinal topics when they come up in this publication. The publication, in my opinion, is written to make you question our Christian beliefs against theirs, while also, cleverly indoctrinating you to believe their teachings as Scriptural.

I have read the publication, and being a serious bible student, the book is strictly written to slowly get you to believe that the traditional teachings of the church is demonically influenced and that any form of worship outside of what the JW organization teaches is not true worship. Again, this book is strictly designed to steer you away from believing orthodoxed church teachings to believing basically what their beliefs are.

Once you have bought in and completed studying "What Does the Bible Really Teach" publication, then they will introduce you to another publication that will even indoctrinate you more about their beliefs and why now you shouldn't be wanting to attend church anymore nor be around family and friends who are discouraging you from studying THE TRUTH. You will hear your bible study teacher say this a lot about being in the truth, and how Jehovah has opened up their minds to this truth, and that your studying with them is a blessing from Jehovah because HE wants to steer you to the truth as well.

In addition, I would say you would go through a series of their publications, and once you have finished studying them, attended their weekly meetings, and perhaps even gone out with your bible study teacher on field service (their door to door witnessing or passing out Watchtower Magazines), she may send an elder from their Kingdom Hall to talk to you about becoming baptized.

So again, you won't just be having a bible study with your JW coworker. Trust me, I have been there and done that with them before. She will be trying her best to get you to convert, no matter how many times you say to her that you don't want to leave your religion or church. She would hope that their publications would do it for you. Get it?

There is a good book for all serious bible student to read called "Systematic Theology" by Wayne Grudem. He covers every biblical topic, and explains how all of the doctrines were started by the different denominations, and he lets you use to bible to study to see where you stand on those biblical topics. Its a big thick book but worth the purchase if you just want to get a good overview on biblical topics by an author who isn't trying to convert you to be a Baptist, Mormon, JW, or Catholic. He's just simply showing you all of those positions on those topics and how those religions adopted their interpretations. I hope I wasn't too long winded but I felt that I had to answer your question thoroughly to be helpful.

God Bless!!

Last edited by antredd; 01-18-2013 at 12:46 AM..

Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
My advice to you would be for you to attend your Sunday School or Mid-Week bible study at your church. I am sorta shocked that if you are interested in bible study, you haven't told your pastor or church leaders about your interest in bible study. If your church doesn't offer any type of Sunday School or bible study, then maybe you need to pray about attending another church.

Also, you need to know that JWs main motive is recruit and invite non JW co-workers, friends, and family members to their weekly meetings and home based bible studies. The home based bible studies are typically held conveniently at the new recruits home. They typically will make frequent house visits bringing other recruits with them to study their publications with you. I know this because my mother in law is a devout JW. JWs have a new publication that they are using with new recruits. The name of the book is called "What Does the Bible Really Teach? When being introduced to this book by a JW, who wouldn't want to study what the bible really teaches?

Thus, it's an effective publication to get people, who really have no point of reference or any biblical knowledge to challenge them on certain doctrinal topics when they come up in this publication. The publication, in my opinion, is written to make you question our Christian beliefs against theirs, while also, cleverly indoctrinating you to believe their teachings as Scriptural.

I have read the publication, and being a serious bible student, the book is strictly written to slowly get you to believe that the traditional teachings of the church is demonically influenced and that any form of worship outside of what the JW organization teaches is not true worship. Again, this book is strictly designed to steer you away from believing orthodoxed church teachings to believing basically what their beliefs are.

Once you have bought in and completed studying "What Does the Bible Really Teach" publication, then they will introduce you to another publication that will even indoctrinate you more about their beliefs and why now you shouldn't be wanting to attend church anymore nor be around family and friends who are discouraging you from studying THE TRUTH. You will hear your bible study teacher say this a lot about being in the truth, and how Jehovah has opened up their minds to this truth, and that your studying with them is a blessing from Jehovah because HE wants to steer you to the truth as well.

In addition, I would say you would go through a series of their publications, and once you have finished studying them, attended their weekly meetings, and perhaps even gone out with your bible study teacher on field service (their door to door witnessing or passing out Watchtower Magazines), she may send an elder from their Kingdom Hall to talk to you about becoming baptized.

So again, you won't just be having a bible study with your JW coworker. Trust me, I have been there and don't that with them before. She will be trying her best to get you to convert, no matter how many times you say to her that you don't want to leave your religion or church. She would hope that their publications would do it for you. Get it?

There is a good book for all serious bible student to read called "Systematic Theology" by Wayne Grudem. He covers every biblical topic, and explains how all of the doctrines were started by the different denominations, and he lets you use to bible to study to see where you stand on those biblical topics. Its a big thick book but worth the purchase if you just want to get a good overview on biblical topics by an author who isn't trying to convert you to be a Baptist, Mormon, JW, or Catholic. He's just simply showing you all of those positions on those topics and how those religions adopted their interpretations. I hope I wasn't too long winded but I felt that I had to answer your question thoroughly to be helpful.

God Bless!!

^^^^
luckygirl15, the post above is excellent advice and what antredd has shared with you, you can definitely trust !!!

PLEASE..... listen to him and other posters in whom God is warning you through !!

Blessings to you

Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
^^^^
luckygirl15, the post above is excellent advice and what antredd has shared with you, you can definitely trust !!!

PLEASE..... listen to him and other posters in whom God is warning you through !!

Blessings to you
God bless you for your kind words. But I really just felt lead by God to be long winded, which I can be but this time, I needed to be as thorough as possible but not too wordy where she would go, dang Antredd, can you just be a little less wordy.

Also, I was lead to start a new thread on this topic, because I am sensing something amazing about to happen with this topic. God is good all of the time, and all of the time, God is Good.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
God bless you for your kind words. But I really just felt lead by God to be long winded, which I can be but this time, I needed to be as thorough as possible but not too wordy where she would go, dang Antredd, can you just be a little less wordy.

Also, I was lead to start a new thread on this topic, because I am sensing something amazing about to happen with this topic. God is good all of the time, and all of the time, God is Good.
Ahhhh, but sometimes long winded and wordy is a good thing..... amen

Yes, I agree and am "sensing something amazing about to happen with this topic. God is good all of the time, and all of the time, God is Good" AMEN !!!

Blessings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity