U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 AM
 
766 posts, read 1,229,963 times
Reputation: 1087

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
My advice to you would be for you to attend your Sunday School or Mid-Week bible study at your church. I am sorta shocked that if you are interested in bible study, you haven't told your pastor or church leaders about your interest in bible study. If your church doesn't offer any type of Sunday School or bible study, then maybe you need to pray about attending another church.

Also, you need to know that JWs main motive is recruit and invite non JW co-workers, friends, and family members to their weekly meetings and home based bible studies. The home based bible studies are typically held conveniently at the new recruits home. They typically will make frequent house visits bringing other recruits with them to study their publications with you. I know this because my mother in law is a devout JW. JWs have a new publication that they are using with new recruits. The name of the book is called "What Does the Bible Really Teach? When being introduced to this book by a JW, who wouldn't want to study what the bible really teaches?

Thus, it's an effective publication to get people, who really have no point of reference or any biblical knowledge to challenge them on certain doctrinal topics when they come up in this publication. The publication, in my opinion, is written to make you question our Christian beliefs against theirs, while also, cleverly indoctrinating you to believe their teachings as Scriptural.

I have read the publication, and being a serious bible student, the book is strictly written to slowly get you to believe that the traditional teachings of the church is demonically influenced and that any form of worship outside of what the JW organization teaches is not true worship. Again, this book is strictly designed to steer you away from believing orthodoxed church teachings to believing basically what their beliefs are.

Once you have bought in and completed studying "What Does the Bible Really Teach" publication, then they will introduce you to another publication that will even indoctrinate you more about their beliefs and why now you shouldn't be wanting to attend church anymore nor be around family and friends who are discouraging you from studying THE TRUTH. You will hear your bible study teacher say this a lot about being in the truth, and how Jehovah has opened up their minds to this truth, and that your studying with them is a blessing from Jehovah because HE wants to steer you to the truth as well.

In addition, I would say you would go through a series of their publications, and once you have finished studying them, attended their weekly meetings, and perhaps even gone out with your bible study teacher on field service (their door to door witnessing or passing out Watchtower Magazines), she may send an elder from their Kingdom Hall to talk to you about becoming baptized.

So again, you won't just be having a bible study with your JW coworker. Trust me, I have been there and done that with them before. She will be trying her best to get you to convert, no matter how many times you say to her that you don't want to leave your religion or church. She would hope that their publications would do it for you. Get it?

There is a good book for all serious bible student to read called "Systematic Theology" by Wayne Grudem. He covers every biblical topic, and explains how all of the doctrines were started by the different denominations, and he lets you use to bible to study to see where you stand on those biblical topics. Its a big thick book but worth the purchase if you just want to get a good overview on biblical topics by an author who isn't trying to convert you to be a Baptist, Mormon, JW, or Catholic. He's just simply showing you all of those positions on those topics and how those religions adopted their interpretations. I hope I wasn't too long winded but I felt that I had to answer your question thoroughly to be helpful.

God Bless!!

Yes, she actually did give me a copy of What Does The Bible Really Teach. I looked through it but thought it was written for children. It's a really "simple" book. She also gives me literature from the JW - watchtower and such. The literature is only interesting to me for the reason of looking at how another reliation sees the world. Let's me see their view, which I don't mind doing for any religion. I just have no intention of becoming a JW because that's just not for me.

Also for the bible study, she wants to bring her friend along. I don't know this friend and feel a little funny about it.

I think in the end, nobody does something for nothing. I just want some bible study but she most likely has other ideas. It's like going on a date with a guy. You just want to meet new people and get out of the house and he is thinking of something more serious. It's never a good idea to do that.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 AM
 
Location: In the ♥ of the DIXIE!
342 posts, read 319,712 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
Yes, she actually did give me a copy of What Does The Bible Really Teach. I looked through it but thought it was written for children. It's a really "simple" book. She also gives me literature from the JW - watchtower and such. The literature is only interesting to me for the reason of looking at how another reliation sees the world. Let's me see their view, which I don't mind doing for any religion. I just have no intention of becoming a JW because that's just not for me.

Also for the bible study, she wants to bring her friend along. I don't know this friend and feel a little funny about it.

I think in the end, nobody does something for nothing. I just want some bible study but she most likely has other ideas. It's like going on a date with a guy. You just want to meet new people and get out of the house and he is thinking of something more serious. It's never a good idea to do that.
I would point out that one of the first signs your dealing with a cult is they try to convince you the bible say's something different. To get members they have to convince people that God's word is wrong or does not mean what it say's. Always line things up with God's word and not the other way around. That's why God gave us our bible.

Now you will see people jump on what I just told you because it prevents them from gaining new members to their faith. Some on this forum may attack it and me as well. Just watch. And remember what that means.

God bless you as you seek to know Him better.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 02:10 AM
 
3,259 posts, read 5,107,413 times
Reputation: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
Yes, she actually did give me a copy of What Does The Bible Really Teach. I looked through it but thought it was written for children. It's a really "simple" book. She also gives me literature from the JW - watchtower and such. The literature is only interesting to me for the reason of looking at how another reliation sees the world. Let's me see their view, which I don't mind doing for any religion. I just have no intention of becoming a JW because that's just not for me.

Also for the bible study, she wants to bring her friend along. I don't know this friend and feel a little funny about it.

I think in the end, nobody does something for nothing. I just want some bible study but she most likely has other ideas. It's like going on a date with a guy. You just want to meet new people and get out of the house and he is thinking of something more serious. It's never a good idea to do that.
If I am not mistaken, the person who will come with her is one who was probably recently baptized and is in training to be a bible teacher as well. It's interesting how you said that the What Does the Bible Really Teach appears to be written for children. It is an easy read, but they have cleverly written it to slowly INDOCTRINATE YOU, and once you start to agree with their theology, then they know that they will have you coming to their meetings and eventually becoming baptized. What I didn't know is that once you are ready to become baptized, they will ask you to formally leave your church and to write them a letter or use one of their letters to denounce the church's teachings as false over the true teachings of the Watchtower.

I applaud your wanting to study the bible and are open to all other religions. To be honest, I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to study with any religious group as long as your motives are right. I just hope and pray that you, prayerfully read the bible for yourself and ask God, with the help of the Holy Spirit to guide you to the truth. He will if you trust Him over man or religion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 02:14 AM
 
3,259 posts, read 5,107,413 times
Reputation: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham It Up! View Post
I would point out that one of the first signs your dealing with a cult is they try to convince you the bible say's something different. To get members they have to convince people that God's word is wrong or does not mean what it say's. Always line things up with God's word and not the other way around. That's why God gave us our bible.

Now you will see people jump on what I just told you because it prevents them from gaining new members to their faith. Some on this forum may attack it and me as well. Just watch. And remember what that means.

God bless you as you seek to know Him better.
When the devil is busy, he must do what ever he can to deceive as many people as he can. That's why it's so imperative that we keep spreading the gospel and pray before we type on any christian forum. I didn't realize how much people pay attention to what I say or type on these forums. On one hand, it's a blessing to know that people are willing to take the time to read what I type to disagree with me, LOL. But on the other hand it can be quite frustrating when all they want to do is tear down what I believe as biblical and want to debate about God's word that clearly says reprove and correct instead of foolishly arguing about topics that are clearly supported by Scripture.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 AM
 
43 posts, read 71,478 times
Reputation: 33
Part of what JW's have to do is go door to door to "prove" that they are in the "truth", part of that is getting people do have book studies with them. Most of the time they will use the bible(even yours) and one of their Watchtower books that is designed from the first chapter to be real broad in its teaching and then as you go along it narrows more and more down to the "fact" that the JW organization is the only truth that God has on earth today. But most people not being very knowledgeable of what the bible teaches can be easily duped. Once people get this stuff in their heads when they don't have much else of the bible in there forms a foundation that can be hard to change no matter how much truth and facts you can present them. Even if you do not study with her she will feel she is being faithful to Jehovah and the organization by almost hooking you. The history of the JW's is one of false prophetcies(thought they deny it, but the facts in their own books and magazines about what they have said is there to uphold false prophetcies), very bad theology based on the fact that neither their founder nor others had much at all in way of degrees in Greek or Hebrew knowledge, so be careful about their bible "translation" as they think it is the best and truest of all bibles. There are some good web sites that could help you out. Having a great friend for 30 years that is a JW and now an elder in a Kingdom Hall made me search out lots of info over the years. God Bless you
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 AM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,786,640 times
Reputation: 1816
I'd say no, sorry you are unable to make this time. Then never talk about it again. Your protecting yourself, not being rude.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 AM
 
Location: US
26,372 posts, read 13,984,334 times
Reputation: 1600
[quote=Ham It Up!;27814426]It's not just to share ideas but make converts.[ /quote]

So is the goal of every other denomination...To convert...Even yours...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
 
Location: In the ♥ of the DIXIE!
342 posts, read 319,712 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

So is the goal of every other denomination...To convert...Even yours...
We do want to see people accept Jesus Christ. Can't deny that fact.

The point being, in light of the OP's question, is that the JW is not just wanting to have a bible study for the sake of having a bible study. But the sole purpose if they are seeking to convert her. I have bible studies with other Christians and no one there is trying to convert anyone. We only hope to all come to a better understanding of God's word. That's the difference here Richard.

Last edited by Ham It Up!; 01-20-2013 at 01:52 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:46 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,831,819 times
Reputation: 1302
As others have pointed out, there are certain warning signs that are common among false teachers \ religions or cults.

Antredd has mentioned in detail some of those very well, pugboy also touched on them.
"most people not being very knowledgeable of what the bible teaches can be easily duped."
A close observation of teaching\practices that a false teachers \ religions or cults will have one or more these characteristics:
  1. Denial of the trinity
  2. Makes salvation a progress that takes this life time, a progress in the hereafter ( work righteousness).
  3. Cults usually make demands of financial commitment (demand \ strongly require\ strongly request tithing)
  4. Demands of personal time beyond worship.
  5. Places a equal to \ higher authority and accurateness of the founders publications \ "scriptures"above the Bible.
  6. Makes salvation only possible through them \ organization rather than through Jesus.
  7. Rejects the message of the cross
  8. Practices secret ceremonies \ rituals
  9. leaving them risks the person being shunned or going to their version of hell.

What you've seen so far by other responses by people who are warning you, #4, #5, #6 are being fulfilled.

Luckygirl15, you will eventually come to learn that #1, #7, #8, #9 are coming down the pike.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM
 
Location: In the ♥ of the DIXIE!
342 posts, read 319,712 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
As others have pointed out, there are certain warning signs that are common among false teachers \ religions or cults.

Antredd has mentioned in detail some of those very well, pugboy also touched on them.
"most people not being very knowledgeable of what the bible teaches can be easily duped."
A close observation of teaching\practices that a false teachers \ religions or cults will have one or more these characteristics:
  1. Denial of the trinity
  2. Makes salvation a progress that takes this life time, a progress in the hereafter ( work righteousness).
  3. Cults usually make demands of financial commitment (demand \ strongly require\ strongly request tithing)
  4. Demands of personal time beyond worship.
  5. Places a equal to \ higher authority and accurateness of the founders publications \ "scriptures"above the Bible.
  6. Makes salvation only possible through them \ organization rather than through Jesus.
  7. Rejects the message of the cross
  8. Practices secret ceremonies \ rituals
  9. leaving them risks the person being shunned or going to their version of hell.

What you've seen so far by other responses by people who are warning you, #4, #5, #6 are being fulfilled.

Luckygirl15, you will eventually come to learn that #1, #7, #8, #9 are coming down the pike.
That's a good list Twin. While not every cult/false religion will have all of those any of those indicates your dealing with a cult/false religion.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top