U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 04:37 PM

11,822 posts, read 9,813,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham It Up! View Post
That's a good list Twin. While not every cult/false religion will have all of those any of those indicates your dealing with a cult/false religion.
True,
Not every single one has to be present to indicate what your dealing with ... but the light of God's Word that is the sole source of absolute truth makes it clear what a person is dealing with.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 11:05 PM

3,259 posts, read 5,098,130 times
[quote=Richard1965;27852023]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham It Up! View Post
It's not just to share ideas but make converts.[ /quote]

So is the goal of every other denomination...To convert...Even yours...
Convert, Richard is the key, not to believe what a religion teaches but to believe Jesus and trust Him.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:51 AM

862 posts, read 642,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I work with a lady who is a "witness". She is very nice, funny and friendly. We have some great talks about life and stuff.

She has asked me if I want to study the bible with her. I am Christian, and have nothing against Witnesses or any other religion or belief.

I do want to read the bible more and learn about it, so I wouldn't mind studying it with someone who is knowledgable about it.

My only reservation is what are her expectations. I've told her I don't want to leave my religion and be a JW. She said that's fine.

Now before anyone thinks I am being prejudice, please know that I have never met a JW or talked to one (to my knowledge). I always knew them as the people that come to the door.

So my real question is, does she really understand that I only want to study the bible but that I will not be converting?

I still haven't said yes b/c I dont' want to get into an awkward situation.

Any advice?
JW Bibles are intentially mis-translated by the Tower. These corrupt bibles are inherently errant not inerrant. Even if 90% of their bible is correct, you don't know which verses are among the 10% that is inaccurate. So you can't trust any of it.

Run, don't walk!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,869,590 times
[quote=Katzpur;27800917] However, I would say that there are very few Christians (whether they be Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Mormon, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh-day Adventist, etc.) who would want to "study the Bible" with you with no expectation of influencing you to convert to their particular denomination of Christianity. That doesn't mean you have to do so. QUOTE]

Satan has so lied to people.

It's not about "converting" to a particular "church" or denomination. It's about revealing JESUS the Messiah in God's plan of redemption bringing people into a life transforming relationship with God through His Son as High Priest after the order of Melchizedek.

True Christianity puts an individual in LOVE bondage to God and the children of God. Not a particular denomination, church membership, etc.

Those that are born again by the Spirit of God into the body of Christ are part of His Church.

The motive for witnessing should be love for your God/Christ and your fellow man desiring they have what you've been freely given in salvation.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:25 PM

21,267 posts, read 20,872,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Satan has so lied to people.

It's not about "converting" to a particular "church" or denomination. It's about revealing JESUS the Messiah in God's plan of redemption bringing people into a life transforming relationship with God through His Son as High Priest after the order of Melchizedek.

True Christianity puts an individual in LOVE bondage to God and the children of God. Not a particular denomination, church membership, etc.

Those that are born again by the Spirit of God into the body of Christ are part of His Church.

The motive for witnessing should be love for your God/Christ and your fellow man desiring they have what you've been freely given in salvation.
You know, it sounds a lot like you're saying that a person should be very suspicious of anyone who adheres to any specific Christian denomination, but that non-denominational Christians can be trusted to have pure motives. Sounds like just another denomination to me.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 PM

862 posts, read 642,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, it sounds a lot like you're saying that a person should be very suspicious of anyone who adheres to any specific Christian denomination, but that non-denominational Christians can be trusted to have pure motives. Sounds like just another denomination to me.
Katz, you are absolutely correct. A non-denominational church is the denomination of that pastor. Aka, a one church denomination. The pastor HAS a set of beliefs and he teaches that to his congregation. Just because those set of beliefs aren't written in a document, they still exist. Worse, because it has no structure, those beliefs will evolve over time. So what is his congregation to believe? I guess they have to evolve with him or her.

As a positive, non-denominational churches are often a foothold for weak Christians to get in or get back in. But they eventually figure out there's something missing and it's kind of shallow so they eventually move on to a denomination with a little more meat.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 PM

690 posts, read 395,247 times

I am a witness of Jehovah, and Iím coming with fact, not with anything else. Many of my spiritual siblings at times can seem pushy, but they donít mean it in the way itís taking. We ALL came from different religions. And it took many of us years before we even accepted the truth. We want to save our life, as well as save others. But we canít make anyone do something they donít want to, Jehovah God doesnít neither does Jesus. Satan is the ONLY one who tries hard to make people come his way. He does this with lies and trickery ,(Ephe. 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles, (tricks) of the devil). You said she was a nice and friendly, So why didnít you just ask her? which Iím sure you would have gotten an honest answer. Many can give their opinions of what her intentions are, without even knowing her, Just because of who she is.

I talk to many, and for years, I understand many donít want to be push, and I donít push. But just as I wouldnít want Jehovah and Jesus to give up on me, We canít give up on others. We are just hopeful that those whoís truly seeking, will see weíre NOT about us. Because we are imperfect people whoís trying to gain life, but about Jehovah God and Jesus. I like teaching people things that Iíve learn, which many ministers will NOT teach. Just like in Jesus day, (Matt. 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in), so is it in our time). Jehovah Godís words ,especially once we learn the truth, is to "get out of her", and he wasnít referring to a human, (Isa. 52:11 Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD).

And (Rev. 18:2-11, verse 4, And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues). ALL false teaching/religions will be destroyed. Many would say this ISNíT referring to religion, wrong!, it does ,([SIZE=3]Rev. 18:22,23 And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft he be, shall be found any more in thee; and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee; And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived).[/SIZE]

Sad, many donít realize, even though they claim to know ďgodsĒ words. They donít realize, there was ALWAYS from the beginning of time, one TRUE teaching. Up to Jesus time, Jesus was the ONLYÖ one teaching the truth, Though there were MANY religions. Those ministers in Jesus times didnít want to believe he was the son of God ,(Jehovah Exo.6:3), John 8:13,14 The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true. Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go). Jesus taught others the truth ,(Matt.chapters,5-7). He taught his Apostles to teach the truth, to all the world. after the world has heard the truth, the end will come ,(Matt. 28:19,20 and Matt. 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come).

Jesus taught the Apostles the truth, when he died, they began to teach others the truth. Those the Apostles taught went around teachings others also. We can see this ,when Paul, then Saul, who truly believe his teachings were right, and Jesus was wrong. Went around having them arrested, to the point that many fled and continue preaching ,(Acts 8:3,4 As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison. Therefore they that were scattered abroad went everywhere preaching the word). And (Acts26:9-11). He even had Stephen killed ,(Acts 7:58-60). Paul such a zeal for his false religion, (Rom. 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge). Jesus had plans to make him LEARN the truth, and become his TRUE servant, (Acts 9:1-21).

Paul later witness to his EX-spiritual brothers, the truth, concerning Jesus teachings. They NOW wanted HIM dead , but of course the same groups he once arrested,(Jesus followers), had to save him.([SIZE=3]Acts [/SIZE]9:17-25). My point, again, those whoís truly seeking, will find the truth. If we want to follow Jesus and not the world ,(John 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world). so she does understnad where you're coming from. peace

Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,108,802 times
I've had many a discussion with JW. It's usually a few meetings, then when they see that you aren't interested in joining their group, they don't return anymore. Sad.

Yet this is what institutional religion does.

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 AM

149 posts, read 276,685 times
Wink Other Ways

There are many other ways to study the Bible.Set in on some of the Church Channels there are so many to choose from and just get your Bible out and relax and follow.
I been through what you are about to step into.More likely than not you will regret this if you follow through.
Most of the J.W.are very high pressure,once you get into the study it will become worse.The women will most likely introduce you at some point to more J.W. and before you know it you will feel you are being forced into this belief.
Noone should be or feel forced into their relationship with God.If you seek him and belive in him things will fall into place for you anyways on your own.
I have known quite a few J.W.and they seem happy on the outside but are truely unhappy people.Once your in they say it is very hard to get out of without relly messing with your emotions and life in general.
I can feel you are a Godley person already keep reading your own Bible and you will find your own peaceful way to come to know Gods love and plans for you in life.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 AM

383 posts, read 425,141 times
The dubbers as we ex witnesses call them are very dangerous. They use the new world translation bible. Its their own translation they will not even tell who translated it. They lie and say it is so no one man or group gets credit, but the real reason is that one of the main translators Fred Franz or Freedy brown shoes as the cult members used to call him because he would walk around Brooklyn and talk to his old brown shoes, is not a educated in the languages. He was a hack that interpreted the bible passages such as in John where it says in the beginning the word was with god and the word was god by inserting an A, in the beginning the word was with god and the word was A god. This helps them to keep Jesus separate from god which is a main tenant of the cult.

If you really want to know how carzy this cult is, here are some facts most all dubbers know nothing about.
Jehovah' Witnesses crazy rules - YouTube

"Can The Ethiopian Change His skin color? No. But.. what the Ethiopian cannot do for himself God could readily do for him. The difference between the races of men .. have long been arguments against the solidarity of the human family. The doctrine of restitution has also raised the question. How could all men be brought to perfection and which color of skin was the original? The answer is now provided. God can change the Ethiopian's skin in his own due time.. Julius Jackson, of New Frankfort, Montana, a negro boy of nine years, began to grow white in September, 1901, and is now fully nine-tenths white. He assures us that this is no whitish skin disease; but that the new white skin is as healthy as that of any white boy, and that the changed boy has never been sick and never has taken medicines.." {Zions Watchtower Feb 15 1904 pg 52-3}2. "When Uranus and Jupiter meet in the humane sign of Aquarius in 1914, the long-promised era will have made a fair start in the work of setting man free to work out his own salvation, and will insure the ultimate realization of dreams and ideals of all poets and sages in history." {Watchtower May 1 1903 pg 130-1}

"Vaccination never prevented anything and never will, and is the most barbarous practice .. Use your rights as American citizens [i.e. participate politically!!] to forever abolish the devilish practice of vaccination." {GA Oct 12 1921 pg 17}
4. "But the dog-rabies-vaccine imposition is the latest.. Rabies! When it has been shown conclusively that there is no such thing as rabies [hydrophobia]!.. a mental hoax .. Vaccination, summed up, is the most unhygienic, barbaric, filthy, abhorrent, and most dangerous system of infection known. Its vile poison taints, corrupts, and pollutes the blood of the healthy, resulting in ulcers, syphilis, scrofula, erysipelas, tuberculosis, cancer, tetanus, insanity, and death" {GA Jan 1 1923 pg 214)
5. "Some one asked me the other day: Suppose you should be here in 1925 what would you do? I said, I believe I will be home in the Pleiades before then .." {Watchtower Nov 1 1920 pg 334}
6. "Many have wondered how accidents would be avoided during Christ's kingdom, since we are told that nothing shall then hurt or destroy. Most accidents are due to gravitation and its effects. Falling from airplanes.. may be avoided by an individual negative gravity device. Scientists tell us that there is enough atomic energy in a finger-nail to propel a battleship. The people of the future may carry a little of this energy around with them, and if they fall down an elevator shaft they can let themselves down easy. Then they can turn a little more on and go back up.. No danger of falling down stairs then." {GA Mar 24 1926 pg 404}
7. "The constellation of the Pleiades is a small one compared with others which
scientific instruments disclose to the wondering eyes of man. But the greatness in size of other stars or planets is small when compared with the Pleiades in importance, because the Pleiades is the place of the eternal throne of God." {Reconciliation pg 14}

8. "Quite likely there is some connection between the violation of human blood [vaccines] and the spread of demonism.. sexual immorality .. Vaccination has never saved a human life. It does not prevent smallpox." {GA Feb 4 1931 pg 293-4}
9. "The Journal of the A.M.A. is the vilest sheet that passes the United States mail.. Nothing new and useful in therapeutics escapes its unqualified condemnation. Its attacks are generally ad hominem. Its editorial columns are largely devoted to character assassination.. Its editor [a Jew] is of the type of Jew that crucified Jesus Christ." {GA Sep 26 1934 pg 807}
10. "It is significant that heart-transplant patients, where the nerves connecting the heart and brain are severed, have serious emotional problems after the operation.. the new heart in turn registers few, if any, clear factors of motivation on the brain. To what extent the nerve endings of the body and the new heart are able to make some connections in time is not clear, but this cannot be ruled out as one of the several factors causing the serious mental aberrations and disorientation that doctors report are observed in heart-transplant patients. These patients have donor-supplied pumps for their blood, but do they now have all the factors needed to say they have a 'heart'? One thing is sure, in losing their own hearts, they have had taken away from them the capacities of 'heart' built up in them over the years and which contributed to making them who they were as to personality." {Watchtower Mar 1 1971 133-9}
And last but not least, here's the best/most shocking:

11. "As regards the alleged involvement of children, the [WatchTower Bible and tract Society] submits that children cannot become members of the association but only participate, together with their parents, in the religious activities of the community. In respect of the refusal of blood transfusion, the applicant association submits that there are no religious sanctions for a Jehovah's Witness who chooses to accept blood transfusion and that, therefore, the fact that the religious doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses is against blood transfusion cannot amount to a threat to public health." {Sworn testimony submitted by the Society in evidence before the European Human Rights Commission Jul 3 1997}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity