Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 04:25 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

How do you interpret this verse from Acts 10:13?

"Kill and eat!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 04:54 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How do you interpret this verse from Acts 10:13?

"Kill and eat!"
You MUST read the chapter in context to get the correct meaning of the vision.

Acts 10:14 shows that Peter was still keeping the dietary laws years after Jesus death, so its clear they werent abolished.
Acts 10:17 shows Peter didnt know what the vision he had meant
Acts 10:24 shows Peter going to Cornelius house
Acts 10:28 shows the meaning of the vision being to not consider or call gentiles unclean

Peter’s Vision

9 The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. 10 Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.”
14 But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.”
15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.
Summoned to Caesarea

17 Now while Peter wondered within himself what this vision which he had seen meant, behold, the men who had been sent from Cornelius had made inquiry for Simon’s house, and stood before the gate. 18 And they called and asked whether Simon, whose surname was Peter, was lodging there.
19 While Peter thought about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Behold, three men are seeking you. 20 Arise therefore, go down and go with them, doubting nothing; for I have sent them.”
21 Then Peter went down to the men who had been sent to him from Cornelius,[b] and said, “Yes, I am he whom you seek. For what reason have you come?”
22 And they said, “Cornelius the centurion, a just man, one who fears God and has a good reputation among all the nation of the Jews, was divinely instructed by a holy angel to summon you to his house, and to hear words from you.” 23 Then he invited them in and lodged them.
On the next day Peter went away with them, and some brethren from Joppa accompanied him.
Peter Meets Cornelius

24 And the following day they entered Caesarea. Now Cornelius was waiting for them, and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25 As Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. 26 But Peter lifted him up, saying, “Stand up; I myself am also a man.” 27 And as he talked with him, he went in and found many who had come together. 28 Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean. 29 Therefore I came without objection as soon as I was sent for. I ask, then, for what reason have you sent for me?”
30 So Cornelius said, “Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour[c] I prayed in my house, and behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing, 31 and said, ‘Cornelius, your prayer has been heard, and your alms are remembered in the sight of God. 32 Send therefore to Joppa and call Simon here, whose surname is Peter. He is lodging in the house of Simon, a tanner, by the sea.[d] When he comes, he will speak to you.’ 33 So I sent to you immediately, and you have done well to come. Now therefore, we are all present before God, to hear all the things commanded you by God.”

Old 05-20-2016, 08:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
I know the context. But what do the words mean in that context?

Old 05-20-2016, 10:23 PM

45,577 posts, read 27,172,269 times
It's an illustration with the point that God was about move to (by design) bring non-Jews into the family of God - which was totally new at the time.

Kill and eat means kill and eat. Peter did not want to kill and eat because he was a Jew and the animals mentioned were unclean animals with regards to the Jews. God used that to get him to look beyond his Jewishness... because he was about to go a non-Jew residence and preach the gospel.

From Moses to Acts 2, God and Jesus pretty much had an exclusive relationship with the Jews. The Jews took pride in that. God was about to move outside the Jews. Peter had to accept that.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:39 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Means the Peter believed that people who were not Jewish could not be saved to God , then God gave Peter a vision which represents a unclean animals is equal to unclean gentile people were God tells Peter to eat unclean animals , which means accept unclean people , the gentiles can be saved to God through Jesus ......... See Holy Spirit would have quickened an interpretation of the acceptance of the gentiles to be saved , which Peter later proclaims

Old 05-21-2016, 04:17 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
In the same vision, God told Peter to call nothing unclean that he'd created....... I guess that's not in the fundamentalist bible, because everything they are against is unclean to them and boy don't they make sure we know it. Just take a butchers at every other title of the threads on this forum to see what and who they are calling unclean.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:28 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I know the context. But what do the words mean in that context?
Metaphor?...

Old 05-21-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's an illustration with the point that God was about move to (by design) bring non-Jews into the family of God - which was totally new at the time.

Kill and eat means kill and eat. Peter did not want to kill and eat because he was a Jew and the animals mentioned were unclean animals with regards to the Jews. God used that to get him to look beyond his Jewishness... because he was about to go a non-Jew residence and preach the gospel.

From Moses to Acts 2, God and Jesus pretty much had an exclusive relationship with the Jews. The Jews took pride in that. God was about to move outside the Jews. Peter had to accept that.
So how did Christianity come to think that it is the Jews that need to be brought into their fold when G-d specifically stated that His new covenant would be with the houses of Judah and Israel period?...

Old 05-21-2016, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Means the Peter believed that people who were not Jewish could not be saved to God , then God gave Peter a vision which represents a unclean animals is equal to unclean gentile people were God tells Peter to eat unclean animals , which means accept unclean people , the gentiles can be saved to God through Jesus ......... See Holy Spirit would have quickened an interpretation of the acceptance of the gentiles to be saved , which Peter later proclaims
However it says that salvation is of the Jews....

Old 05-21-2016, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
In the same vision, God told Peter to call nothing unclean that he'd created....... I guess that's not in the fundamentalist bible, because everything they are against is unclean to them and boy don't they make sure we know it. Just take a butchers at every other title of the threads on this forum to see what and who they are calling unclean.
No...G-d did not say that, He said do not call anything unclean that I have called clean...

By Frank L. Hoffman
For hundreds of years Christians have interpreted Peter's vision as God's permission to kill and eat any animal, which it is not. It is a vision to let Peter know that he and other Jewish-Christians were permitted to enter the homes of the Gentiles to bring them the Good News of Jesus Christ.

15 and there is a voice again a second time unto him: `What God did cleanse, thou, declare not thou common;'

See what happens when you change a word?...It gives a different meaning to it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity