Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:25 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,314,948 times

Advertisements

Trust me , I have every idea.

JWs are expected to do what they are told by their Governing Body. No where in scripture is there a command to obey several men who have labeled themselves as chosen as God's channel. No where.

Their sanctions on blood transfusions is given at the dictates and whims of their leaders. If it is ok to use blood fractions now, then it was ok in the past. Because God (according to the bible) doesn't change. So thousands have died b/c of this arbitrary and false dictate of the JWs Governing Body.

If someone wants to have a discussion with members who are active JWs and those who have left, you can research using www.jwfacts.com and www.jehovahs-witness.net (there are others of course).

My family on both sides goes back 4 generations following the ever-changing JW belief train. I have a relative who died for following their NO BLOOD TRANSFUSION policy and many more willing to do the same! My sources are just fine.

I am not a religious person, therefore, I don't have a pastor.

Last edited by winterbird; 08-25-2014 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: clarifying my personal experience/resources with Jehovah's Witnesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 06:04 PM

JWs bought up half of Brooklyn Heights at a time when no one was buying in Brooklyn Heights. And they kept buying and buying and buying. Now they are unloading everything in Brooklyn at major profit and they are currently buying in upper state New York. How does this fit into God's work?

Jesus said he had nowhere to lay his head, yet Watchtower has owned some of the most coveted real estate in America. All the while, condemning the Catholic church for its real estate holdings.

They own massive amounts of property in Patterson and Wallkill. Now, why the need for Warwick? Why the hell are they buying in Florida, California and unloading all of their oversees real estate? Why does Watchtower hold the note on all of the Kingdom Hall buildings (their version of churches)? And why does Watchtower charge their congregations the going interest rates on these notes and renovations?

Watchtower is all about real estate, publishing and planned giving (they actively target their elderly members to turn over their assets to Watchtower after their death, instead of to their own children).

Now you check your resources.

If you need help, let me know.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:21 PM

Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to view material that is not sanctioned by their leaders. They are not allowed to speak with or read information that criticizes their beliefs, actions or members. They also are not allowed to accept literature that is disseminated from other churches.

They are allowed to look at Vines, Josephus and other concordance-type material that confirms their own beliefs. But ask them, "Are you allowed to read The Plain Truth magazine?, Are you discouraged from reading The Catholic Digest magazine?" Ask your brother what will happen if he reads, Our Daily Bread? Will he be considered a weak christian? There is a ministry resource magazine dedicated to helping Christian readers across the globe, The Baptist Voice. Ask any Jehovah's Witness you come across whether they can seek understanding from this piece of religious literature.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:23 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post

JWs are expected to do what they are told by their Governing Body. No where in scripture is there a command to obey several men who have labeled themselves as chosen as God's channel. No where.

Their sanctions on blood transfusions is given at the dictates and whims of their leaders. If it is ok to use blood fractions now, then it was ok in the past. Because God (according to the bible) doesn't change. So thousands have died b/c of this arbitrary and false dictate of the JWs Governing Body.

If someone wants to have a discussion with members who are active JWs and those who have left, you can research using www.jwfacts.com and www.jehovahs-witness.net (there are others of course).

I have family members who are JWs and I have a relative who died for following their NO BLOOD TRANSFUSION policy! My sources are just fine.

I am not a religious person, therefore, I don't have a pastor.

They teach correctly about blood--Gods word says abstain from blood--it says 0 about the eating of it in the nt--there was no cause for alarm in the ot for transfusions.

Hebrews 13:17---be submissive to teachers.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:30 PM

Dude, they have changed their view on blood transfusions! Did you know that?! It's couched in jumbled language. JWs cannot take whole blood but they are allowed to take in blood components or fractions.

Here's a great resource,

The Watchtower 2004 Jun 15 pp.19-23 contains a detailed discussion on blood, and includes a chart to shows graphically that transfusions of whole blood and 'major' components are forbidden. 'Major' components are shown to be red cells, white cells, plasma and platelets. However, fractions of these four components may be used.
In other words, when blood is broken down into small enough components 100% of it can be transfused by a Jehovah's Witness.

"Hebrews 13:17---be submissive to teachers."

^^ What are you talking about? ^^

Old 08-25-2014, 06:56 PM

On the matter of pagan celebrations. Take some time to research all of the customs that are followed today that have pagan origin. There is no need for me to cite sources for information that is so easy to find.

So, since two persons were beheaded at birthday celebrations that means birthdays are bad??? What about siestas? The one time siesta is mentioned in the bible, it results in a beheading. Yet the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses has no issue with its members taking their daily siesta, do they? No they do not! I wonder why? Makeup is mentioned in the bible under unfavorable circumstances as well. Yet JW women are not forbidden to wear makeup. Why???

Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 PM

That's so sad if your family cut you guys off for becoming Jehovah's Witnesses. I can't speak for them as to why they did that. Have you ever asked them for their side of the story? The extremely damaging psychological effects from shunning are well documented. It's a hateful practice.

At the moment, I can only recall that annually, there are appx 40,000 who are disfellowshipped from the JW religion for "sinful" behavior. This stat appears quite frequently in their literature:

*** w94 4/1 p. 16 par. 8 Are You Resisting the Spirit of the World? ***Yet, each year about 40,000 individuals are disfellowshipped from Jehovah’s organization.
*** w89 4/1 p. 13 par. 12 Hear What the Spirit Says to the Congregations ***Has Satan tried to introduce a Balaam or a Jezebel influence into the Christian congregation today? He certainly has, to the extent that almost 40,000 a year are disfellowshipped, most because of immorality.
*** w89 12/1 p. 17 par. 10 Do You Seek Hidden Treasures? ***Yet, with over 41,000 disfellowshipped last year, it is clear that many brothers and sisters have neglected their spirituality.
*** w87 7/15 p. 15 par. 4 Prayers Require Works ***Of the more than 3,000,000 publishers of the good news last year, upwards of 37,000 were disfellowshipped for conduct unbecoming a Christian. That amounts to a ratio of about one in 80.

fyi "w" is for The Watchtower magazine

Where did you get your stats of 80%, 1 year and 5 year, regarding the disfellowshipping/reinstatement rates? TIA for the source of these stats.

Last edited by winterbird; 08-25-2014 at 07:13 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird Trust me , I have every idea.

[If someone wants to have a discussion with members who are active JWs and those who have left, you can research using www.jwfacts.com and www.jehovahs-witness.net (there are others of course).

No I don't trust you. I trust what the Bible teaches. I don't understand why people leave their church or religion and just can't get on with their lives. Diatribes serve no purpose other than to incite hate and bigotry. I've left the religion of my birth and youth because I feel I have found something more fulfilling...for me. Yet, I don't dwell on the teachings that I once embraced but now believe were untrue nor am I filled with hate or anger. Do I want to share what I've learned with others? certainly. But if people aren't interested well then go in peace. I suggest malcontents do the same with their lives and find something positive to latch onto and heal and maybe even make their corner of their world a bit better by their words and actions.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post

NIV Hebrews 13:17 Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.

This obedience is limited to what is in scripture and does not impact every aspect of life.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:18 PM

hd4me.

I wasn't addressing you. So use your Bible powers to ignore me.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity