Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Which JW did that?
None
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 06:55 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Correct, and Jehovah's Witnesses are very open to a friendly discussion of differences.
I have had open discussions with a JW, and the person would always refer to their publications instead of just reading either their bible or mine as reference. So go figure?

Old 08-24-2014, 06:56 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
i'm a servant of Jehovah ,(AKA Jws), that's so untrue, i'm sorry you believe this. We don't use any book ,magazine or publication to “steer”,people away from anything. We use these things to show them the truth. It's up to them if they believe it or not. You said basically we say their teachings are not true. That's a lie, we PROVE, that MOST of their teachings is false. We constantly tell people some of their teachings ARE TRUE, just not ALL.

It's sad to believe ALL religion leads to life, when Jesus CLEARLY showed the ministers of his day were teaching falsely ,(Matt. 15:1-6 ,John 8:44), and (Matt.23:13,14).but Let me enlighten you on some facts, Comparing to the Christendoms “truth”. They ALL goes to Heaven, that NOT what the bible teaches. I says a certain amount “redeemed”, from earth ,(Rev. 14:1-4).

it also shows the REST, will live on a rewed earth ,(Psa. 37:9,10). the earth WON'T be destroyed as MANY are taught ,(Eccle. 1:4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever). Animals won't be in Heaven. Yet, they will be with the righteous, ON EARTH, (Isa.11:6-9).

Jesus has a Father, and he ISN'T part of 3 in one! ,(trinity),he ISN'T the Almighty God ,(John 17:3, John 3:16). he DIDN'T send himself ,as MANY religions teaches, (John 5:30 -I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me). Jesus told us to do his “FATHER'S WILL”, just as he does.

Also ,(Psa. 110:1 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool), there's a reason for the TWO lords! And (Mark 13:32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father). Jesus spoke of man, Angels himself, and his Father. If there were a third high being, why wasn't “he” mentioned?

We show ANY who truly follows Jesus DOESN'T follow the world, (John 17:16,James 4:4). We DON'T!... pray to Jesus as MANY religion teaches. This is what Jesus said ,(Matt. 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name). And (John 14:6).

satan has MANY ministers that appear to be men sent by Jesus or “God” ,(2Cor. 11:13-15). Many seem to act as though when it comes to teaching wrong, we're the ones. YET!... Jehovah shows that the “harlot” who sit on “MANY WATERS” ,(obviously relates to MANY false religions), teaches wrong ,(Rev.17:1-6). also known as Babylon ,(Rev.18:2-11,18-24).

MANY religion will cause mankind to lose their life ,(Mal. 2:8,9). because MANY refuse to hear the truth. They didn't with Jesus, and they surely won't with us. So regardless if MANY believe we're teaching wrong, Scriptures proves otherwise. but now, here's the reality of it all. ANY who do research will see Jws, are ALL over the world. Jehovah will have his words out there, and MANY... will come to know the truth. the watchtower is # one read throughout the earth, the awake is 2nd! Jws, has NOTHING to do with it, it's his doing! so We really need to watch what we're saying, it could come back to bite us if we live to see the end ,(Matt.12:36,37). peace and love
Again, all you are doing is cutting and pasting Watchtower doctrines.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,958,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I have had open discussions with a JW, and the person would always refer to their publications instead of just reading either their bible or mine as reference. So go figure?
I know one Witness woman who usually gets enthusiastic about something she is reading in the Watchtower or Awake! magazines to the point that she can't wait to share that point with another and tell what caught her eye in a magazine article.
That is not saying she doesn't respect God's Word [ Holy Bible ], but wants the person to later read the literature along with their Bible.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Then you have only had minimal contact. The "publications" only serve to draw together scripture and related information on a subject. They are still focused on Scripture as the Bible is not a text book as to the way it is compiled. Every Jehovah's Witness I know uses the Bible more than any other publication.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I know one Witness woman who usually gets enthusiastic about something she is reading in the Watchtower or Awake! magazines to the point that she can't wait to share that point with another and tell what caught her eye in a magazine article.
That is not saying she doesn't respect God's Word [ Holy Bible ], but wants the person to later read the literature along with their Bible.
Yes, as I have had it explained the magazines cover a subject and draw together the scriptures that apply. They do not replace the Bible, they are just study aids. The Bible is written more as a history, so the JW magazines simply gather scriptures together, saving time in finding verses that apply. Many churches do such.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:46 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,731,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Then you have only had minimal contact. The "publications" only serve to draw together scripture and related information on a subject. They are still focused on Scripture as the Bible is not a text book as to the way it is compiled. Every Jehovah's Witness I know uses the Bible more than any other publication.
This actually does seem to be typical of your less experienced proselyting JW's. It really depends on the Jehovah's Witness really. Some that I've talked to handle very complex and difficult questions with ease. Others have to look it up when challenged even slightly.

I remember one fellow we bumped into while doing some proselyting of our own. He actually blundered into the same thing as so many others do: 2 Timothy 3:16 "16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God[a] may be complete, equipped for every good work."

I think JW's aren't used to running into people who dispute the validity of a closed canon. He was using that scripture (abusing really) as proof that the scriptural canon was closed. That passage doesn't say anything even close to what he seemed to want it to say. I asked him what he thought this scripture was saying and he didn't really have a coherent response. Obviously, just a very inexperienced JW and that is all.

For some reason, that's always where any conversation I have with JW's get's stuck. I've taken their books and literature and I find it all very interesting. They're really no different than any other closed-canon Bible-first religion that I can see. They just happen to depart from non-Biblical Christian tradition a lot, and I have absolutely no issue with that.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
This actually does seem to be typical of your less experienced proselyting JW's. It really depends on the Jehovah's Witness really. Some that I've talked to handle very complex and difficult questions with ease. Others have to look it up when challenged even slightly.

I remember one fellow we bumped into while doing some proselyting of our own. He actually blundered into the same thing as so many others do: 2 Timothy 3:16 "16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God[a] may be complete, equipped for every good work."

I think JW's aren't used to running into people who dispute the validity of a closed canon. He was using that scripture (abusing really) as proof that the scriptural canon was closed. That passage doesn't say anything even close to what he seemed to want it to say. I asked him what he thought this scripture was saying and he didn't really have a coherent response. Obviously, just a very inexperienced JW and that is all.

For some reason, that's always where any conversation I have with JW's get's stuck. I've taken their books and literature and I find it all very interesting. They're really no different than any other closed-canon Bible-first religion that I can see. They just happen to depart from non-Biblical Christian tradition a lot, and I have absolutely no issue with that.
If I have the figures correct they have about 250,000 new active members every year join. Such new ones will have to learn deeper subjects and that is to be expected of any group. That means this year 250,000 plus at least another 250,000 from last year who would still be "babes" and it is not surprising that many need help with deeper questions.

The biggest difference is that at least they try to obey Matt 28:19,20 while others ignore it or claim the occasional tract they leave is enough, or a can of soup given away, etc. Probably 99% of must church members are Biblically illiterate and maybe 1% of JW's by comparison. Most JW's I know can find virtually any book in the Bible to read a verse. Most Church goers can't find Genesis.

It is actually worse. A friend who was talking to his Pastor (BIG Church) asked about when man was told it was OK to eat meat. The pastor said he wasn't familiar with the scripture as he hadn't read that far yet.

It is in ..... Genesis chapter 9.

He hadn't read that far???

Imagine how his flock is taught.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:01 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,316,671 times
This is the thing with Jehovah's Witnesses. They can explain their core beliefs somewhat easily and without their literature. But the following are just a few things they cannot explain without quoting or loosely paraphrasing from their books:

Why are their leaders (they will say their leader is Jesus Christ), between 8-12 men in NYC at any given time, in charge?
Who granted them the position? Must you obey everything they say? If so, why?

Why is it that for decades, they were disfellowshipped (excommunicated) if they took a blood transfusion to save a life? Yet now, they are allowed to take blood fractions? Who decided this? Where is it in scripture?

Why has Watchtower always invested heavily in real estate (to the tune of billions) while its flock has been instructed not to invest in "this wicked world"?

Why must a person lose all of their JW friends and family relationships, if they change their beliefs about the accuracy of Watchtower doctrine?

If JWs aren't allowed to celebrate holidays (which they believe to be pagan), why are they allowed to participate in other pagan rituals (i.e. wearing a bridal gown in white and a veil, playing a game of pinata, wearing a wedding ring, pronouncing the days of the week and names of calendar months, etc.)?

Ask a JW, if he/she is allowed to read religious material other than JW literature? Are they allowed to read non JW sources that explain their religion's origins, beliefs, leaders and finances? The answer is no! But ask them why not?

Then too, it cannot be ignored that they mirror Scientologists, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists, in that when one chooses to leave the group, they are titled an apostate, and no one is allowed to speak to them...

This is just for starters.

Yes, JWs seem to be very nice people. However, their ultimate goal is to recruit members. But, if and when those members, including minors, form their own opinion of the bible, god or religion, they are severly ostracized.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
This is the thing with Jehovah's Witnesses. They can explain their core beliefs somewhat easily and without their literature. But the following are just a few things they cannot explain without quoting or loosely paraphrasing from their books:

Why are their leaders (they will say their leader is Jesus Christ), between 8-12 men in NYC at any given time, in charge?
Who granted them the position? Must you obey everything they say? If so, why?
Let me try to help as my brother is a Jehovah's Witness.

Why is it that for decades, they were disfellowshipped (excommunicated) if they took a blood transfusion to save a life? Yet now, they are allowed to take blood fractions? Who decided this? Where is it in scripture?

Acts 15 prohibits both eating or using blood in anyway.

KJV Acts 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Strangled meat was the prohibition under the law to not eat it. "from blood" being separate from that covers every other use. Scripture, which they obey.

Why fractions? Because a bled animal will still have some blood in it, but it was OK to eat, thus small amounts were OK. Fractions did not exist then but a JW "may" take them if they feel the fit the small amount of blood NOT covered by the law. God showing He understands it is the life's blood that is the issue, not very small amounts.

Why has Watchtower always invested heavily in real estate (to the tune of billions) while its flock has been instructed not to invest in "this wicked world"?

Not investments as they simply bought what they needed at the time. Now after 100 years it is valuable, but that happens to all real estate. Not an investment for money, rather for God's work. OK, they have been blessed and remember NO ONE at their headquarters gets any of the money. The Governing Body, according to the last I heard, gets $125,00 per month and room and board. How much does your pastor get?

Why must a person lose all of their JW friends and family relationships, if they change their beliefs about the accuracy of Watchtower doctrine?

They don't. They lose the spiritual relationship at the Bibles direction. Plus the Bible says not to even eat with such, so unless they are minors who are still loved and cared for, they must obey scripture.

What is worse is the abandonment of thsoe who become JW's by their so-called Christian family members. My Father was Catholic and my mother Presbyterian. She became a JW and EVERY member of my father's family cut us off. My mothers family, which by then had Methodist, 7th Day, Baha'i and more virtually cut us off and ... my brother and I were children. My mother tried to keep in touch with them. Only my 7th Day uncle was fairly close. This is quite common and far more so than a person being disfellowshipped by a congregation. Plus over 80% quit willingly sinning and return to being a JW within 1 year and the balance except for a very small percent within 5 years.

Why do "good church" members hate their family who become JW's so much???

If JWs aren't allowed to celebrate holidays (which they believe to be pagan), why are they allowed to participate in other pagan rituals (i.e. wearing a bridal gown in white and a veil, playing a game of pinata, wearing a wedding ring, pronouncing the days of the week and names of calendar months, etc.)?

Those activities are not a part of pagan worship, qworship of man or worship of the nations controlled by Satan (All Nations) or when mentioned in the Bible, like Birthdays, always celebrated by pagans and someone always died (remember John the Baptist).

Ask a JW, if he/she is allowed to read religious material other than JW literature? Are they allowed to read non JW sources that explain their religion's origins, beliefs, leaders and finances? The answer is no! But ask them why not?

Yes they are and in fact it is quite common to see such quotes in their literature. The only thing the avoid, based on scripture, is that written by apostates.

Then too, it cannot be ignored that they mirror Scientologists, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists, in that when one chooses to leave the group, they are titled an apostate, and no one is allowed to speak to them...

Not really as leaving the group is not apostasy. It is leaving and actively and publicly taking a stand against it. My brother left for a while and no disfellowshipping, etc. They are just viewed as inactive members.

Here are two thinbgs I found in their literature.

WT 2008 Study Articles 1, 2 PAGES 8-16

Learn how elders and others can help fellow believers who have strayed from the flock of God. These articles explain what you might do to assist inactive Christians. Note, too, how those who return can expect to be received.

*** w08 11/15 p. 9 par. 5 Help Those Who Stray From the Flock ***
5 Shepherds of God’s flock have the duty to search for sheep who have strayed and then to try to help them. The apostle Paul reminded Christian elders from ancient Ephesus of their shepherding responsibilities when he said: “Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed you overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own Son.” (Acts 20:28) Similarly, the apostle Peter gave anointed older men this exhortation: “Shepherd the flock of God in your care, not under compulsion, but willingly; neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly; neither as lording it over those who are God’s inheritance, but becoming examples to the flock.”—1 Pet. 5:1-3.

Notice ni cutting off at all.

This is just for starters.

You need better sources.

Quote:
Yes, JWs seem to be very nice people. However, their ultimate goal is to recruit members. But, if and when those members, including minors, form their own opinion of the bible, god or religion, they are severly ostracized.
You have no idea at all, so try to find better sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity