U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 AM
 
3,267 posts, read 5,270,078 times
Reputation: 1479

Advertisements

A person started a thread about studying with a JW, and she wanted some advice on studying with a JW co-worker. So I gave her my advice, and while giving her my advice I became lead to start a thread for anyone who is thinking about studying with a Jehovah's Witness.

If you have encountered a JW, their main motive is to recruit and invite non JW co-workers, friends, and family members to their weekly meetings and home based bible studies. The home based bible studies are typically held conveniently at the new recruits home. They typically will make frequent house visits bringing other recruits with them to study their publications with you. So, they make it quite easy for you not to have an excuse to study with them. I know this because my mother in law is a devout JW. I have seen them come to my house to have bible studies with my family.

JWs have a publication that they are using with new recruits. The name of the publication is called "What Does the Bible Really Teach? When being introduced to this book by a JW, who wouldn't want to study what the bible really teaches? To me, it's a clever title to spark one's interest.

Thus, it's an effective publication to get people, who really have no point of reference or any biblical knowledge to challenge them on certain doctrinal topics when they come up in this publication. The publication, in my opinion, is written to make you question traditional Christian beliefs against theirs, while also, cleverly indoctrinating you to believe their teachings as Scriptural.

I have read the publication, and being a serious bible student, the book is strictly written to slowly get you to believe that the traditional teachings of the church is demonically influenced and that any form of worship outside of what the JW organization teaches is not true worship. Again, this book is strictly designed to steer you away from believing orthodoxed church teachings to believing basically what their beliefs are.

Once you have bought in and completed studying "What Does the Bible Really Teach" publication, then they will introduce you to another publication that will even indoctrinate you more about their beliefs and why now you shouldn't be wanting to attend church anymore nor be around family and friends who are discouraging you from studying THE TRUTH. The name of the next book is called "Draw Closer to Jehovah." Also, you would hear your bible study teacher say this a lot about being in the truth, and how Jehovah has opened up his or her mind to this truth, and that your studying with him or her is a blessing from Jehovah because He wants to steer you to the truth as well.

In addition, after going through a series of their other publications, and once you have finished studying them, attending their weekly meetings, and perhaps even going out with your bible study teacher on field service (their door to door witnessing or passing out Watchtower Magazines), he or she may send an elder from their Kingdom Hall to talk to you about becoming baptized.

So your bible study teacher will be trying his or her best to let those publication lead you to conversion, no matter how many times you say to her that you don't want to leave your religion or church.

There is a good book for all serious bible students to read called "Systematic Theology" by Wayne Grudem. He covers every biblical topic, and explains how all of the doctrines were started by the different denominations, and he lets you use to bible to study to see where you stand on those biblical topics. He even lists all of the different denominations articles of faith and church covenants. Its a big thick book but worth the purchase if you just want to get a good overview on biblical topics by an author who isn't trying to convert you to be a Baptist, Mormon, JW, or Catholic. Again, he doesn't argue for or against any interpretation. He quotes all of the bible verses that have lead to one interpretation over another, and that forces you to study the topic, prayerfully, to see where you stand or don't stand on it. Also, Grudem shows the reader the different positions on biblical topics (born again, baptism of the Holy Spirit, the Lord's Supper) and how Christian religions adopted their interpretations.

What are your thoughts regarding studying with Jehovah's Witnesses? If you have studied with a JW or know any family members who have, have you had any similar experiences as I have described?

Last edited by antredd; 01-18-2013 at 12:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 AM
 
3,267 posts, read 5,270,078 times
Reputation: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
In their defense, they are sincere, and strongly believe that what they have is the truth. I don't agree with their theology, and thank God that He has lead me, to what I think, is the proper interpretation of Scripture. Because when it's all said and done, God can read hearts, and I am putting all of my hope and trust in what His Son did for me over what any religion can do for me if I am making sense.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-21-2014 at 04:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 AM
 
Location: US
27,954 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
to what I think, is the proper interpretation of Scripture.
Exactly...Hence, so many denominations in the world today...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:31 AM
 
Location: US
27,954 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Jesus is right DANG IT!!!!!!
Of course, Yeshua is Right...However, do we put words into His mouth?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 AM
 
3,267 posts, read 5,270,078 times
Reputation: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Of course, Yeshua is Right...However, do we put words into His mouth?...
I am really lol now, because man you know you can list all of the Strong's definitions that were defined by some man helping us understand those Greek and Hebrew word meanings. But it's all good, I still love you anyway, and it aint a dang thang you can do about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 AM
 
Location: US
27,954 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Jesus is right DANG IT!!!!!! It's not about the religion my man. I don't understand why people get caught up in what their religion is, as if, their religion has died for them. Religion is a practice for all of us to grow closer to God. How sad that the Devil has caused so much division and confusion that we gotta argue who's right or wrong. Dang it. Dang it, Dang it. JESUS IS THE ONLY ONE RIGHT IN THIS COURT!!!!!
Here is what James had to say about that:


Jas_1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their afflictions, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 AM
 
3,267 posts, read 5,270,078 times
Reputation: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Here is what James had to say about that:


Jas_1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their afflictions, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
Unspotted from the world is something we all hope that our skeletons of our past are never to be outed. But God has a way to steer us on the right path. Don't you think? The truth will prevail, even when we don't like it. But I know one thing and that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man can come to the Father but through Him. AMEN!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 AM
 
Location: US
27,954 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I am really lol now, because man you know you can list all of the Strong's definitions that were defined by some man helping us understand those Greek and Hebrew word meanings. But it's all good, I still love you anyway, and it aint a dang thang you can do about it.
I love you too...I have no grudges or hatred toward anyone...I seek Truth, not my Truth or anyone elses Truth, but, the Truth of HaShem...And if I read Scripture and develop questions with regards to what I was taught, then I am obliged to research it out and not sit in my little box saying, 'This is what I was taught, and this is what I believe'...My wife was raised a JW, this is what she was taught, this is what she believes...So, in your opinion, she should research out what she has been taught in order to ascertain its validity?...But, you are not obliged to do the same?...

Take the Oneness Pentecostals, they do not believe in the Trinity, however, they do believe that Yeshua is HaShem, that HaShem came down and inhabited the human form of Yeshua and walked among His people...And that the Spirit of HaShem is as the spirit of anyone, it is who He is...Are they correct in their assessment?...

Yeshua is called the Messiah, but, so were many in the Tanakh and The Prophets...If Yeshua is HaShem, then He is HaShem, but, if He was a man that grew up and learned to refuse the evil and choose the good, thereby, garnering HaShem's approval, was annointed with the Spirit of HaShem on the day of His baptism, thereby being begotten by HaShem as His Son, being the only One of His generation to walk a spotless walk, and if the evidence from the Scriptures shows thusly, are we not obliged to change our views of Yeshua?...Once one learns the Truth, one must change, one has no excuse to remain ignorant...Look in the Tanakh and the Prophets, did the Jews expect HaShem Himself to come down to them in bodily form or did they expect a Messiah from HaShem, who embodied everything that Adam was supposed to be but failed, For Adam was created in the image of HaShem, as was Yeshua, and Yeshua came to be the image of HaShem, one failed, one succeeded?...There are many ancient religions that depict a god coming in human form and walking among his creation, what makes ours so different?...Is it possible that after the flood that people held the Truth, but, as the seperation of the people and division of the earth occured, down through the generations of the various nations, the Truth became corrupted and varied?...There is the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Egyptian story of, I think, Horus, and many others that mirror almost exactly our own beliefs, could these all be corruptions of the Truths held by Noah and his immeadiate family?...And if corruptions of that magnitude could occur, then who is to say that corruptions of a similar magnitude did not occur within the Faith of the Gospel message that Yeshua brought?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 AM
 
Location: US
27,954 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Unspotted from the world is something we all hope that our skeletons of our past are never to be outed. But God has a way to steer us on the right path. Don't you think? The truth will prevail, even when we don't like it. But I know one thing and that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man can come to the Father but through Him. AMEN!!!!
Amen to that...Yeshua Himself said it and I believe it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 PM
 
3,267 posts, read 5,270,078 times
Reputation: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I love you too...I have no grudges or hatred toward anyone...I seek Truth, not my Truth or anyone elses Truth, but, the Truth of HaShem...And if I read Scripture and develop questions with regards to what I was taught, then I am obliged to research it out and not sit in my little box saying, 'This is what I was taught, and this is what I believe'...My wife was raised a JW, this is what she was taught, this is what she believes...So, in your opinion, she should research out what she has been taught in order to ascertain its validity?...But, you are not obliged to do the same?...

Take the Oneness Pentecostals, they do not believe in the Trinity, however, they do believe that Yeshua is HaShem, that HaShem came down and inhabited the human form of Yeshua and walked among His people...And that the Spirit of HaShem is as the spirit of anyone, it is who He is...Are they correct in their assessment?...

Yeshua is called the Messiah, but, so were many in the Tanakh and The Prophets...If Yeshua is HaShem, then He is HaShem, but, if He was a man that grew up and learned to refuse the evil and choose the good, thereby, garnering HaShem's approval, was annointed with the Spirit of HaShem on the day of His baptism, thereby being begotten by HaShem as His Son, being the only One of His generation to walk a spotless walk, and if the evidence from the Scriptures shows thusly, are we not obliged to change our views of Yeshua?...Once one learns the Truth, one must change, one has no excuse to remain ignorant...Look in the Tanakh and the Prophets, did the Jews expect HaShem Himself to come down to them in bodily form or did they expect a Messiah from HaShem, who embodied everything that Adam was supposed to be but failed, For Adam was created in the image of HaShem, as was Yeshua, and Yeshua came to be the image of HaShem, one failed, one succeeded?...There are many ancient religions that depict a god coming in human form and walking among his creation, what makes ours so different?...Is it possible that after the flood that people held the Truth, but, as the seperation of the people and division of the earth occured, down through the generations of the various nations, the Truth became corrupted and varied?...There is the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Egyptian story of, I think, Horus, and many others that mirror almost exactly our own beliefs, could these all be corruptions of the Truths held by Noah and his immeadiate family?...And if corruptions of that magnitude could occur, then who is to say that corruptions of a similar magnitude did not occur within the Faith of the Gospel message that Yeshua brought?...
I agree with you, and the bible is clear about being tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine. When someone wants to prove his point, that person is very good and twisting the truth to win over his debate with a person simply trying to share the gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top