U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 AM

3,094 posts, read 3,139,369 times

Advertisements

When Thomas saw the resurrected Jesus he responded, My Lord and My God!" (John 20:28). Some believe or try to explain this verse away by saying that Thomas didn't actually mean to call Jesus God. If Thomas didn't mean to call Jesus God, what did Thomas mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 AM

10,240 posts, read 3,767,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
When Thomas saw the resurrected Jesus he responded, My Lord and My God!" (John 20:28). Some believe or try to explain this verse away by saying that Thomas didn't actually mean to call Jesus God. If Thomas didn't mean to call Jesus God, what did Thomas mean?
About 20 years ago a JW told me there should have been a comma in there...suggesting that he meant "My Lord!, My God!"

To me, that seems pretty ridiculous. But it's an example of what people do when the text doesn't fit their beliefs.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 AM

10,710 posts, read 4,163,644 times
Quote:

Mat_27:46 And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani; that is, "My God, My God, why did You forsake Me?" Psa. 22:1

Mar_15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? (Which being translated is, "My God, My God, why did You forsake Me?") Psa. 22:1
Joh 20:28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, My Lord and my God!
Joh_20:17 Jesus said to her, Do not touch Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father. But go to My brothers and say to them, I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and My God, and your God.

Rom_1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of in all the world.

1Co_1:4 I give thanks to my God always concerning you for the grace of God given to you in Christ Jesus,

These also give me question as to whether I was taught Truth or not....

Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 AM

11,653 posts, read 9,177,156 times
Hi, I hadn't heard about the comma but also I believe that Thomas said this because Jesus had told the disciples that when they saw Him, they had seen the Father. He represented the Father. All they needed to know about the Father was in Jesus. He recognized that the Father was really abiding in Jesus. God bless and peace.

John 14:

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me.
7If ye had known me, ye would have known my Father also: from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and dost thou not know me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; how sayest thou, Show us the Father?
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I say unto you I speak not from myself: but the Father abiding in me doeth his works.
11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto the Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 AM

5,185 posts, read 2,073,413 times
Thomas means just what the rest of the Bible teaches, that Jesus is the Son of God, that is one of the three persons of God, Father Son and Holy Spirit. Jesus is God in the Flesh. God who is also true man.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 AM

12,951 posts, read 7,036,677 times
Quote:
Thomas had said that he would not believe that Jesus had been resurrected unless he saw the imprint of the nails in Jesus' hand and put his hand into His side. And so when Jesus appeared to the disciples inside the room, entering despite a closed door, and telling Thomas to reach with his finger into the place where the nails had been, and to place his hand into His side, Thomas had his proof and said to Jesus, ''My Lord and my God!'' Thomas called Jesus both Lord and God.

There is no room for misunderstanding Thomas' statement. And Jesus did not correct Thomas' statement. This is a clear affirmation of Jesus' deity. That He is God.

And that statement along with the other Scripture passages which speak of Christ's deity leaves without excuse any who deny that Jesus is God.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM

9,503 posts, read 5,191,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Thomas means just what the rest of the Bible teaches, that Jesus is the Son of God, that is one of the three persons of God, Father Son and Holy Spirit. Jesus is God in the Flesh. God who is also true man.

It means:
all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father
That one must honor Jesus as God just as they would as the Father prior to death if they intend to be reconciled.

And one that is not reconciled prior to death is not reconciled afterwards.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,413,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

Mat_27:46 And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani; that is, "My God, My God, why did You forsake Me?" Psa. 22:1

Mar_15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? (Which being translated is, "My God, My God, why did You forsake Me?") Psa. 22:1
Joh 20:28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, My Lord and my God!
Joh_20:17 Jesus said to her, Do not touch Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father. But go to My brothers and say to them, I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and My God, and your God.

Rom_1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of in all the world.

1Co_1:4 I give thanks to my God always concerning you for the grace of God given to you in Christ Jesus,

These also give me question as to whether I was taught Truth or not....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, I hadn't heard about the comma but also I believe that Thomas said this because Jesus had told the disciples that when they saw Him, they had seen the Father. He represented the Father. All they needed to know about the Father was in Jesus. He recognized that the Father was really abiding in Jesus. God bless and peace.

John 14:

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me.
7If ye had known me, ye would have known my Father also: from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and dost thou not know me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; how sayest thou, Show us the Father?
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I say unto you I speak not from myself: but the Father abiding in me doeth his works.
11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto the Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
Ooh...I get it. Thomas actually said: OMG! It's my Lord!

(a bit of theology-God can be in two places at once)

Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 AM

3,094 posts, read 3,139,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
About 20 years ago a JW told me there should have been a comma in there...suggesting that he meant "My Lord!, My God!"

To me, that seems pretty ridiculous. But it's an example of what people do when the text doesn't fit their beliefs.
You are right, and this is why I am being led to dialogue about specific bible verses that support one's view for or against a particular doctrine. There are Scriptures that emphatically reveal things to us about who Jesus is, and what I am seeing is how people, to support their beliefs, just say well this verse didn't mean what it says or the Greek meaning wasn't translated accurately.

I am now at the point that I don't know who's bible translation to trust since I don't speak Greek or Hebrew. I trust Jesus and what he has done for me, but in terms of who is right or wrong in regard to doctrine. I am believing that we just should leave that up to God to judge.

We already know that the scribes would inadvertently copy notes that were made on some of the original manuscripts adding to or deleting what was originally written. It's just a thought for all of us to think about, and not TRUST anyone who tells us what thus says the Lord, and that they have the truth but not willing to dialogue about people who differ from them to see whether or not their interpretation of Scripture is biblical.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 AM

11,653 posts, read 9,177,156 times
Quote:
(a bit of theology-God can be in two places at once)
Yes, He is everywhere. Jesus told us that the Father was in Him and He is the exact image of the invisible God. God bless and peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity