Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Baptism, a religious act of purification by water that is associated with Christianity, is performed differently by different denominations, ranging from a light sprinkling to full body immersion.

The latter is commonly practiced by more conservative and independent churches, said Glenn Daman, director of Village Missions Center for Leadership Development, a resource for small and rural churches.

Some churches still perform baptisms in rivers, creeks - Nashville, Tennessee - Saturday, 10/13/07 - Tennessean.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 09:13 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Baptism, a religious act of purification by water that is associated with Christianity, is performed differently by different denominations, ranging from a light sprinkling to full body immersion.

The latter is commonly practiced by more conservative and independent churches, said Glenn Daman, director of Village Missions Center for Leadership Development, a resource for small and rural churches.

Some churches still perform baptisms in rivers, creeks - Nashville, Tennessee - Saturday, 10/13/07 - Tennessean.com
Its true.. I saw one on the picture screen once..

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-19-2007, 09:39 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
used to be real common here in AR

Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
My husband, daughter and oldest son were baptized in the Colorado River (it's 56 degrees year round, even when it's 120 degrees in the summer ). They wanted it that way because it seemed more "back to basics". They could have done it inside church, but.....

Old 10-19-2007, 10:13 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I had to laugh when this was posted as 'news.' I didn't know people didn't really baptise in creeks. I think my family who are baptised were done so in the creek near their church.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:19 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I had to laugh when this was posted as 'news.' I didn't know people didn't really baptise in creeks. I think my family who are baptised were done so in the creek near their church.
I thought the same thing.. but having lived in Nashville and having read the Tennessean.. I understand why it is news to them. I'm guessing tomorrow there will be a story on how man landed on the moon..

Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Default An ole' time baptism

Most churches here have baptistrys and the hospital also has one..It is not rare though for someone to want to be baptized in the creeks or rivers...My mil said when she decided to be baptized at 16, it was the middle of the night .. Her older brother was a preacher and they lived right on the Levisa River in Ky. The family all got up, some of the children alerted the neighbors and they all "gathered at the river" with their "coal oil " lanterrns for a baptizing and praise the Lord with song..Then they all gathered at the house and had a wonderful big country breakfast, before the men got ready to go to the mines to work...

Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I thought the same thing....."And this is supposed to be NEWS?" Anywhere there is a small church near a creek or river, there will be baptisms. It saves a lot on not having to build a baptistry. Even larger churches will do this when natural flowing water is nearby.

There is a church in our area that makes it a regular thing to take people to the ocean and immerse them there. Usually early in the morning at about daybreak. With the sun just coming up over the ocean, it makes for quite a meaningful experience.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
it makes for quite a meaningful experience.
I agree! I wish I could have had my baptism in a river or lake. I think it would be a beautiful back drop for such a special occasion.

I remember when I was little and we live in Michigan. Our church had a picnic on the riverside one Sunday afternoon. It was also a baptismal service. It was such a memorable occasion, that I still think about it from time to time.

There's just something about being outside surrounded by God's creation and, at the same time, watching someone proclaim that God is at work creating something new inside of them.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I agree! I wish I could have had my baptism in a river or lake. I think it would be a beautiful back drop for such a special occasion.

I remember when I was little and we live in Michigan. Our church had a picnic on the riverside one Sunday afternoon. It was also a baptismal service. It was such a memorable occasion, that I still think about it from time to time.

There's just something about being outside surrounded by God's creation and, at the same time, watching someone proclaim that God is at work creating something new inside of them.
Yeah, it's kinda like a lot of folks (my church group included) want to be baptized in the river Jordan if they go to Israel. (Now me, I have to confess I'm "squeamish." I don't even like the thought of getting in "natural" (read "dirty" water) I know that's weird, but that's me! I don't swim in lakes etc.

Seems like a great idea for other folks though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity