U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2007, 12:20 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,432,245 times
Question Confrontation...when to do it? How to do it?

Well, certainly as Christians we know how much the Lord values love and forgiveness, but at least IMO, the Bible also allows for and even seems to encourage and even demand "confrontation" especially of a fellow believer when needed. The Bible also talks about "speaking the truth in love" so obviously, that is how it should be done. What do you think that means exactly? When do you think confrontation is called for and when do you think it's better to just pray and leave the situation with the Lord?

When do you think you personally should "confront" a brother or sister in the Lord? Have you ever had to do this? Let's discuss.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 PM

8,532 posts, read 10,314,329 times
I only confront people when they ask for help. I try to help them with making a decision. I always speak my mind but the other is responsible for his own actions. If he does or does not take my words to heart is not my responsibility.

Communication is inherently a 'confrontation' so confrontation can only be avoided when you isolate yourself from others.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 PM

6,960 posts, read 16,152,459 times
Kay, on the surface, it may seem that we should do something, but it may be that there are very deeply hidden reasons for certain behavior. That's where we could run into trouble if we don't understand everything.

Let's face it, sometimes we mean well, but we open up that can of worms. We need to be very sure of what we are doing when we try to correct another adult's behavior.

Will they consider it none of our business and turn away instead of listening?

If they were our friend, would we risk cutting the ties of friendship? Would that change them?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 PM

3,434 posts, read 6,562,043 times
thats a tough question..I dont offer any advice about anything unless I am asked or someone else is in danger..the latter requires immediate action IMHO..if I had a problem with someone..I would ask the pastor to sit in..as a mediator/moderator that way both sides of the story can be told..thats way its all out there..so to speak.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:45 PM

3,086 posts, read 3,969,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, certainly as Christians we know how much the Lord values love and forgiveness, but at least IMO, the Bible also allows for and even seems to encourage and even demand "confrontation" especially of a fellow believer when needed. The Bible also talks about "speaking the truth in love" so obviously, that is how it should be done. What do you think that means exactly? When do you think confrontation is called for and when do you think it's better to just pray and leave the situation with the Lord?

When do you think you personally should "confront" a brother or sister in the Lord? Have you ever had to do this? Let's discuss.
We have a responsibility toward our brethren or sisters in the Lord.. "Reprove" is different than "rebuke". If I see something I question in my brother's life, I can go to him, maybe ask him "how's it going?", and get his side of the story... we "prove it together". That is alot different than walking up to him and rebuking him for his failings...
This is hard to do... it's alot easier to either just "ignore" it or "gossip" to other people about it.. but the biblical way of "between you and him alone" is the way which draws and binds together.

And kaykay, I'm glad you brought this up... I've been thinking about this very subject lately. (Can't give you reps..!)

Old 10-19-2007, 12:47 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,578,140 times
Kaykay I think this is a great topic. It is so CHALLENGING for me because I hate confrontation on so many levels. I am a wimp about it (Unless it involves Baby Thirsty and then I become a whole different person entirely). It is hard for me because I know I am so far from where I need to be, its hard to call out another even in Christian care. I will gladly help and offer advice if someone asks for it. I am curious how others will answer this.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM

3,086 posts, read 3,969,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
It is hard for me because I know I am so far from where I need to be, its hard to call out another even in Christian care.
I know... I'm so far from the mark many times. Who am I to go talk to someone else about their spiritual life? Often, I find it works best if I talk to them about how God has helped me, how I have or had a problem with the very same thing.. The bible says to "take the beam from your own eye before removing your brother's splinter". I don't think this means that we have to be perfect before we reprove anyone, just that we should see our own mistakes and failings, and have them in the proper light and be willing to deal with them.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:57 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,578,140 times
That was very well put cg81, I really appreciate that post.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:57 PM

3,434 posts, read 6,562,043 times
the way I see it..when someone (Christian) is in the wrong..the Holy Spirit is gonna convict them..just like when I come under conviction..for doing/saying something I shouldnt have said or done..

Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 PM

3,540 posts, read 4,173,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

I have confronted those that are misleading others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity