Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I know a LOT of DIVORCED and twice or even thrice married hetero-sexual Christians. Just sayin' I suppose they are living in perpetual adultery? Or God has forgiven people of all sin. Take you choice. I know which one I choose to believe.
They sinned by divorcing. They sinned by marrying again. As a pastor I will not counsel someone to divorce....except in the case of unfaithfulness...and even then I would push for reconciliation if at all possible. There is an unmarried couple in my church that has asked me to marry them. I don't know the details of their circumstance, but my first thought is that no--I won't do it, because she has been married 2 times before, and his divorce papers aren't final yet

Yes---Christians have made mistakes. But that's no reason to just give up on marriage and do whatever feels right.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
My parents where married for over 64 years till death did parted them .
2 of my uncle's (on my father's side) where married 62 yrs \ 65yr till death did parted them.
My other uncle (on my father's side) are married 67 yrs and still counting

My oldest sister are married 46 yrs and still counting
My older brother are married 39 yrs and still counting
My older brother are married 34 yrs and still counting
My older brother are married 33 yrs and still counting
My older brother are married 29 yrs and still counting
I have been married 29 yrs and still counting
My younger brother are married 11 yrs and still counting (never divorced \ never lived together prior to marriage)
So what. There are some long-term marriages which are loving and faithful throughout. But there are also some people who have been married for 50 years and despise each other. I've seen many cases of it. How many years someone has been married does not prove it is a good marriage, I can assure you of that. Many people stay together for financial reasons, for the children's sake, for fear of religious dogma, and some because they genuinely love each other. Your numbers are meaningless.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:55 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't recall saying anything about celibacy. Parhaps you confuse me with someone else.
Not at all. Celibacy is the only option for gay people based on your beliefs, thus my question is appropriate. It's either celibacy or sin.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:55 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,378,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Gay divorce rates will be no different than Christian divorce rates. When gay romance goes wrong, they out each others business worse than straight folks do, especially the males. I have seen numerous times they out every griity detail about the other person when the relationship goes bad, so i know for sure there divorce rate will be just as high or maybe even higher when same sex marriage gets legalized in America.

No matter how may times it is manipulated or spun around about scriptures being wrong or mistranslated, homosexuality is sexual immorality, and until someone can provide one, JUST ONE scripture where God says it is okay for same sex to have the green light to have sex with each other it will be considered and is sexual immorality.

Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[a] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[b] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,[a] nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5:5
5 For this you know,[a] that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Colossians 3:5-9
5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, 7 in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them.

Revelation 21:8
8 But the cowardly, unbelieving,[a] abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Oh! Oh! I have a great idea! Let's post a bunch of verses already addressed and underline words that have already had their definition questioned! That'll convince them!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:57 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
They sinned by divorcing. They sinned by marrying again. As a pastor I will not counsel someone to divorce....except in the case of unfaithfulness...and even then I would push for reconciliation if at all possible.
Just curious, Vizio... What about abuse? If a man is "faithful" to his wife (i.e. he is not sleeping around, etc.) but is abusive (especially physically abusive) to her, how would you counsel her with respect to divorcing him? Would you actually suggest that she stay with him and continue to be abused?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
So what. There are some long-term marriages which are loving and faithful throughout. But there are also some people who have been married for 50 years and despise each other. I've seen many cases of it. How many years someone has been married does not prove it is a good marriage, I can assure you of that. Many people stay together for financial reasons, for the children's sake, for fear of religious dogma, and some because they genuinely love each other. Your numbers are meaningless.
A good friend of mine stayed in an absolutely horrible (i.e. very abusive) marriage for over 40 years. I encouraged her for years to get out. When she finally did, she said she wished so much she'd done so sooner. Like so many women, she stuck it out "for the kids." It took her until after the divorce to realize that she hadn't done her kids any favors by staying with their father. (Sometimes Dr. Phil bugs me, but I totally agree with him on one thing he said: "It's better for kids to come from a broken home than to be in one.")

Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Supreme Court Gay Marriage Cases: Court Urged To Uphold Proposition 8, Defense Of Marriage Act

I am still old school for traditional marriage, and think homosexuality is a sin like any other sin, coveting, stealing, lying, lust, greed, hate, etc.

So, are any others still for traditional marriage? It seems almost everybody in the world is pushing for gay rights in each state!

I also treat gay people with respect and kindly. I just don't agree with their lifestyle. God Bless, Coastalbum
Why is it that so many fundamentalist Christians complain about the government involving itself into every facet of their lives to the point of stocking ammo in the basement, yet turn around and applaud government intervention in the most personal decision two adults can make?

I am totally straight, married, and conservative. Yet the central tenet of conservatism is the limitation of government, not the use of it to bludgeon those of whom you do not approve. Whether two men or two women decide to commit to each for life is simply not the concern of anyone else, the government least among them. Feel free to denounce homosexuality all you want from the pulpit. Doing so from the judge's bench, however, is definitely not okay.

Further, there is a mounting body of evidence that shows that homosexuality is genetic. So limiting the civil rights of gays makes about as much sense as limiting the rights of those with different skin color. Or do you remember how that worked out?

Finally, treating gays with respect or kindness is totally beside the point. As a Christian you're supposed to do that. However, I don't see much that's kind about limiting the civil rights of someone who was born with a different sexual preference than yours and really doesn't have much choice in the matter.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:07 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Gay divorce rates will be no different than Christian divorce rates. When gay romance goes wrong, they out each others business worse than straight folks do, especially the males. I have seen numerous times they out every griity detail about the other person when the relationship goes bad, so i know for sure there divorce rate will be just as high or maybe even higher when same sex marriage gets legalized in America.

No matter how may times it is manipulated or spun around about scriptures being wrong or mistranslated, homosexuality is sexual immorality, and until someone can provide one, JUST ONE scripture where God says it is okay for same sex to have the green light to have sex with each other it will be considered and is sexual immorality.

Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[a] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[b] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,[a] nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5:5
5 For this you know,[a] that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Colossians 3:5-9
5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, 7 in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them.

Revelation 21:8
8 But the cowardly, unbelieving,[a] abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
In other words, you're sticking your fingers in your ear, and ignoring the countless posts proving you wrong and expecting unrealistic proof of something because you are unwilling to be open-minded and let go of your bigotry. Yup, sounds like a typical religious extremist. The fact that you still quote Corinthians to condemn gays proves you don't care about the truth. It's a fact that the word used in Corinthians cannot refer to homosexuals. It has never in 1900 years done so. For the entire protestant reformation, it condemned masturbators. And the word linguistically, cannot condemn lesbians. But none of that matters to you. You seem to think posting the same corrupted, 1946 verse over and over will some how make us think you know what you're talking about. You don't.

Last edited by Fiyero; 01-28-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Your being vile is meaningless.

As it was stated earlier, those who are set against the truth will have enmity against those who are for the truth.

The "I don't care what scriptures say" crowd will always find something to be disparaging about with those who "I care what the scriptures say".

Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
In other words, you're sticking your fingers in your ear, and ignoring the countless posts proving you wrong and expecting unrealistic proof of something because you are unwilling to be open-minded and let go of your bigotry. Yup, sounds like a typical religious extremist. The fact that you still quote Corinthians to condemn gays proves you don't care about the truth. It's a fact that the word used in Corinthians cannot refer to homosexuals. It has never in 1900 years done so. For the entire protestant reformation, it condemned masturbators. And the word linguistically, cannot condemn lesbians. But none of that matters to you. You seem to think posting the same corrupted, 1946 verse over and over will some how make us think you know what you're talking about. You don't.
Then change your tactic if you think you're so correct.

Same can be said of you:
You seem to think posting the same corrupted, perversion (that God says it is) over and over will some how make us think you know what you're talking about. You don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity