Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,469 times

Advertisements

Does your church allow gays and lesbians to be members of the church? If so would they tolerate openly gay and lesbian members to be members of the church? Would you also befriend a gay and lesbian if they attended your church?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:12 AM

307 posts, read 284,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Does your church allow gays and lesbians to be members of the church? If so would they tolerate openly gay and lesbian members to be members of the church? Would you also befriend a gay and lesbian if they attended your church?
The short answer is no. We do not allow those living together without being married to join or those we know are actively involved in sin. I don't think we have ever had any members who were gay or lesbian. I would think that if a member choose that lifestyle and we knew about it and they refused to repent of their sin and stop that our church would dis-fellowship them. I try to welcome any visitors to our church. We have many who attend (but are not members) who are active in some sinful lifestyle. We welcome them to come and learn of God and pray they will one day turn from their sin and accept Jesus as their savior. We all remember that at one time we were all lost and sinners without Christ.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Absolutely anyone should be allowed to join in fellowship if they are respectful and well behaved. Jesus came to heal the sick, not the well.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
Homosexuals may attend church and Bible class, even take confirmation lessons, but unless they repent, no, they are not allowed to join or receive the Lord's Supper. But we have the same rules for heterosexual people who are sexually active with people other than their opposite sex spouse. Same applies to crooks, thieves, drunkards, pedophiles etc.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
They are welcome to attend. The current membership rules allow anyone basically to join. In the future that will be changing and we will be interviewing prospective members to make sure that only Christians are let in, and that their life reflects Christ. That means that anyone living in obvious sin -- be it the single guy living with his girlfriend, or the guy that engages in homosexual behavior will won't be let in.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
An exclusive membership leads to separation; a profit of ten percent, when you close the doors.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,423 times
And yet these folks can't understand that they are driving people away from their church. Not much about them resemble Jesus Christ. I quit going to church years ago because of intolerance folks like the ones who post on here. Christianly will soon be a relic of the past.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 AM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Yes, our denomination along with several other mainline Protestant churches welcomes Gay, Lesbian and Transgender individuals as members and into full communion and service to the church including the ministry.

I could not attend any church that did otherwise.

My denomination is The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We have a website if anyone is seeking a church home Home - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. This web site also offers connections to the websites of individual congregations, so that prospective members can get an idea of what the congregation is like before attending.

Each church is comprised of many members and sadly, there are some members of ELCA Lutheran Churches that personally do not accept gay people, but they are in the minority.

No one is excluded for worship or Christian fellowship in my denomination because of race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic back ground or any other trait over which they have no control. All are permitted to serve as ordained ministers if they feel called to do so.

Who would Jesus exclude? The answer to that is obvious - no one.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes, our denomination along with several other mainline Protestant churches welcomes Gay, Lesbian and Transgender individuals as members and into full communion and service to the church including the ministry.

I could not attend any church that did otherwise.

My denomination is The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We have a website if anyone is seeking a church home Home - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. This web site also offers connections to the websites of individual congregations, so that prospective members can get an idea of what the congregation is like before attending.

Each church is comprised of many members and sadly, there are some members of ELCA Lutheran Churches that personally do not accept gay people, but they are in the minority.

No one is excluded for worship or Christian fellowship in my denomination because of race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic back ground or any other trait over which they have no control. All are permitted to serve as ordained ministers if they feel called to do so.

Who would Jesus exclude? The answer to that is obvious - no one.
Sheena12 = True Christian
Sheena12 = Has a good Soul

Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 AM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Sheena12 = True Christian
Sheena12 = Has a good Soul
Thank you! I try with God's grace. Please do not be turned off to Christianity because of a few judgmental and rejecting church experiences. There is a church home for you if you seek fellowship with other Christians and a place to worship the Lord!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.