U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM

5,342 posts, read 9,362,376 times

Advertisements

After seeing this commercial played endlessly over the past few weeks on my local stations I have a couple of thoughts.

If God wanted two people to meet would he need the assistance of an internet matchmaking site?

Also, wouldn't this be a perfect opportunity for a scam artist to take advantage of unsuspecting women who came to this site thinking that everyone they meet would be a Christian? Would they perhaps let their guard down, making themselves easy prey for a con artist after their money?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 PM

307 posts, read 268,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
After seeing this commercial played endlessly over the past few weeks on my local stations I have a couple of thoughts.

If God wanted two people to meet would he need the assistance of an internet matchmaking site?

Also, wouldn't this be a perfect opportunity for a scam artist to take advantage of unsuspecting women who came to this site thinking that everyone they meet would be a Christian? Would they perhaps let their guard down, making themselves easy prey for a con artist after their money?
I don't personally believe God chooses who we marry. I am sure there will be many who condemn me to a limited time in hell for saying that but I have come to expect that on this forum.

I would also be concerned that unsuspecting men could get conned by women after their money as well.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 PM

73,512 posts, read 43,447,425 times
Quote:

God doesn't need anything, but he uses people, and even the internet to fulfill His plan.

As for scams, - yes there is always that risk. Whoever used these services needs to be aware of the risks.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM

9,456 posts, read 11,672,279 times
Quote:

Does the term "putting legs on your prayers" ring true to you?

Example: Want a job?--pray about it and do (pick one):

a) sit at home and expect God to have some employer give you a call

b) pray and then send out resumes, knock on doors. Contact firms and fill out applications

OK? I suspect option "b" is what God expects.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 PM

28,960 posts, read 14,671,017 times
Christianmingle.com

Subjective at best, for most who profess to be truly are not.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM

4,674 posts, read 5,571,529 times
Go on Facebook and in the past myspace and look at all the peoples profiles that said "Christian" and then look at the stuff that is on their page, and how wild some of it can get. Im sure some of the wild stuff you see on those social sites, those same folks are on christianmingle as well.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM

19,943 posts, read 16,252,304 times
Quote:

Why does God make anyone meet in any way? I met my wife at church. You could suggest that God doesn't need an adult Sunday School class to put us together...why didn't we meet at the grocery store?

But to answer your question....yeah...I'd be leery of anyone I met there until I got to know them a bit more.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,657,583 times
The name of the service is enough to keep me away should I ever have need of an on-line singles meeting place, lol

And yeah, I do find their commercial ads a little funny. But there are a lot of lonely people in the world so I hope it helps some of them to find their true love.

Have you heard of the one for FARMERS? That one really tickles me - it is for those who don't want to mingle with city Folk (reminds me of the old show "Green Acres"

'Farmers Only' Dating website:
‘Farmers Only,’ dating website that ‘city folks just don’t get,’ passes 200,000 subscribers | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

Oh, and since this is a Christian Dating thread, I thought I'd add that I just noticed on Facebook that Leeland is running a Valentine special: (for those who might be Leeland fans) ... it is called their Maui Lovesong Getaway which sounds very romantic:
Mac Powell of Third Day | Greg Laurie | Christian Travel | Love Song Couples Getaway

Last edited by Heartsong; 02-05-2013 at 02:18 AM..

Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 AM

5,342 posts, read 9,362,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Go on Facebook and in the past myspace and look at all the peoples profiles that said "Christian" and then look at the stuff that is on their page, and how wild some of it can get. Im sure some of the wild stuff you see on those social sites, those same folks are on christianmingle as well.
Right! I work at a business that calls itself a "Christian Company" but some of the meanest people I ever met are long time employees.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 AM

73,512 posts, read 43,447,425 times
Quote:
Right! I work at a business that calls itself a "Christian Company" but some of the meanest people I ever met are long time employees.
If your company advertises itself as Christians, it does not mean everyone who works there is a Christian. I dont' think Christianmingle.com has a test to see who is a born again Christian, and who is just looking for a quick date. It is for you to find out what kind of person you are talking to before you meet up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity