U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Somerset, Kentucky
473 posts, read 584,156 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

Jesus spoke Aramaic (Hebrew) His name was Yeshua. Aramaic can be found even in Genesis. Y'shua was known as the king of the Yehudi (Jews). The name Apostle in Aramaic(Seliah) means to be sent.

The twleve Apostles and their name meanings.
Simon Peter--Aramaic--Simon (Shim'on)--means God has heard--Peter (Cephas/Kephas) means rock
Andrew--A GREEK name--means Adam, man, manly--He's Peter's brother
John--Aramaic/Hebrew--(Yochanan)--means God is gracious
James/Jacob--Aramaic--(Ya'aqov)--means to follow, heel
Thomas--Aramaic--(Tau'ma)--means twin
Matthew--Aramaic--(Mattityahu)--means gift of God
Simon the Cananaean--Aramaic--means the zealot or jealous one
Philip--A GREEK name--means lover/friend of horses
Bartholomew--Aramaic--means son of farmer/furrow/hill (He was also known as Nathanael)
Judas Iscariot--Aramaic--(Yehuda)--means praised one
James the younger--Aramaic--(Ya'aqov) means to follow, heel
Matthias(chosen after Judas)--Aramaic--(Matityahu)variant of Matthew--means gift of God
Thaddaeus--Aramaic--means heart--brother of James

If you're curious the name of Mark is Latin (Marcus) and means sea green or hammer---The name of Luke is Greek (Loukas) and means from Luciania (Italy)Timothy is a Greek name tha means honouring God. Titus is Latin and means to honor or defender.
Yeshua Bless You
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Clearwater,Fl
55 posts, read 158,648 times
Reputation: 30
Essentially Yeshua is a "nick" like mike for micheal ,but communicated Jesus in hebrew. Back in the day Jesus was called either Yehoushua or Yahousha the prefex "Yah" of the later connotes Jesus as the fulness of the Godhead (Jesus is God in the flesh) The english use of Jesus was begun only about 700 years ago. In Acts 2:38 Peter refers to Yeshua as the Christ so it appears Yehousha encompasses his full name Jesus Christ? The Greek to english from the original hebrew can be tricky.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Somerset, Kentucky
473 posts, read 584,156 times
Reputation: 111
Do you know Aramaic? What is the Aramaic word for together? I asked God and He gave me a word, I can't find out if what I heard is really correct or if I imagined it. It sounded like aka or aucca. I don't know any Hebrew so I could just be crazy or something. It's just a word that kinda drifted back to me.
Yeshua Bless You
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 AM
 
24 posts, read 88,343 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Jesus spoke Aramaic (Hebrew) His name was Yeshua.
How can we know what Jesus' name was in Aramaic, if the gospels were only written in Greek?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM
 
Location: US
26,244 posts, read 13,909,589 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshuareigns View Post
Essentially Yeshua is a "nick" like mike for micheal ,but communicated Jesus in hebrew. Back in the day Jesus was called either Yehoushua or Yahousha the prefex "Yah" of the later connotes Jesus as the fulness of the Godhead (Jesus is God in the flesh) The english use of Jesus was begun only about 700 years ago. In Acts 2:38 Peter refers to Yeshua as the Christ so it appears Yehousha encompasses his full name Jesus Christ? The Greek to english from the original hebrew can be tricky.
God in the flesh, huh?...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 12,963,461 times
Reputation: 1957
Why not call him by the name that the Gospels use?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Somerset, Kentucky
473 posts, read 584,156 times
Reputation: 111
Two things indicate that Yehoshua is the proper Hebrew name for Jesus:
(1) In the Greek Translation of the OT known as the Septuagint (LXX), the name Joshua is rendered *Iasous* = Jesus.
(2) In the NT, Joshua is mentioned twice (Acts 7:45; Heb 4:8), and in both places the Greek NT spells the name *Iasous* = Jesus.
Thus the Greek *Iasous* is the equivalent of Hebrew *Yehoshua*
Y'shua Bless You
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 12,963,461 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Two things indicate that Yehoshua is the proper Hebrew name for Jesus:
(1) In the Greek Translation of the OT known as the Septuagint (LXX), the name Joshua is rendered *Iasous* = Jesus.
(2) In the NT, Joshua is mentioned twice (Acts 7:45; Heb 4:8), and in both places the Greek NT spells the name *Iasous* = Jesus.
Thus the Greek *Iasous* is the equivalent of Hebrew *Yehoshua*
Y'shua Bless You
The NT was written in Greek. Why not call him the Greek name? You do realize that the apostles could have called him "Yeshua" if they wanted, right?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM
 
4,039 posts, read 3,698,225 times
Reputation: 3089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The NT was written in Greek. Why not call him the Greek name? You do realize that the apostles could have called him "Yeshua" if they wanted, right?

I dont think anyone would know who Ioesus, if we started calling him that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 03:12 PM
 
24 posts, read 88,343 times
Reputation: 14
Does Peter have to be called Cephas now as well, or does this sound too clearly similar to Caiaphas?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top