Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,480,631 times

Advertisements

Doctrine of demons?: That God is eternal and Jesus has given folk who trust in Him: For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. (John 3:16 NASB) This is the last post I will waste on you. The issue is settled. Seems you don't believe the words of Jesus or His Promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Mr5150, just because I like to post concerning the truth God told us that He "will have all mankind to be saved because Christ ransomed all" (1 Tim.2:4-6) does not make me a Universalist. Just because you believe God will eternally torment people I would not call you a Satanist even though it is a doctrine of demons.

There is no verse in the Bible that says God is eternal. And He has not promised eternal life to anyone..
This ^^^ from a person who says this:

Quote:
Prairieparson, your thesis has major flaws.

For instance, there are plenty of well trained translators who did not translate "aion" as "world" or "never" or "ever" or "for ever" or "course" or "world without end" etc.

You are also arguing from a fallacy called the fallacy of authority. In other words, you are stating that if an authority figure, in this case, translators who agree with you, translated aion a certain way that they must be correct in their translation.

You probabaly will miss the obvious but to recap: "Translators who agree with you have to be right". Thus you Holding up three special translations that support UR theology as right, with the majority of respected translations as being wrong. You have lost all credibility with nonuniversalists

You and the Jehovah Witnesses do have something in common. The modified bible you use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,887,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Doctrine of demons?: That God is eternal and Jesus has given folk who trust in Him: For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. (John 3:16 NASB)
That's interesting, I didn't know Jesus spoke in English. He did not say that one who believes will have "eternal life" in John 3:16 but said such a one would have ζωην αιωνιον (life eonian).

The context of my "doctrine of demons" you hold was about eternal torment. Please refrain from lying about what I stated.

Quote:
This is the last post I will waste on you. The issue is settled. Seems you don't believe the words of Jesus or His Promise.
Yay!

Quote:
You and the Jehovah Witnesses do have something in common. The modified bible you use.
That's funny because I've been quoting from the KJV, CLNT, YLT and Weymouths. JW's just use their own translation.

You and the Satanists do have something in common; they worship Satan as a being greater than God who is more powerful than God and will win billions but God a measly few.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,480,631 times
Quote:

That's interesting, I didn't know Jesus spoke in English. He did not say that one who believes will have "eternal life" in John 3:16 but said such a one would have ζωην αιωνιον (life eonian). (Jesus did not speak in Greek either. Aramaic)

You and the Satanists do have something in common; they worship Satan as a being greater than God who is more powerful than God and will win billions but God a measly few.
OK I will make one exeception to my pledge.

Just to point out how ridiculous is your POV. So anyone who disagrees with you worships satan? Meaning that 99% of Christians worship satan? Goodbye.

One tip: change your profile picture if you are going to tell Christians they worship satan.

Edit: OK, you got me. Pulling my chain, screwing with my mind. Nobody with any level of seriousness would level such statements. LOL. You're getting a rep from me.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,887,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius

That's interesting, I didn't know Jesus spoke in English. He did not say that one who believes will have "eternal life" in John 3:16 but said such a one would have ζωην αιωνιον (life eonian). (Jesus did not speak in Greek either. Aramaic)

Notice above that Mr5150 edited my statement in red as if I had written that.
Jesus did speak in Greek since the Romans were in control of Israel. Since Jesus and his father by law (Joseph) were business people (carpenters) they had to know Greek in order to do business, speak with the Roman rulers etc.
The Jews today who live scattered around the world speak the languages of the country in which they reside. They have always done this since they are inherently business people. Jesus never spoke in English, especially the King James English and never said "eternal" when connected with either chastening nor life.

Mr5150 just proves if you can't win an argument, attack the message bearer.

Edit: I have an extreme level of seriousness to level such statements.

Last edited by Eusebius; 02-08-2013 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
When I see 30 (so to speak) well regarded translations that all render a particular word (in context) as Eternal I tend to say OK, must be so.
When I see two or three obscure or lesser known translations render eternal as age or eon, I question why the translator did that.
When I hear the voices of humanity say: "Crucify him, Crucify him; it covers our sin."
I question more than mere translations, such as the mentality to actually comprehend.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I wouldn't even attempt to try to explain it here, for a variety of reasons. Mostly because no one would know what I was talking about.
You could at least put forth the effort, before making false accusations predicated on pride.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,087,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
So i'll ask you the same question... where in the bible does it say God is eternal?
'eternal' would be the Greek word 'aidos'. I'm not sure if there is a verse that says God is 'aidos'. Perhaps you can point me to one.

However there are verses that say God is immortal ie. lives forever.
I also believe it is implied that God has no beginning (though I can't find a specific verse right now).
So this would mean God is eternal.

As I said before, just because God is eonian does not mean He is not eternal.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,242,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
'eternal' would be the Greek word 'aidos'. I'm not sure if there is a verse that says God is 'aidos'. Perhaps you can point me to one.

However there are verses that say God is immortal ie. lives forever.
I also believe it is implied that God has no beginning (though I can't find a specific verse right now).
So this would mean God is eternal.

As I said before, just because God is eonian does not mean He is not eternal.
I hate to break it to you but eternal and lives forever are the same thing...

Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 PM

14,696 posts, read 17,026,769 times
Quote:
As I said before, just because God is eonian does not mean He is not eternal
Right, the eonian God is the God who created the ages, yet He existed before the ages and will exist beyond the ages. They are not the same. God bless and peace.

Hebrews 1:

In many parts, and many ways, God of old having spoken to the fathers in the prophets,
2 in these last days did speak to us in a Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He did make the ages; (YLT)

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 02-09-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
I hate to break it to you but eternal and lives forever are the same thing...
Not quite. Eternal has no beginning and no end. Immortal and lives forever are the same thing. We have a beginning so the only option open to us is immortality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity