Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,847 times

Advertisements

Okay I am not sure if I am wording this correctly but hopefully I can. When you reach out to others who are not Christian...how do you do it in a respectful way? I mean how do you share without people tuning out? I don't really try...I just try to live my life in a Christian way (although I fall short) and chat about it if people ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 01:41 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,381 times
Well, if you want the opinion of smarmy, godless heathen...

Truth be told, the second you start preaching, you lose any chance at getting someone to listen to what you have to say.

When people try to sell jesus like a used car, they come off as either confrontational, or untrustworthy.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Well, if you want the opinion of smarmy, godless heathen...

Truth be told, the second you start preaching, you lose any chance at getting someone to listen to what you have to say.

When people try to sell jesus like a used car, they come off as either confrontational, or untrustworthy.
actually..this is something we agree on.....Im a christian..and I dont even like it when people "preach" at other people in a non church atmosphere.

sure..Ive witnessed to people..prayed the sinners pray with folks..but it wasnt me that did it..the Holy Spirit drew them..I was just the instrument..I didnt stand on the street corner..or at work ..or from my car telling folks what kind of bad sinners they were...

wanna lead someone to Christ..show them you care about them first..

Old 10-22-2007, 01:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
Okay I am not sure if I am wording this correctly but hopefully I can. When you reach out to others who are not Christian...how do you do it in a respectful way?
Same as in any conversation: be polite, have a clearly defined point, and listen when it's your turn to do so.

Quote:
I mean how do you share without people tuning out?
It depends on what you mean by "tune out". Essentially, I am already tuned-out to Christianity. I don't mind discussing it, but not in an argumentative way (meaning: the conversation becomes useless AND uninteresting to me once it has become an argument about which of 2 or more unprovable beliefs is "correct"). I'm certainly open to hearing about WHY people believe in the way that they do. Don't so much care WHAT they believe, though.

Quote:
I don't really try...I just try to live my life in a Christian way (although I fall short) and chat about it if people ask.

This is probably the best thing you can do. You'll know intrinsically when to reach out.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:05 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
I just try to be myself.
When people like you they will talk with you and when they talk find out what you have in common.
I'm very opinionated so I'll usually skip the small talk and cut right to what matters.
Unless I try to be funny, then I can be pointless.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:57 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,188 times
I used to help with the youth group at my church. The youth pastor would always encourage us to develop close relationships with the teenagers. I remember the phrase he used to always say was, "You have to earn the right to speak into someone's life."

That has really stuck with me. It applies anywhere, not just youth. If you want to tell someone about Jesus, you have to have proven yourself to them first. If you have not done this, they will question your motives. However, if you have been a friend in every situation so far, they will be more receptive to you. (They may not accept Christ on the spot, but they will be more "fertile soil" than they would have been otherwise.)

Hope that made sense.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:20 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I also agree with Satanoid..If I meet someone, I never ask them if they are Christian or not..In fact, to be completely truthful, I don't like people to ask me that either when they first meet me.I would hope that they would be interested in getting to know me before getting personal...I don't discuss my beliefs with anyone that I don't know personally..I don't choose my friends by their beliefs.. After I know a person, I have no problem sharing our beliefs with each other

Old 10-22-2007, 03:27 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,847 times
Its nice to hear your responses. I am not a person who really talks about it a lot. I was just wondering what others on the Christian board thought. And Satanoid I can understand a lot from your viewpoint.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:11 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
Okay I am not sure if I am wording this correctly but hopefully I can. When you reach out to others who are not Christian...how do you do it in a respectful way? I mean how do you share without people tuning out? I don't really try...I just try to live my life in a Christian way (although I fall short) and chat about it if people ask.
The best way to get someone to hear you is to listen to them first.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:32 PM

265 posts, read 664,982 times
As a new Christian, I was quilty of overkill.
A seed here and there. If someone asks, be ready with an answer as Apostle Paul said.
Drop a seed or two, then back away. Pray for them. God is in charge of the seed growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity