Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,053 times

Advertisements

In the context of local hunting, I don't care if somebody's shooting whitetail deer for horns, meat, or just fun--as long as more deer wind up somewhere other than the middle of the road. I think that there can be sin associated with hunting, be it for mounting or meat, but that sin is no different than sins that can be associated with any other pasttime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 08:50 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,180 times
I don't think it is a "sin", but I do think it's wong. I have no prblem with hunting if it is used for something practical. But when it is done simply to stuff and show off, that is not good stewardship of God's creation.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times
Interesting question. If trophy hunting is a sin, then is mating animals for food a sin too? Whether you mount it on a wall or eat it, it's all for some sort of human want and consumption. And no, I'm not a vegetarian. Just getting philosophical. Females cows are impregnated via aritficial insemination and then shot up with hormones, etc. etc. That's completely against nature. I don't like the idea of trophy hunting at all, but if it is a sin, then perhaps killing animals overall is too?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:39 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
I originally posted this because I saw, or heard of, rich people fly up here to Alaska, spend $15,000, $20,000, or more, on special "fly-in" guided hunts, just so they could take a trophy moose, bear, sheep, caribou, etc, with "the biggest rack, the most immense horns, the largest hide, the most fearsome teeth and claws", etc, with not the slightest care about the meat. All they wanted was something for the taxidermist "back home" to mount into an incredible snarling man-eating trophy, ready to pouce on it's unsuspecting victim.
On the other hand: Hunting for meat is NOT a sin! Killing animals for food is NOT a sin! It is even a neccessity in many parts of Alaska, because normal "store-bought" food is just way too expensive! Don't think so? Well....then, I invite you to come on up to any of the "bush" villages in Alaska, and see for yourself...don't take my word for it! Many of the native bush families make less than $10,000 a year! And the food prices in the stores are quite often DOUBLE, of what you are accustomed to. Think $3 gas is expensive where you are at? Well, it's around $6 a gallon where they are, and they need it for their outboard motors, or snowmachines, which they use to procure food. Shipping gets so very expensive when you have to airfreight everything in from several thousand miles away...
Now...if you happen to be out hunting for meat, and a trophy animal presents itself, then good for you....it's just an extra added blessing....that's a different scenario. I am talking in this thread about those ONLY interested in the "trophy", and NOTHING else...the deliberate culling of the very best animals...leaving the weaker stock to propagate the species...
I hunt myself about once or twice a year. A moose in the freezer will do incredible wonders on the winter food bill...(1000 +/- lbs of meat!) Didn't get one last year. Oh well!...

Bud

Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,649,419 times
I'm surprised that there is actually so much debate over whether trophy hunting is sinful or not. Trudging around the countryside with a rifle blasting innocent creatures is hardly a respectful way to treat our fellow inhabitants of mother earth. It displays a flagrant disregard for life and I fail to believe that Christianity, or any religion for that matter, would advocate that.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,884 times
I was absolutely heart broken to read about the man Raymond Goebal in Iowa who shot a couger out of the tree, it is a disgrace and emailed my views on this to the Iowa Dept of Natural Resources telling them that they should be disgusted that they allowed this man to shoot such a beautiful and endangered animal they should have said no to him and gone and collected the animal for relocation or put it into a sanctuary where it could live out its life in peace with others of its kind. What is wrong with these men. This Ray goebal did not shoot this cat for meat although he is trying to say he will eat its legs only to justify shooting it for its head. Does he think it is acceptable to take the life of a a mountion just to eat its legs. You should expose him, shame and name him and disgrace his name, he is the sort of person who gives a respectable hunter one who only hunts for meat and not taking more than they need nor taking something which is near extinction this man gives them a very bad name. I personally couldnt kill anything although controlled hunting a species that is in abundance is not so bad. But a cat for crying out loud is beyond beggers belief.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:42 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Living in Alaska, every fall I hear of dozens and dozens of "trophy" hunters coming up here to bag the biggest moose, the biggest bear, the biggest sheep, etc, etc. I'm not talking about the average John Q Citizen who harvests an animal to feed his family, but the guy who doesn't need the meat for anything....he just wants something to "brag" about back home....a trophy to hang in the den for his buddies to see. (Of course, if it is a bear it must be mounted by a taxidermist, standing upright, fangs wide open and claws outstretched...ready to tear you apart...even if it was taken while drinking quietly from a puddle...). I'm not anti-hunting....do it myself on occasion...but not for a "trophy". This thing kind of irks me.
What do ya'll think?

Bud
I am not a hunter and I really don't care for it but I don't see hunting in of itself being a sin in scriptures.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:42 PM

187 posts, read 314,910 times
Noooo...I have hunted plenty of trophies. They certainly don't put up much of a fight. It almost seems like a waste of good ammo.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:53 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
As a friend once said... everytime you kill a living thing, something inside of you gets bruised somehow. And either you understand that or you don't. (meaning some people feel the bruise...and others do not feel it yet right now... we're all on our own path.) "It's more blessed to grant continuation of life than it is to take it...and those who have learned this secret are among the most blessed on this earth." another quote by my friend. I like that. and I understand it. If you don't... y'know... that's ok.
We're all brothers and sisters learning different things in this world.

peace.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 PM

478 posts, read 773,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
I'm surprised that there is actually so much debate over whether trophy hunting is sinful or not. Trudging around the countryside with a rifle blasting innocent creatures is hardly a respectful way to treat our fellow inhabitants of mother earth. It displays a flagrant disregard for life and I fail to believe that Christianity, or any religion for that matter, would advocate that.

Agreed- and it has nothing to do with sin or religion, it's simply about being spiritually advanced enough to appreciate and respect the creatures that we share the earth with. And anyone with any degree of sense and compassion is likely to agree as well.

Hunting for food is perfectly fine so long as it's done humanely and with mind to the animal, ensuring as little suffering as possible- anyone who eats meat can't really argue that. But hunting simply to earn bragging rights is a sure sign of a disturbed character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity