Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:41 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What is it you do NOT understand about learning and growing in maturity? . . . NOT think we own . . . but actually OWN it as our internal standards. It is not about what God wants but what we are here for. There is no punishment and there is no hell to worry about . . . but we do reap what we sow. If it is based on an inner sense of right and wrong . . . that IS from the Holy Spirit (Comforter). It can be better because too many believers corrupt their understanding and actually ignore and override (rationalize away) their inner sense based on the "precepts and doctrines of men" . . . from indoctrination and their misunderstanding of scripture.
I thought that only believers could receive the "Comforter". Is this not true in your theology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I thought that only believers could receive the "Comforter". Is this not true in your theology?
Christ's death and rebirth as Spirit made His Holy Spirit available to ALL human consciousness. The difference is as I said before. If you do not believe or expect to have it available . . . it will not be as much use to you . . . many do not believe, many don't listen, and many just think it is their personal conscience.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Christ's death and rebirth as Spirit made His Holy Spirit available to ALL human consciousness. The difference is as I said before. If you do not believe or expect to have it available . . . it will not be as much use to you . . . many do not believe, many don't listen, and many just think it is their personal conscience.
Christ was never reborn as Spirit.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Jesus is the seed of woman. From the human race a man will rise up and smite the head of the serpent (Satan) and Satan will try to strike his heel. It's the first of many prophesies of the Messiah.

Then, we have the images of Noah and the Ark. We see the imagery of baptism, and man being saved from the waters. We see Melchizedek, the High Priest (Jesus is called a High preist in the order of Melchizedek), Abraham and Isaac as a "type" of God offering up his son for us, etc....etc....
::Sigh::

Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
::Sigh::
the feeling's mutual.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Christ was never reborn as Spirit.
Really? what does this mean then?

2 Corinthians 3:14-17

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16Nevertheless when it (the Heart) shall turn to the Lord,(Christ) the vail shall be taken away.
17Now the Lord (Christ) is that Spirit (Holy Spirit) : and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Being born of the Spirit is the destiny and fate of every human. Jesus was a human. He explained the process to Nicodemus . . . but the "precepts and doctrines of men" have twisted it into some simplistic notion of a magical transformation while still in a physical body. While in the body, we are merely "born of God" (gennao= conceived, begotten). Christ is the ONLY begotten of God and was the first fruits. We are heirs with Christ. We are to be reborn as Spirit upon our physical deaths . . . just like Christ. OF course for our ignorant ancient ancestors who were terrified of Spirits and ghosts and apparitions . . . this was a difficult "solid food" to try to feed them. The "milk" of a physical resurrection was a necessary first step.

John 3:5-8 (King James Version)

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 02-25-2013 at 12:08 AM..

Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Genesis 3:15 I will put enmity between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
They will strike at your head,
while you strike at their heel. (New American Bible)

Footnote:
[3:15] They will strike…at their heel: the antecedent for “they” and “their” is the collective noun “offspring,” i.e., all the descendants of the woman.

From the Hebrew Test of Genesis 3:15:
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; they shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise their heel.'

Genesis 3 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre

The reference is plural. Not the messiah but the Jewish people.

The actual terms are plueral. Some copyist changed the "their heel" to "his heel" making this seem to be a prophecy of a single messiah. But now we have accurate translations made from the oldest extant texts in the original language.

The Jews translate this passage accurately.
You are correct.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Jesus is the seed of woman. From the human race a man will rise up and smite the head of the serpent (Satan) and Satan will try to strike his heel. It's the first of many prophesies of the Messiah.

Then, we have the images of Noah and the Ark. We see the imagery of baptism, and man being saved from the waters. We see Melchizedek, the High Priest (Jesus is called a High preist in the order of Melchizedek), Abraham and Isaac as a "type" of God offering up his son for us, etc....etc....
Uh.... nope. You can't just read any old thing you want into the text.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Uh.... nope. You can't just read any old thing you want into the text.
You're right. I wouldn't dream of reading my thoughts into it. But that's not what I'm doing here.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:41 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Genesis 3:15 I will put enmity between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
They will strike at your head,
while you strike at their heel. (New American Bible)

Footnote:
[3:15] They will strike…at their heel: the antecedent for “they” and “their” is the collective noun “offspring,” i.e., all the descendants of the woman.

From the Hebrew Test of Genesis 3:15:
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; they shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise their heel.'

Genesis 3 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre

The reference is plural. Not the messiah but the Jewish people.

The actual terms are plueral. Some copyist changed the "their heel" to "his heel" making this seem to be a prophecy of a single messiah. But now we have accurate translations made from the oldest extant texts in the original language.

The Jews translate this passage accurately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You are correct.
No, he is not. The Mechon-Mamre Bible he is refering to has the following.

{o} .וְאֵיבָה אָשִׁית, בֵּינְךָ וּבֵין הָאִשָּׁה, וּבֵין זַרְעֲךָ, וּבֵין זַרְעָהּ: הוּא יְשׁוּפְךָ רֹאשׁ, וְאַתָּה תְּשׁוּפֶנּוּ עָקֵב

Which it translates as ...

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; they shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise their heel.' {S}

The word הוּא 'hu' means 'he'. Not they. הוּא ישׁופך ראשׁ means 'he shall bruse.' But for reasons of their own, the translators of the Mechon-Mamre Bible chose to translate הוּא as 'they.'

You can verify that the Hebrew word הוּא means 'he' at this site. >>> Learn the Hebrew Alphabet Refer to vocabulary word number 6.

As for the phrase 'shall bruse their heel' - תְּשׁוּפֶ֥נּוּ עָקֵֽב the Mechon-Mamre Bible translates עָקֵֽב as 'his heel' in Psalm 41:9 - Psalm 41:10 in that Bible translation.

The Mechon-Mamre Bible he provided translates עָקֵֽב as their heel in Genesis 3:15, but then translates it as 'his heel' in what is Psalm 41:10 in that translation.

Some translations translate עָקֵֽב as 'his heel' in Genesis 3:15 and some translate it as 'the heel'. Either way, it is a reference to the Messiah.

Genesis 3:15 is a Messianic prophecy.

I'm not pretending to know Hebrew, but the word הוּא does mean 'he' as can be verified in the site that I provided or by using an online English to Hebrew translator.

Last edited by Michael Way; 02-25-2013 at 03:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity