Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 AM

473 posts, read 821,617 times

Advertisements

There is only one place that I found the Apostles limited to just twelve.

Revelaion 21:14--And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve Apostles of the Lamb.

I wonder if the twelfth is Judas Iscariot, Matthias or Saul/Paul?

Yeshua Bless You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 AM

307 posts, read 284,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post

Revelaion 21:14--And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve Apostles of the Lamb.

Yeshua Bless You
Matthias. Those are the 12 for the twelve tribes. Paul is the Apostle to the Gentiles and not the same as the 12.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 AM

The twelve are the founding apostles for Christ's church. We have no writings from Matthias nor from Judas Iscariot. Paul has single handedly supplied a great deal of the New Testament. I believe that He was hand picked by God as one of the twelve founders.
Yeshua Bless You

Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,090 times
I'm not sure why it would matter... we have the bible.

and who says we don't have anything written by them?

Early Christian Writings: New Testament, Apocrypha, Gnostics, Church Fathers

Plenty of early Christian writings... not to be confused with Gods word.

You just have to be careful when you read that stuff because its not all legit.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 AM

It just dawned on me--your right it doesn't matter. The writing in Revelation just confirms that Jesus STARTED His church with twelve but there is no limit as to how many more could come after that.
Yeshua Bless You

Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:

Yeshua Bless You
After Judas' suicide, Matthias was chosen to take his place. Paul was later called as an apostle, as was Barnabas, and James (Jesus' brother) is also mentioned as being as apostle. Clearly, the organization of Christ's Church was intended to include the office of apostle. The original apostles realized this and each vacancy in the group was filled by a new individual.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:14 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
From a vision of the ministry of Jesse Duplantis who went to Heaven some 25 years ago for some 5 hours visit .....And said of his visit that heaven city had 12 foundation like the vision of Apostle John ....Jesse said that the first three names on the foundation were ; Peter, Paul, John , and the others followed ... Jessie wrote this vision and the account of His visit through Jesus , in His book called ` Close encounters of the God-kind `.....

Old 02-17-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
The twelve are the founding apostles for Christ's church. We have no writings from Matthias nor from Judas Iscariot. Paul has single handedly supplied a great deal of the New Testament. I believe that He was hand picked by God as one of the twelve founders.
Yeshua Bless You
Well show me the writings from Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Thaddaeus or Simon the Zealot?

Where is the scripture that's says one must provide writings to be an Apostle?

According to Peter the calling of Matthias is a fulfillment of scripture. Acts 1

Matthias is present on Pentecost because "Peter, standing up with the eleven" is what Acts 2:14 say's. That cannot be Paul there.

Peter say's to be one of the 12 one must "have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us. Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us." Acts 1:21-22 Paul cannot fill that requirement.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
After Judas' suicide, Matthias was chosen to take his place. Paul was later called as an apostle, as was Barnabas, and James (Jesus' brother) is also mentioned as being as apostle. Clearly, the organization of Christ's Church was intended to include the office of apostle. The original apostles realized this and each vacancy in the group was filled by a new individual.
Show me from the Bible where each Apostle was replaced. I cannot find that.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:20 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by July 8th View Post
Show me from the Bible where each Apostle was replaced. I cannot find that.
That statement verbatim? You won't find it. But you will find that, in addition to the initial twelve, the following individuals were referred to in the Bible as Apostles: Matthias, Paul, Barnabas, and James. Plus, the phrase "the twelve" was used frequently in referring to the Apostles as a group that functioned together in leading the Church. This seems to be problematic for you. Or am I wrong about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity