U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 8,805,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The penalties under the Mosaic Law were quite literal. With the coming of Jesus a change in dispensations was about to occur and the Mosiac Law would no longer be in effect. You have given your answer that you do not believe that God gave the command that those who speak evil of father or mother were to be put to death even though Jesus said that He did.
At the coming of Jesus, the law was most definitely still in effect. What you fail to realize is Jesus gave us a true understanding of, instead of your literal understanding of it that you experts( yea right)in the law burdened people down with that they can hardly carry( your veiled view of God and of His true nature), and you yourselves can't. You have heard it said, but I say unto.

How you,so learnt in the bible fail to see that what happened at the place where the woman caught in adultery, thrown at the feet of Jesus, that stoning someone to death was not the answer and never was, goes to show the reality of the scripture, you search diligently the scripture thinking in them that you have eternal life, but they are they which testify of me. In other words you know your bible but you do not know the one it testifies of. You standing there that day I am 100% certain knowing how you believe the bible,would have been there with rocks in your hand.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Status: " Attacks only in self defense is more than 1 person's right" (set 10 days ago)

9,360 posts, read 4,764,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
So Jesus said that adulterers are exempt, but wicked disrespectful children and homosexuals are not?

I wonder what other of the 600 some dictates contain points which should be questioned.
How are the adulterers exempt when Jesus said "Go now and leave your life of sin" ?

Could it be that is why God spoke the command in order for the adulterers, wicked disrespectful children and homosexuals etc to "leave your life of sin" because of what will happen to those who die that do not?

As it is said of Jesus
Psalm 118:22 The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone;

Mark 12:10
Haven’t you read this scripture:“ ‘The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone;' "

Acts 4:11 He is“ ‘the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.’ "

1 Peter 2:7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,“The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone,”

God did indeed spoke the command.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM

6,387 posts, read 2,604,227 times
Quote:
In Matthew 15:4 Jesus said in no uncertain terms, "For God said, 'HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER,' and, 'HE WHO SPEAKS EVIL OF FATHER OR MOTHER IS TO BE PUT TO DEATH.'

Jesus clearly said that God said that those who speak evil of father or mother were to be put to death (under the Mosaic Law).

Since Jesus said that God gave that command, did God in fact give that command? 'Yes' or 'No'.

Can you 'God is love' people accept that God gave that command? 'Yes' or 'No'.
Yes, God gave the law.

However, the law was also not perfect, for if it had been perfect, there would not have been need for a "New" Covenant.

Now, let's also keep in mind this important element:

Jesus mentioned that in the law given by God, was "an eye for an eye." BUT, he also said, "but I say unto you.."

This is why Christ was so radical! He changed the law.

And that's (I think) why pcamps mentioned the discourse about adultery. Jesus did things that were new and this got him killed.

Blessings bro,
brian

Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM

5,966 posts, read 2,781,417 times
Quote:
In Matthew 15:4 Jesus said in no uncertain terms, "For God said, 'HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER,' and, 'HE WHO SPEAKS EVIL OF FATHER OR MOTHER IS TO BE PUT TO DEATH.'

Jesus clearly said that God said that those who speak evil of father or mother were to be put to death (under the Mosaic Law).

Since Jesus said that God gave that command, did God in fact give that command? 'Yes' or 'No'.

Can you 'God is love' people accept that God gave that command? 'Yes' or 'No'.
I do believe God said 'Honor your father and mother' ( the command, that if obeyed, comes with a promise). I do not believe that God commanded that children be put to death. However, if you want to look at the spiritual implications of this, we can deduce that many Christians today do speak much evil of their Heavenly Father and because of that will only be saved by fire. We may not be 'under' the mosaic law, but we are still appointed unto death, ONCE.

The only law I accept as being from God in the OT are the TEN COMMANDMENTS. The rest of it is foolishness IMO and stuff made up by ignorant men. It is possible that a lot of things written were for things never meant to be taken literally but that could have deep spiritual applications. But anything written to suggest that men should behave like thugs - I do not believe came from God.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:22 AM

2,258 posts, read 804,147 times
The command was given to show how serious the sin of rebellion was. Unchecked such attitudes of the children lead to a complete break down of society. Eventually even under this age of Grace, if not embraced, souls whether they be children of age accountability or adults, will die/without God for all eternity. The Old Testament was a lesson in final judgements against the carnal man but even in the New Testament it is written, HEB 10:28-31 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose you, shall he be thought worthy, who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and has counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and has done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know Him that has said, Vengeance belongs to Me, I will recompense, says the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge His people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Now here is a judgement that the Lord Himself pronounced by the Prophet against certain children, even though called little, yet they were of the age of accountability and acted like the gangs that we hear of on the nightly news.
2KINGS 2:22-24 "So the waters were healed unto this day, according to the saying of Elisha which he spake. And he went up from there unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, you bald head; go up, you bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tore forty two children of them." At lest 42 amounts to a gang of hoodlums hanging together for no good purposes.

One may wish to whitewash this story but God makes no apology for including it in His Word for all the world to see and fear. Mocking the servant of God was only a symptom of the true charactor of those children. You can imagine the rest as the Word leaves us to do.

The true value of life is not whether you are merely alive physicaly but rather if you have eternal life of the love for God and love for your neighbor/parents. It is written that those who live in sin are dead while they live. How will you die? In sin? Or have Christ take sin away so that you might live in eternal life.

Last edited by garya123; 02-19-2013 at 11:35 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
How are the adulterers exempt when Jesus said "Go now and leave your life of sin" ?

Could it be that is why God spoke the command in order for the adulterers, wicked disrespectful children and homosexuals etc to "leave your life of sin" because of what will happen to those who die that do not?

As it is said of Jesus
Psalm 118:22 The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone;

Mark 12:10
Haven’t you read this scripture:“ ‘The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone;' "

Acts 4:11 He is“ ‘the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.’ "

1 Peter 2:7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,“The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone,”

God did indeed spoke the command.
It was because she was not condemned and stoned to death she was able to sin no more. If you die hard fundamentalists understood and realized that condemnation keeps you IN sin, (yes the condemnation you lot pour out on sinners).All condemnation does is keep you in sin. Thanks be to God,Jesus Christ set her free from her condemnation so she was free to sin no more. Romans 7:24

Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM

5,966 posts, read 2,781,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It was because she was not condemned and stoned to death she was able to sin no more. If you die hard fundamentalists understood and realized that condemnation keeps you IN sin, (yes the condemnation you lot pour out on sinners).All condemnation does is keep you in sin. Thanks be to God,Jesus Christ set her free from her condemnation so she was free to sin no more. Romans 7:24
What about the man. Why didn't they want to stone the man to death. I wish someone would answer me that - why men are not condemned for sexual sins because God knows they are more guilty (IMO) of sexual sin than women and I say that because of all the rape in the world.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 AM

12,506 posts, read 6,296,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
At the coming of Jesus, the law was most definitely still in effect. What you fail to realize is Jesus gave us a true understanding of, instead of your literal understanding of it that you experts( yea right)in the law burdened people down with that they can hardly carry( your veiled view of God and of His true nature), and you yourselves can't. You have heard it said, but I say unto.

How you,so learnt in the bible fail to see that what happened at the place where the woman caught in adultery, thrown at the feet of Jesus, that stoning someone to death was not the answer and never was, goes to show the reality of the scripture, you search diligently the scripture thinking in them that you have eternal life, but they are they which testify of me. In other words you know your bible but you do not know the one it testifies of. You standing there that day I am 100% certain knowing how you believe the bible,would have been there with rocks in your hand.
Did God give the command that those who speak evil of father or mother be put to death as Jesus said He did? 'Yes' or 'no'. I want to find out if you people who think that the Old Testament misrepresents God can face up to the fact that Jesus said that God imposed the death penalty on those who did so.

Your assumptions about what I would have done are irrelevent. Simply answer the question.

Oh, okay, this is Pcamps again. I thought it was someone else.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
What about the man. Why didn't they want to stone the man to death. I wish someone would answer me that - why men are not condemned for sexual sins because God knows they are more guilty (IMO) of sexual sin than women and I say that because of all the rape in the world.
Well the law says he needed stoning too. All I know is this, if I being evil will never give up on my kids( even if they cursed me to my face), how much more our Heavenly Father .

Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Did God give the command that those who speak evil of father or mother be put to death as Jesus said He did? 'Yes' or 'no'. I want to find out if you people who think that the Old Testament misrepresents God can face up to the fact that Jesus said that God imposed the death penalty on those who did so.

Your assumptions about what I would have done are irrelevent. Simply answer the question.
Who do you think you are demanding to be answered when you don't answer questions yourself. It's your pre conceived ideas of scripture that misrepresent God. Like I said if you think it was right and just back then to stone children who speak evil of their parents, you do today too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity