Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wrong. I do not have my own God . . . I have CHRIST'S God . . . you do NOT. You have your Bible as God. That is idolatry. Christ abides with us and His Holy Spirit (Comforter) is within our consciousness to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts." You do NOT seem to believe that because you rely on words "written in ink" and interpreted with the "precepts and doctrines of men" into dogma. Jesus commanded us to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. I follow Christ's commands and HIS revelations of God . . . NOT our ignorant ancestors' superstitions about God. How can you call yourself Christian and reject what Christ has revealed about the true nature of God?
I'm sure the understanding of Christ in you for many means the bible in you. The 2 major points of the ministry of Jesus Christ,the Kingdom of God within and loving our neighbor as ourselves this fulfilling the law,are continually challenged on this forum. I wonder why ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM

307 posts, read 284,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wrong. There is only ONE God. I do not have my own God . . . I have CHRIST'S God . . . you do NOT. You have your Bible as God. That is idolatry. Christ abides with us and His Holy Spirit (Comforter) is within our consciousness to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts." You do NOT seem to believe that because you rely on words "written in ink" and interpreted with the "precepts and doctrines of men" into dogma. Jesus commanded us to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. I follow Christ's commands and HIS revelations of God . . . NOT our ignorant ancestors' superstitions about God. How can you call yourself Christian and reject what Christ has revealed about the true nature of God?
I don't reject anything from God. Only you do that! I serve Jesus Christ the Son of God. The same God Jesus Christ served and confirmed while on Earth. You have taken what you want from the bible and created a different god for yourself. You do not accept the God that Jesus did. Sorry if you fail to see that simple truth. But since our (Jesus and Me) God is love, He is long-suffering and you still have time to learn of Him. Stop hating Him and His children and come to Jesus. The burden is light!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM

307 posts, read 284,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If one believes the law given to Moses for the Jews is the Old Covenant (Old Testament) but believes we are no longer under law but under grace, they are a Dispensationalist or better yet an Administrationalist. I consider myself one who believes in different administrations.
This is very true. I use the word Dispensation because it is in the bible but I realize that other words could have been used. Actually "economy" I think would be the best word to use.

Most often for those who claim they do not believe in it I ask if they believe they are still living in the Garden. It's that simple. If we are not then this must be a different dispensation than that of the Garden.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,958,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by July 8th View Post
This is very true. I use the word Dispensation because it is in the bible but I realize that other words could have been used. Actually "economy" I think would be the best word to use.

Most often for those who claim they do not believe in it I ask if they believe they are still living in the Garden. It's that simple. If we are not then this must be a different dispensation than that of the Garden.
So true July 8th.
I wonder how many here have plucked out their eye or cut off their hand as Christ required His listeners to do so they could make it into the kingdom even if it meant entering into the kingdom with only one eye and one hand. Jesus taught requirements to His listeners. One had to sell all to be His disciple. How many here have sold all? Jesus also told them to give to him that asks not questioning the asker. I want everyone who follows Jesus' teaching to a 'T' to give me all the money in their savings accounts, their homes and their cars. Let's just see if they really believe they are subject to that dispensation/economy/administration.

Paul never taught requirements to being saved except it be that Christ died for our sins and that we are saved by grace, NOT by anything we do. So there is a different dispensation/economy/administration from Christ to Paul. Christ was sent ONLY to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Paul was chosen by God and Christ to be the Apostle for the nations with a totally different message than that of Christ.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM

18 posts, read 14,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I wonder how many here have plucked out their eye or cut off their hand as Christ required His listeners to do so they could make it into the kingdom even if it meant entering into the kingdom with only one eye and one hand. Jesus taught requirements to His listeners. One had to sell all to be His disciple. How many here have sold all? Jesus also told them to give to him that asks not questioning the asker. I want everyone who follows Jesus' teaching to a 'T' to give me all the money in their savings accounts, their homes and their cars. Let's just see if they really believe they are subject to that dispensation/economy/administration.

Paul never taught requirements to being saved except it be that Christ died for our sins and that we are saved by grace, NOT by anything we do. So there is a different dispensation/economy/administration from Christ to Paul. Christ was sent ONLY to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Paul was chosen by God and Christ to be the Apostle for the nations with a totally different message than that of Christ.
Well said..........

I find that in my writings I make an extra effort to identify Christ as the Hebrew Messiah, the Redeemer of His Chosen Ones, returning them to Judaism, and to identify Jesus as Jesus, the Savior of all who confess Him as such. I'm actually changing Christ to Jesus in the writings of the Apostle Paul, just to maintain clarity with regard to the message for Israel and the message for everyone who is saved by grace through faith.

Last edited by Damascus Road; 02-22-2013 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Sentence structure

Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by July 8th View Post
I don't reject anything from God. Only you do that! I serve Jesus Christ the Son of God. The same God Jesus Christ served and confirmed while on Earth. You have taken what you want from the bible and created a different god for yourself. You do not accept the God that Jesus did. Sorry if you fail to see that simple truth. But since our (Jesus and Me) God is love, He is long-suffering and you still have time to learn of Him. Stop hating Him and His children and come to Jesus. The burden is light!
There is no way on earth using ANY kind of logic, reason or rationalization that the God Jesus revealed to us by His life and teachings can EVER be reconciled with what our ignorant ancestors believed about their savage war God as described in the OT. It can NOT be done. You do NOT believe in the same God that Jesus did, July . . . sorry . . . you are just fooling yourself and others.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 PM

18 posts, read 14,057 times
I believe (I am totally convinced) that logic, reason or rationalization will never interpret God's Word!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus Road View Post
I believe (I am totally convinced) that logic, reason or rationalization will never interpret God's Word!
I am convinced the same about reading the bible literally.
When they went across the lake, the disciples forgot to take bread.Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”

They discussed this among themselves and said, “It is because we didn’t bring any bread Matt 16:5-7

Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 AM

281 posts, read 306,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I am convinced the same about reading the bible literally.
When they went across the lake, the disciples forgot to take bread.Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”

They discussed this among themselves and said, “It is because we didn’t bring any bread Matt 16:5-7
Well, with that kind of logic, nothing in God's word, which is the logical conveyance of thought, can be trusted to mean anything, which brings about chaos. God is not the author of chaos, He wants us to have knowledge, which is why He created us with logic, so that we can reason things out and understand. Take any rational thought out of the interpretation of scripture and you left without knowledge. Yeah, they disciples at the time were a bit ignorant at thinking Jesus was talking about literal bread, bad on them for not thinking clearly and being able to understand.

But in your defense, I also do not believe that everything should be taken literally, that's just as silly as not taking anything literally. There are obvious use of symbology/symbolism, metaphors, allegory, typology and various other kinds of language. But that does not exclude the literal interpretation of things. One would say that the locusts of Revelation are not really locusts, they can't be because of they way they are described, but I would argue that while they are not really locust, what is said of whence the come and what they will do to man is quite literal. While Daniel's statue does not literally describe kingdoms made of gold, silver bronze, iron or clay, they are symbolic of literal kingdoms.

The Bible is not illogical, that is, it's without any kind of rational understanding. Quite the contrary, there has to be some kind of logic otherwise passage can mean anything to anyone. What kind of chaotic understanding do we think God wants of what He has given to us?

Tear down this temple and in three days I will raise it up. Jesus said that. Are we going to argue that there is no literal understanding to what he said? Yes, Jesus used the symbol of the Temple to describe his body, and the image of man tearing it down (which did literally happen) to symbolize his death. He also used the image of building it up again to foretell of his resurrection from the dead. So we see that there is a literal understanding to the symbolic statement. Anyone that denies either is simply daft!

Yup, even the disciples had a hard time understanding that Jesus often used imagery of one then in application of something else, as in his statement about the leaven of the Pharisees. Holding to a rigid, unbending, literal interpretation of everything in scripture is just as wrong as going to the other extreme of denying any literal interpretation the scriptures. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Blessings in Christ,

Matthew

Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 AM

I have no problem using logic and reason, I do have a problem when someone says something like Damascus rd posted who reads scripture literally, when scripture itself teaches that the thins of God including scripture are spiritually discerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity