Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

WARSAW, Poland - A photo of a bonfire taken by a Polish construction worker is creating a stir for the resemblance of the flames to a silhouette of the country's beloved son, the late Pope John Paul II.

Image in fire said to resemble late pope - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 10:34 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,201 times
It's cute....but somehow I don't think there's a chance that the late JP II would be anywhere near flames...lol...

Old 10-22-2007, 10:37 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
This may seem off topic to begin with, but I want to assure you that it is not. I'm hoping that June knows what I am talking about when I draw this parallel, perhaps she can actually tell me what it is called, I forget the clinical name for it.

I recently saw a show on one of the learning channels called "The Real Rainman". It's a documentary of the man in which the movie "Rainman" was based on. Many scientists were very interested in how his brain worked (he remembers 98% of everything he reads) and what they found was that where an average human can relegate certain things down to an association with something he can not distinguish between the two. In other words, they gave him a test to see how he would respond. I will attempt to try the same thing, I think this shows how the average mind can perceive certain things that relate to them in real life. Here we go. And try to be as honest as you can.

Chocolate

Cake

Coca-Cola

Tasty

Pie

Sour

Icing

Ice Cream

Halloween

Apple Turnover

Sugar

Now, don't peek, but was candy on the list?

If you said yes than don't worry but you were wrong. What the typical human does is perceive that because of the list of words associated above that candy would more than likely have been on that list. In the show, the "real Rainman" was given a very similar list and asked if a word associated with those were on the list. His answer was no!

If you're reading this from the bottom scroll up very fast to the top of the page!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
Give me a break. Some people sure are desperate.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:57 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Sooo.Lets all go to E-Bay and bid on the picture..Betcha he makes a bundle on it

Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
This may seem off topic to begin with, but I want to assure you that it is not. I'm hoping that June knows what I am talking about when I draw this parallel, perhaps she can actually tell me what it is called, I forget the clinical name for it.

I recently saw a show on one of the learning channels called "The Real Rainman". It's a documentary of the man in which the movie "Rainman" was based on. Many scientists were very interested in how his brain worked (he remembers 98% of everything he reads) and what they found was that where an average human can relegate certain things down to an association with something he can not distinguish between the two. In other words, they gave him a test to see how he would respond. I will attempt to try the same thing, I think this shows how the average mind can perceive certain things that relate to them in real life. Here we go. And try to be as honest as you can.

Chocolate

Cake

Coca-Cola

Tasty

Pie

Sour

Icing

Ice Cream

Halloween

Apple Turnover

Sugar

Now, don't peek, but was candy on the list?

If you said yes than don't worry but you were wrong. What the typical human does is perceive that because of the list of words associated above that candy would more than likely have been on that list. In the show, the "real Rainman" was given a very similar list and asked if a word associated with those were on the list. His answer was no!

If you're reading this from the bottom scroll up very fast to the top of the page!
i thought chocolate was candy?

Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
The photographer in that picture put a word association into the minds of many.. The word was "Pope"..Therefore, when people look at the image, they will look for the pope. If the picture was put out and asked for opinions as to what they say, I imagine most people would say "fire" Some will gaze and ponder for a few minutes and say "angel" some may say "ghost" Kind of reminds me of the inkblot test

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-23-2007 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-23-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
i thought chocolate was candy?
No, that's where the semantical part of your brain took place. What I was getting at is your average human being takes a word association, such as what you did, and equates that (chocolate) to candy. People who lack this part of their brain can not draw this distinction. That was the point I was getting at. You associated chocolate with candy just as when the photographer says pope you see it in the flame.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:04 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
No, that's where the semantical part of your brain took place. What I was getting at is your average human being takes a word association, such as what you did, and equates that (chocolate) to candy. People who lack this part of their brain can not draw this distinction. That was the point I was getting at. You associated chocolate with candy just as when the photographer says pope you see it in the flame.
okay..so chocolates not candy...wow i can eat lots of hershey bars then!!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
okay..so chocolates not candy...wow i can eat lots of hershey bars then!!
I wish June would chime in and help me out!

What's different is that to you, because of the way your frontal lobes (if I'm not mistaken it's the part of your brain that uses deductive reasoning and common sense) are designed, you understand what chocolate is. You draw the conclusion that because it has sugar, it tastes sweet, and is sometimes labeled as candy, that it is in fact candy. When, in fact, it is not always candy. There is baking chocolate, there are coca beans, etc... that you would not consider candy. This is just an assumption you have made (using your frontal lobes) that because I said "chocolate" you thought "candy". You are actually drawing the same conclusion as many that look into that flame after seeing the pope. You see, and read, pope and you automatically see the funny looking hat, the robe, and in the particular picture shown, his hand reaching out. Then, you look at the flame, and because it shares a certain resemblance you assume that that is of course what the photographer meant to do.

Oh, and watch out, science alert! Did you know that in most teenagers, during puberty, the pre-frontal cortex is typically smaller resulting in more irrational decision making skills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity