Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times

Advertisements

Last night had dinner with friends. The topic of conversation turned to God, Jesus and stuff like that. The male half of the couple (will call him Bill) said he believed that Jesus was a good man and noted that the account of Him in the Bible was true.

Bill continued on by saying that he (Bill) was a good man and felt that God would let him into heaven. Sure he was not perfect and admitted to doing a sin or two every day (Ha! don't we all).

So when presented with the concept that thru Jesus all is forgiven and we have the guarentee of heaven, Bill said no thanks. Bill felt he was good enough and had no need to accept the gift that comes thru Jesus. I found it puzzing that one would reject a free ticket to Heaven and instead take the risk of not making it.

I understand that many want to earn their salvation, but still...

Why say no thanks to Jesus in the light of what is written in the NT??? Why take the risk???

Bill is a good fellow and feels he is OK with God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Sadly, many STILL wants to believe ALL good goes to Heaven, which is a FALSE teaching. And that all one has to do is besides be “good” ,or do good by others. True we have to do good by others, we even have to love them, Jesus said this was one of the greatest commandments ,( Matt.[SIZE=3]22:39). Sadly MANY don’t seem to follow what Jesus say concerning his Father, which was the “GREATEST commandment ,(Matt.22:37,38 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment).[/SIZE] They act as though Jesus is referring to himself. When he would NEVER call himself “GOD”. Because he would NEVER try to take his Father’s glory ,(Philip. 2:5,6 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus. Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God).

ONLY a few will go to Heaven ,([SIZE=3][/SIZE]Rev. 14:1-4), and Rev. 7:4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel). And they will ONLY go if they try hard to do Jesus FATHER’S WILL ,(Matt. 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven). So again, as I’ve said many times, NO ONE has a first class ticket to Heaven. Unless they truly try to follow Jesus ,(Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me).

They’re NOT doing what the rest of the world does ,(James 4:4 ,1John 2:15,16). They’re NOT hanging with those who REFUSE so serve Jesus Father ,(Jehovah God ,Exo.6:3), and follow Jesus ,(2Cor. 6:14, 1Cor. 15:33 ,Exo. 23:1,2), Which MOST who believe are doing. Because Jesus show his true followers ISN’T of the world just as he wasn’t , (John 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world). and MOST IMPORTANTLY, something MANY seem to NOT WANT TO DO, get to know Jesus Father, as they feel they know him,(Jesus). Because this will also give one life ,(John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent). The most many will say that believe Jesus HAS a Father, is that there is a God.

Yet those same don’t even acknowledge this “God”, is VERY real, he’s NOT Jesus! and we HAVE TO PRAY TO HIM, instead of praying to Jesus. As many are taught to do, which is wrong, considering Jesus taught differently ,(Matt. 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name). MANY won’t even recognize he has a name that must be known. Jesus made his Father’s name know ,(John 17:6-8). All these things above ALSO applies those the rest of those , the “great crowd, which has NO NUMBER ,([SIZE=3]Rev. 7:9), who will live on a renewed earth ,([/SIZE]Psa. 37:9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth. And verse 11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace). Because despite what many are taught to believe. The literal earth WON’T be destroyed, (Eccle. 1:4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever). peace

Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Like most people, their own ego will prevent them from entering heaven. They will not admit that they have done evil. They will not admit they deserve eternal damnation. They are righteous in their own sight, they don't want to bow the knee and give credit, thanksgiving and praise to anyone. They don't want to ask for forgiveness.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 AM

588 posts, read 956,854 times
Sadly, I know tons of people who think that through good works alone, they will get into heaven.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
maybe, just maybe, God has not given bill the gift of faith.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,378,624 times
You could always use the "Way of the Master" technique or a less flawed variation of it (Certain claims made following the script I find somewhat questionable). Just don't make any "Growing Pains" references and you'll be fine (bonus points if you actually get that joke)

Last edited by Jrhockney; 02-26-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Last night had dinner with friends. The topic of conversation turned to God, Jesus and stuff like that. The male half of the couple (will call him Bill) said he believed that Jesus was a good man and noted that the account of Him in the Bible was true.

Bill continued on by saying that he (Bill) was a good man and felt that God would let him into heaven. Sure he was not perfect and admitted to doing a sin or two every day (Ha! don't we all).

So when presented with the concept that thru Jesus all is forgiven and we have the guarentee of heaven, Bill said no thanks. Bill felt he was good enough and had no need to accept the gift that comes thru Jesus. I found it puzzing that one would reject a free ticket to Heaven and instead take the risk of not making it.

Why say no thanks to Jesus in the light of what is written in the NT??? Why take the risk???

As I see it, you're trying to correct error with error. Bill wants to believe he doesn't need forgiveness (error), and you're trying to convince Bill that God only forgives him if he believes certain things about Jesus (error).

We need forgiveness and God gives it, no strings attached. But we need to have true awareness of both in order to experience the full impact and healing of it in our lives.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
I believe that Bill has a demon of strife which If Christians pray for Bill then God would remove the demon of strife which is in control of Bill`s will ..... But when God remove the demon then Bill would need a witness of Christ through the deliverance so logic of unbelief could be resisted .....Or another demon of strife would come right back to Bill and make it comfortable to reject any commitment of Jesus

Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
You shared the gospel. Good for you. Now pray that God will show Bill why he needs a savior.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:

It's the difference between 'reward' and 'charity'. If I were Christian, I'd prefer to be admitted for overcoming my flaws, instead of just being let in because God felt sorry for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity