U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:17 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,491,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Well, in some instances the "ten commandments" were expanded on... for example, we shouldn't bow down to a literal idol, but that has to do with our worship.. we still shouldn't bow down to anything but God.. our work, our family, peer pressure, the almighty dollar, etc. The old law wasn't abolished, but fulfilled. Big difference.
Thanks cg1...
For your patience; there's a lot for me to learn here, and you have a way of
putting your thoughts in words so gentle.
I feel the Holy Spirit within your persona
God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 05:18 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,777,528 times
Legalism to me is only obeying the letter of the law and not looking into the situation:
Like amputating a leg from a patient while he came in for heart surgery.
Although the amputation was a 100% successful and completely by the book, it was not applied on the right patient.

It is the same with the law and justice.
Although you may have the law on your side (being lawful), it doesn't mean that you are right (are being just).
- Stealing is wrong, but if a person tried everything else but still can't get enough money to buy food I'd turn a blind eye if he stole some.
- During WWII the Dutch people were required by law to report all the Jews to the Nazis. Although they broke the law some people did not report Jews and gave them shelter anyway.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:20 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,255,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
So does this mean that we don't have to keep the ten commandments anymore;
And those who are concerned with them being taken out of our schools are Legalistic?
Just asking you to help me understand..
I love you guys!!!
Absolutely not.

I do not see the connection with those trying to remove them from the schools with this topic. You will have to elaborate on that aspect.

If you look at my attempt to define my concept of it and the definition offered by WCRob, one is an attempt to redefine things by playing with words and the other is a methodology of substituting procedure for God.

It is theoretically possible to follow the strict letter of the rules and never understand the game being played. While the perfect adherence of those rule might permit you to accomplish many of the goals of the game, how can you ever master the game itself? Many of us follow the rules of our church and never comprehend why those rules exist. Others see these rules as the religion itself and never see beyond those rules to their source.

It is probably that a great many traditional Jewish scholars have spent their entire lives trying to comprehend the law and not thinking why the law was established. Other than a means to an end, what was it's purpose. There is a reason for law beyond the law itself and a failure to see that is one definition of legalism. The modern Christian's propensity to rely on Christ's salvation rather than to learn and follow God's will is another type of legalism where we forsake the law and trust the dogma without understanding the intent.

A proper approach is a bit of both, in my opinion at least.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
This was mentioned recently on another thread, and I thought we might could talk about it specifically. What in your mind defines "legalism?" I guess the kaykay definition would go something like this --"legalism is striving to obey the letter of the law rather than the spirit or intent of the law." Does that make sense? I'm just kinda thinking out loud this afternoon. When does attempting to be righteous fall into "legalism?" Thoughts???
kaykay is this "Legalism theology? you're asking about?
Wikipedia.com has this
Legalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-24-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Absolutely not.

I do not see the connection with those trying to remove them from the schools with this topic. You will have to elaborate on that aspect.

If you look at my attempt to define my concept of it and the definition offered by WCRob, one is an attempt to redefine things by playing with words and the other is a methodology of substituting procedure for God.

It is theoretically possible to follow the strict letter of the rules and never understand the game being played. While the perfect adherence of those rule might permit you to accomplish many of the goals of the game, how can you ever master the game itself? Many of us follow the rules of our church and never comprehend why those rules exist. Others see these rules as the religion itself and never see beyond those rules to their source.

It is probably that a great many traditional Jewish scholars have spent their entire lives trying to comprehend the law and not thinking why the law was established. Other than a means to an end, what was it's purpose. There is a reason for law beyond the law itself and a failure to see that is one definition of legalism. The modern Christian's propensity to rely on Christ's salvation rather than to learn and follow God's will is another type of legalism where we forsake the law and trust the dogma without understanding the intent.

A proper approach is a bit of both, in my opinion at least.
So I'm safe to say since I'm born again and have accepted Christ into my heart, after confessing and repenting of my sins, and believe in the atonement (blood of Jesus) and that He sent a Comforter which is the Holy Spirit then I'm on the right track ?

Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
So I'm safe to say since I'm born again and have accepted Christ into my heart, after confessing and repenting of my sins, and believe in the atonement (blood of Jesus) and that He sent a Comforter which is the Holy Spirit then I'm on the right track ?
Oh I read that Legalism (theology) is pride, and believing the letter of the law over the Holy Spirit; I don't agree with doing this;
My pastor hates Legalism too. Now I can see some of the reasons why; after reading the definitions;

Old 10-24-2007, 05:41 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,989,697 times
I think to basically sum it up, legalism is when you embrace and/or promote a specific set of rules or actions in an attempt to seek justification. I may have to explain that more later. Gotta go for now.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 PM

174 posts, read 450,693 times
The intent of the law was never to save man. It was given as a revelation of the pre-existing law of God. Paul tells us that sin exists solely by the presence of the law. Any transgression of God's law demands adjudication. The penalty is death. Any attempts to be justified by the law are futile, no man has lived his life without a single transgression, save for one.

The problem of legalism is that it places conditions upon the saint for justification that God Himself does not require. Examples of this are given of the Pharisaical laws that encumbered the people in Christ's day. That isn't to say we are to do away with the law, as it gives us knowledge of the Mind of God. It isn't to say we can willfully transgress His law. We have been given freedom in His grace, but we must be mindful of sinning against Him.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:58 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,447,627 times
I would define legalism as adding anything to Scripture that isn't already there—e.g. extra rules, traditions, prohibitions, etc.

Such things only stand in the way of a genuine relationship with God.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:44 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,440,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
This was mentioned recently on another thread, and I thought we might could talk about it specifically. What in your mind defines "legalism?" I guess the kaykay definition would go something like this --"legalism is striving to obey the letter of the law rather than the spirit or intent of the law." Does that make sense? I'm just kinda thinking out loud this afternoon. When does attempting to be righteous fall into "legalism?" Thoughts???
I'll agree with you on that one. Look at all the posts we have that start out..... "Is it a sin to _______?" (you fill in the blank) Or "Can you be a Christian and ________?" It's worry, worry, worry!

Dot every 'I' and cross every 'T', it's gagging at a gnat and swallowing a camel. They forget the goal and make the road unpleasant to travel. Christianity can be a good, enjoyable way to live. Legalism can make it an ordeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or