Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Hi Sizzly Friddle Interesting screen name but back to the case at hand. I don't want to start another debate on US vs ET but all people will be ressurected for judgement it is not a choice we make God has already decided to do it. Also about Justice, our idea and God's idea are a lot differant. We want people to " pay for their crimes" while God's idea of justice is for people to "reap what they have sown" so that they learn and repent. God is creating us in his image, not an option it is God's desire and He will fulfill all his desires.
I'm sorry, but that just sounds creepy. What does he even need us for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
I'm going to do some what ifs. What if you could return to childhood, or the ways of a child? What if all innocence could be restored? What if you were completely taken care of, nothing could harm you, you could explore anything and everything with no fear, no death and no pain? Not a care in the world. What if you were given wings and freedom with innocence? Would you want that? What if God let you know that He exists and this is what He offered--would you want it? Would you be a child again? Just curious.

Yeshua Bless You
Sheila Renae is such a pretty name. Your vision of heaven sounds very nice.

But I don't live in a land of "what if". I live in a land of "what is".
I really don't think I would like to be a child again. I was a shy unhappy kid, and I like myself much better the way I am now.

If God would like to let me know he exists, I am certainly open to the possibility.
I think since I was never a believer, it is extremely unlikely that I would have the ability to believe in something without evidence.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
NO one who lived before Jesus will go to heaven [John 3 v 13 ] because the way to heavenly life was Not offered before Christ. No one mentioned at Hebrews chapter 11 went to heaven. They did Not see the promise [ Heb. 11 vs 13,39 ]
meaning the promise of being resurrected back to life Not in Heaven, Not in Hell, but back to life on Earth. Life on a paradisaic Earth during Jesus 1000-year reign over Earth.- Psalm 72 vs 8, 12-14.; 2nd Peter 3 v 13.

Galatians 3:18
For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.
Galatians 3:29
If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Hebrews 11:39-40

39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, 40 since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Read Hebrews chapter 11, all these are saved by faith. The promise given to Abraham is just as binding. Faith in Christ before He came and faith in Christ after He came. Why were the Israelites not saved????
Romans 4:20Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God,
Romans 9:30
[ Israel’s Unbelief ] What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith;
Romans 11:20
Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble.
Romans 11:23
And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

God Bless,
Mercy
Can you put this in your own words?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
There is no such thing as purgatory.
Says you.

The concept of purgatory was preached by the Pharisees starting 200-300 BC. The Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man is none other than a lesson in aionios kolsin. Unless of course you are one of those who believes that one of the perks of paradise is leaning over that balcony that overlooks hell, and being able to spit on the poor damned souls begging for water......

I note that you do not answer the question. Is God incapable of designing age long correction tailored for each of us? Not asking if you believe it, just asking if it was possible for him to accomplish it.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Thanks for your honesty and willingness to dialog.

Just a thought based on the root of the OP question:

If I don't want to abide by the law of gravity, what should I do?

In other words, living forever really isn't an option. It's a fact. The only question is where are you going to live forever.

I would challenge you on your asserted lack of sin, but that's another conversation.
Gravity is experienced identically for everyone.
God is not.
The two are not comparable.

I do not consider living forever to be an option at all.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
No one has any real frame-of-reference for 'eternity.' But, I've sometimes asked the question (sermons, missions, etc), "Who would like to live another 200-500 years if they could?" You know what? ... Given the world and life frame-of-reference we have, everyone seems to agree with you! -- Nobody wants to live this crazy life or in this 'broken' world for that long. Fortunately, we are only here temporarily ... as this world is not our home.

The thing missing from your frame-of-reference is the life-changing transformation that happens when one truly enters into a relationship with God through Jesus Christ and is 'reborn' in God's indwelling Holy Spirit. Of course, this probably sounds like 'religious foolishness' to you; --- but, to those who are saved, it is the power of God. Why do you think that Christians over the ages have been (and still are) willing to die for their faith? (It's certainly not because they have 'bought-into' religious mumbo-jumbo). They know in their heart-of-hearts that, the 'abundant life' they are living now, will only get a thousand times better ... when they put-off the corrupt flesh, pain and problems (and even joys) of this world --- and enter into eternity without those things.

You have chosen 'NOT' to believe something; ... to deny something that is made evident to all by their own inborn knowledge of God. That's sad, because, claims that this world and life satisfy the inner longing of the human heart ... are always hollow and empty. You were not created to find true peace and joy apart from God. However, you have the freedom to choose to 'settle' for what you have now; ... to reject and refuse God ... and to receive what you have chosen --for all eternity: an existence or form of life, eternally separated from God. OR, you choose can come out of your self-imposed darkness (religion or non-religion only) and enter into an endless light in relationship with the living God. God will not force you to do either, or change the choice you make.
I do not consider religious people to be foolish. Their beliefs are very real to them, and bring them meaning in their lives.

I have not chosen to not believe in God. I wasn't raised with it. Is your belief in God a choice? Could you choose to not believe?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yes, if your dogs are your "fur kids" - you truly love them, they can count as your children

Okay, since you are happily married and have "kids" you love, wouldn't you like to NEVER have to say goodbye to your family?

To know that in God's kingdom they and you will never know pain, physical, mental or emotional - never grow old, never suffer in any way? But in fact will live a life of such joy, peace and happiness that words really can't do the experience true justice?

Wouldn't you like to be with those you deeply love forever in that way?

I mean, if you REALLY don't mind putting your husband in a casket one day and choosing to say goodbye forever, that's your choice and fine with me.

I just know I sure couldn't/wouldn't do it to my beloved husband. A final goodbye like that would never be my choice.

This is just one reason among several that I want to live with God in his kingdom forever!
Which beloved husband would I be with? My current beloved or my late beloved? Or neither since they aren't Christians? If neither does that mean they will be erased from my memory? Will they just cease to have existed?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Sizzly Friddle, I love your questions! These are all things I've pondered as well.
Wish I had more time at the moment to post my perspective.
Be back later on.
peace,
sparrow

Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 PM

Arguing about purgatory, ET and UR are really off topic.
The question is-
If I don't want to live forever, what does Christianity have to offer me?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777
NO one who lived before Jesus will go to heaven [John 3 v 13 ] because the way to heavenly life was Not offered before Christ. No one mentioned at Hebrews chapter 11 went to heaven. They did Not see the promise [ Heb. 11 vs 13,39 ]
meaning the promise of being resurrected back to life Not in Heaven, Not in Hell, but back to life on Earth. Life on a paradisaic Earth during Jesus 1000-year reign over Earth.- Psalm 72 vs 8, 12-14.; 2nd Peter 3 v 13.

Galatians 3:18
For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.
Galatians 3:29
If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Hebrews 11:39-40

39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, 40 since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Read Hebrews chapter 11, all these are saved by faith. The promise given to Abraham is just as binding. Faith in Christ before He came and faith in Christ after He came. Why were the Israelites not saved????
Romans 4:20Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God,
Romans 9:30
[ Israel’s Unbelief ] What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith;
Romans 11:20
Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble.
Romans 11:23
And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

God Bless,
Mercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Can you put this in your own words?
Trying to keep this on a more intellectual level, but I fear I will fail.

One of the biggest frustrations I have with fundamentalist of any persuasion, religious, political, or nutritional, is that they have their talking points so well memorized that it is difficult to get them to engage in a conversation. for example, if you tell a right wing free market person that there are studies indicating that raising the minimum wage does not have any effect one way or another, that all minimum wage evidence is anecdotal and worse yet, misinterpretation of unemployment numbers, they go ape crazy and end up calling you names and screaming at you.

I find the same with those whom I call thumpers, the ones who wave their bibles and shotgun you with lots of quotes, taken from hither and yon throughout the bible (all taken out of context) that make some point they imagine. To such people, it is a priori that every word in the bible is true and all one must do is accept that premise and immediately you will become one of the fold. Such folk are unable to step out of their ideology and discuss hypothetically, which is in my mind sad. Prior to Nicea, there was a rich tradition of debate between Christians and Jews and heretics and other followers of other philosophies. After Nicea there was a long march towards orthodoxy, rigidity, and eventually the excesses of the middle ages (in western Europe, at least.

I'm not here to know anyone's personal beliefs. But it sure would be nice if the ideologue left, the ideologue right, the fundamentalists, the atheists, etc could put aside their ideologies and engage in honest discourse. Not saying I am perfect in this respect. Just saying it is all to easy to just stand our ground, wave our flags, throw our stones, and accomplish nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity