U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,109,890 times

Advertisements

I started thinking about this on another thread in the R&S forum, so I thought I would bring it up here.

I am not a troll! I am seriously hoping to have a polite conversation.

But I am an atheist. I was raised in a non-religious household.
I had plenty of Christian neighbors, so I was not unfamiliar with the message.

I think there are some appealing aspects of Christianity, especially the part about people getting justice, good or bad, at the end of their lives. Sometimes the cruelty and unfairness of life saddens me.

I am a good person, and I don't believe I am a sinner. So, I don't feel I need any forgiveness.

I have had some very difficult times in my life that I have overcome without any higher power.

I am already in my early fifties, and I am living the best most fulfilling life I can.

If I don't want to live forever, what would Christianity have to offer someone like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 PM

8,035 posts, read 7,056,459 times
Maybe first you could elaborate on why you don't want to live forever? We naturally hold on to life all we can. Yes, a small percentage end their lives early, but usually because they are in so much pain, they believe at least the pain and suffering will stop.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,109,890 times
I feel that having eternal life would cheapen the life I have in the here and now.
I also have heard so many different things about what one would do with their eternal life that I am afraid I would not like it.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 PM

11,822 posts, read 9,810,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
If I don't want to live forever, what would Christianity have to offer someone like me?
The truth.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
I started thinking about this on another thread in the R&S forum, so I thought I would bring it up here.

I think there are some appealing aspects of Christianity, especially the part about people getting justice, good or bad, at the end of their lives. Sometimes the cruelty and unfairness of life saddens me.

I am a good person, and I don't believe I am a sinner. So, I don't feel I need any forgiveness.

I have had some very difficult times in my life that I have overcome without any higher power.

I am already in my early fifties, and I am living the best most fulfilling life I can.

How about this... are you a parent? Are you happily married by any chance?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:58 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,966,493 times
Quote:

You're going to, either way. Either in heaven or hell.

I can guarantee you can't pass a "good person test", though. God's standard is perfection. If you've ever lied, stolen, gotten angry unjustly, lusted, used his name in vain....you've sinned. You're going to go to hell w/out Jesus.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,567,956 times
Quote:
I feel that having eternal life would cheapen the life I have in the here and now.
I also have heard so many different things about what one would do with their eternal life that I am afraid I would not like it.
What if you knew eternal life would be an experience of being a sentient being who could see and hear, touch, and smell all the beautiful things that we see here in the natural world, but without the accompanying decay, sorrow, injustice, struggle to survive and power of death and you were free to move about wherever you wanted at will and you felt intense love inside, you both felt loved and you also loved every other being who was present with you. And with that you also felt intense joy. Why would you not want to exist in a state like that? I've heard some describe heaven as an earth-like paradise where your thoughts are able to transform you from place to place in endless realms of the glories of God's Creation. I can't see why anyone would not want to exist in such a place. What if you could even go to sleep and be unconscious in a place like that if it was your desire? What's not to like? How would this cheapen your current existence?

Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,567,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

I can guarantee you can't pass a "good person test", though. God's standard is perfection. If you've ever lied, stolen, gotten angry unjustly, lusted, used his name in vain....you've sinned. You're going to go to hell w/out Jesus.
Do you really need to threaten people with hell? She doesn't believe - did you not understand that. She wanted a reason why anyone would want to live forever, not a sermon on the threat of hell. Vizio - hell is a state of being - for instance if someone kidnapped you suddenly and put you in a dungeon and tortured you for years and years (this sort of evil happens to people) then that would be HELL right here on earth. Hell can descend into your life without warning for no apparent reason (you do believe the story of Job, right)?

Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 AM

367 posts, read 280,702 times
Quote:

Have you ever told a lie?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 AM

4,564 posts, read 2,265,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What does Romans [ 6 v 7 ] say about those who have died ?

Who did Jesus 'go to hell' with ?_________ Acts 2 vs 27,31
Jesus did Not threaten anyone with a non-biblical permanent religious-myth burning forever hell.
Acts [ 24 v 15 ] mentions there 'is going to be' [future tense] a resurrection of both the righteous and unrighteous.
Those not resurrected are destroyed ones not burning-forever ones.-Psalm 92 v 7

NO one who lived before Jesus will go to heaven [John 3 v 13 ] because the way to heavenly life was Not offered before Christ. No one mentioned at Hebrews chapter 11 went to heaven. They did Not see the promise [ Heb. 11 vs 13,39 ]
meaning the promise of being resurrected back to life Not in Heaven, Not in Hell, but back to life on Earth. Life on a paradisaic Earth during Jesus 1000-year reign over Earth.- Psalm 72 vs 8, 12-14.; 2nd Peter 3 v 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity