U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,193,028 times

Advertisements

Topic came up in another thread so I thought I'd start a post on it..

So divorce was permitted in the Law that God gave to Moses..

and..

Jesus later acknowledged the unchangeable nature of the Mosaic Law..

so is divorce not ok? What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 PM

8,668 posts, read 20,280,577 times
That's pretty much what they asked Jesus too and He told them basically that God allowed it "because of their hardness of hearts" but it wasn't His original intent.(Matthew 19) It was after this conversation that Jesus said, "What God hath joined together, let no man put asunder." The book of Malachi in the OT also states that God hates divorce. (Malachi 2:16) So I think what Jesus was stating was that it was a "concession" to man's sinful state, but not what God really desires. That's my take on what Jesus said anyway.

Last edited by kaykay; 10-24-2007 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: add the scripture references...

Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
That's pretty much what they asked Jesus too and He told them basically that God allowed it "because of their hardness of hearts" but it wasn't His original intent.(Matthew 19) It was after this conversation that Jesus said, "What God hath joined together, let no man put asunder." The book of Malachi in the OT also states that God hates divorce. (Malachi 2:16) So I think what Jesus was stating was that it was a "concession" to man's sinful state, but not what God really desires. That's my take on what Jesus said anyway.
but isn't our life a concession to man's sinful state?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
but isn't our life a concession to man's sinful state?
Not following you?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,440,071 times
"What God hath joined together, let no man put asunder."

You will have a hard time convincing me that God had anything to do with a lot of marriages.

You will also have a hard time convincing me that God wants a man or woman to remain shackled to someone that turns out to be a terrible father or mother and the children are suffering because of it.

Does He wants a woman to stay with a man that uses her for a punching bag?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Not following you?
You said:

"So I think what Jesus was stating was that it was a "concession" to man's sinful state, but not what God really desires."

I was saying our whole life is a sinful state. Jesus died for our sins so if divorce is a sin wouldn't that be covered too?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM

Exclamation It's a hot potato...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
You said:

"So I think what Jesus was stating was that it was a "concession" to man's sinful state, but not what God really desires."

I was saying our whole life is a sinful state. Jesus died for our sins so if divorce is a sin wouldn't that be covered too?
Personally, yeah I think it's covered, but it obviously is not what God wanted. And we don't intentionally enter into sin ... or we shouldn't! And I do believe that there are some divorces which are "scripturally justified" so to speak and not therefore, not sinful. But most probably don't fall in this category.

Of course, I hope you know, bigthirsty that the subject of divorce is a "big can of worms" you've opened! You've done it now! Lots of differing opinions flying around about the subject of divorce and remarriage!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:42 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,982,798 times
This is why it's bad: The Catholic Faith: Divorce (http://www.catholic-ew.org.uk/faith/living/divorce.htm - broken link)

But even the Catholic church will annul a marriage for just reasons such as abandonment, adultery, and abuse. But it has to be really bad and after an attempt at reconcilliation to do that.

EDIT: On a personal note yesterday was my 15th anniversary and if DH and I can put up with each other still in love for that long...then I think most things can be worked out if you are willing to do the work.

Last edited by irishmom; 10-24-2007 at 10:50 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 10:55 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,873,230 times
why was I thinking that it is not the divorce itself that is the sin, but if one who is divorced remarries then both the divorcee and the new spouse are then committing a sin??? That if you are divorced, it says to not remarry, at least while the ex is still alive.. but then, if there is adultry involved and that is the reason for the divorce then there is another rule???

Old 10-24-2007, 10:58 PM

Concerning:

"What God has united, man must not divide". (Mark, 10:9)

If we have free will has God actually united us? If not then we aren't dividing what he has united.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity