Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,399,377 times

Advertisements

I ask this question because I am alarmed when I read posts by Christians who think that they can leap frog over what Jesus the Christ did for all of us on the cross. It's as if what Jesus did on the cross is too good to be true; therefore, they think that true salvation means following a long laundry list of dos and don'ts, and then and only then you are saved or a true worshiper of God. What are your thoughts about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I ask this question because I am alarmed when I read posts by Christians who think that they can leap frog over what Jesus the Christ did for all of us on the cross. It's as if what Jesus did on the cross is too good to be true; therefore, they think that true salvation means following a long laundry list of dos and don'ts, and then and only then you are saved or a true worshiper of God. What are your thoughts about this?
Can you give some examples? What do you see as others "long laundry lists"?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Can you give some examples? What do you see as others "long laundry lists"?
Depending on the denomination, some require that you keep the Sabbath, follow strict dietary law by eating no pork, no celebrating holidays, voting, play competitive sports, no drinking, dancing , playing games/cards, and attending any secular movies. Also, having friends who are only part of your ministry/church congregation. Any others are only for converting or inviting to your church or bible study.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Depending on the denomination, some require that you keep the Sabbath, follow strict dietary law by eating no pork, no celebrating holidays, voting, play competitive sports, no drinking, dancing , playing games/cards, and attending any secular movies. Also, having friends who are only part of your ministry/church congregation. Any others are only for converting or inviting to your church or bible study.
Okay, well the dietary laws are for Jews, not Christians that I know of, so since Jesus isn't their recognized savior you can't count them

The other things like not drinking, no celebrating holidays etc..., I don't think those churches are saying their members salvation depends on doing those things. They do those things out of respect for God, that's all.

As fellow Christians we don't have to agree with their particular interpretations of the Bible that they believe require them to show respect this way, but we should respect that they are doing what they think is right.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, well the dietary laws are for Jews, not Christians that I know of, so since Jesus isn't their recognized savior you can't count them

The other things like not drinking, no celebrating holidays etc..., I don't think those churches are saying their members salvation depends on doing those things. They do those things out of respect for God, that's all.

As fellow Christians we don't have to agree with their particular interpretations of the Bible that they believe require them to show respect this way, but we should respect that they are doing what they think is right.
Amen. I guess my main motive behind starting this thread is to share how Christians do have certain christian liberties that are basically liberties that are between them and God. It just bothers me when Jesus is taken out of the equation in our salvation and a list of dos and don'ts somehow override what Jesus has already done for us.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Amen. I guess my main motive behind starting this thread is to share how Christians do have certain christian liberties that are basically liberties that are between them and God. It just bothers me when Jesus is taken out of the equation in our salvation and a list of dos and don'ts somehow override what Jesus has already done for us.
You are right that we should always try to keep our focus on our Savior - his great sacrifice and love for us

Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,114,129 times
Quote:
All Christians DO embrace the gift. If you are trying to work your way to heaven, you're not a Chirsitan, by definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity