Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I think the priority would be to implement administrative changes (ie making the Vatican more lean and efficient) as well as improving ethnic diversity in the higher ranks and not to make changes in doctrine and liturgy.
Francis drops first hint that reform may be real | National Catholic Reporter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,813 times
This is a welcome sign, there is much to do to undo the damage done to our Church by the last two popes.

I have also heard the new pope is open to discussion unlike the past two popes.

John Thavis | With new pope, hopes for ecumenical springtime

Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Sadly, as I think we've seen evidenced here on these threads plenty of times, if all one ever does is "study the Bible on his own" that can often lead to misunderstanding it and therefore misinterpreting it.

Misunderstanding and misinterpreting the Bible - taking it out of context even, has led to great harm among many people throughout the generations.

Jesus himself taught about the importance of a religious community - a place to grow spiritually, share knowledge and understanding - to fellowship with other believers. This is why he gave us the Church.

Most churches have leaders. And any large church especially needs leadership - more experienced, more spiritually advanced, more educated leaders to help others in their faith journeys.

The Pope just happens to be the leader of the Catholics. That does not mean that he is more important than Jesus or that he in any way takes the place of Jesus. He is simply an earthly leader of a large group of people.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-30-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 03:15 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sadly, as I think we've seen evidenced here on these threads plenty of times, if all one ever does is "study the Bible on his own" that can often lead to misunderstanding it and therefore misinterpreting it.

Misunderstanding and misinterpreting the Bible - taking it out of context even, has led to great harm among many people throughout the generations.

Jesus himself taught about the importance of a religious community - a place to grow spiritually, share knowledge and understanding - to fellowship with other believers. This is why he gave us the Church.

Most churches have leaders. And any large church especially needs leadership - more experienced, more spiritually advanced, more educated leaders to help others in their faith journeys.

The Pope just happens to be the leader of the Catholics. That does not mean that he is more important than Jesus or that he in any way takes the place of Jesus. He is simply an earthly leader of a large group of people.
wish i could repyou--good response

Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
the pope wears many hats of a variety of colors --none black--and out of respect i would never make fun of nor speak foolishly of someone that happens to lead another religion no matter how he or she looks
Thank you for your respectful and reasonable posts and attitudes my friend

Sadly you just can't converse with some folks on issues of religion without them getting rude or ugly sometimes.

I certainly appreciate a fellow poster like you myself.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:32 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Lots of denominational bashing, and other off topic posts have been deleted. Please stay within bounds of the OP or this one is closed

Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
Not really pleased with the way the new pope is handling the liturgies.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Not really pleased with the way the new pope is handling the liturgies.
He's not doing a bad job otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity