Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:45 PM

522 posts, read 622,377 times

Advertisements

That's a very specific sectarian view. The idea of contemplation and communion with God is common in the majority of Christianity as the majority of Christians aren't Protestant/Reformation. (And even some Protestantism has mystics or at least Anglicans and Quakers kind of have)

Christian mystics include Hildegard of Bingen, Julian of Norwich, Gregory Palamas, Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross, Thomas Raymond Kelly, etc. Russian Orthodoxy has a fairly strong mystical tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
I might also point out that there is no such thing as a "Christian Mystic". In fact anything called "mystic" is not of God.
To bad they do not have the "mind of Christ" to realize it themselves.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietrain View Post
I used to study the works of Mr. Swedenborg...and came upon his books accidentally in the library one day, having never heard of him......and have been fascinated ever since. I guess he was more like a Universalist rather then a rigid Christian literalist...of the evangelical, fire and brimstone sort. His ideas were very freeing to me, and digestible, and new and unique. Swedenborg lived in the 18th century Sweden by the way...

If you are aware of the works and writings of Emanuel Swedenborg...please do touch base. For those who may not have heard of him....well google him, and read up on him some. Emanuel Swedenborg was one of the most brilliant souls to ever have walked the earth. He boasted one of the highest IQ's ever recorded in the history of mankind. He was an avid scientist, and inventor, who mastered many of the branches of science at a very young age. While in his fifties, he had a spiritual experience, and quit the world of science and devoted the rest of his life to a calling he claimed to have....from Jesus himself.......and for the next 30 or so years....he wrote huge amounts of works in regard to his spiritual journeys and experiences. He is said to have conversed with actual angels for many years, and wrote extensively about it all. The most fascinating spiritual related stuff I have ever read in my life.

Many mainstream Christians, primarily conservative Christian sorts....will typically rush to say that he was of the Devil.....or that he was insane.....or went insane....later in his life, or....that he was delusional,, or even a liar.

He had even knew about Islam...and had said that there was a purpose for Islam to be brought to earth as well....a good purpose to further enlighten people, spiritually and etc. He claimed to have dialogue with angels while in a trance like state.....and he also claimed to have spoken to other spirits not just from earth....but from other planets....and claimed that they all worshipped and knew Jesus as God.

Very fascinating stuff......some of his works are "Heaven and Hell"....."True Christianity"...and a ton of other works.....this guy wrote extensively all the way up to his death bed in his eighties.....

I have been conflicted for many years...after having read much of Swedenborgs works....how do others feel about him?
No such thing as a Christian Mystic.......thats like Grape nuts. There are grapes or nuts in it.

Christianity rejects mysticism and occultic practices....

the word “occult” is typically associated with esoteric and mystical practices. It deals with hidden or secretive means to attain personal power, and is characterized by a reliance on the supernatural to achieve its ends. The occult includes such practices as fortunetelling, witchcraft, or trance-channelling — the sort of thing described in Deuteronomy 18. Additionally, tarot cards, crystal balls, ouija boards, and horoscopes number among the many tools which are used by occultists. Clearly, the occult deals directly with demonic forces.

Bible Study Lesson for Acts 8:9-25: Simon the Sorcerer - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes, the universalists are heretics. If you want to be included in that group, you've been warned.
Oh, woe is me. I am a heretic.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
I've never read Swedenborg's writings, but he sounds like a very fascinating man. I might want to read his writings in order to expand my thoughts. I see no reason to fear reading or thinking - I wish more people did more of both.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 PM

987 posts, read 1,118,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I've never read Swedenborg's writings, but he sounds like a very fascinating man. I might want to read his writings in order to expand my thoughts. I see no reason to fear reading or thinking - I wish more people did more of both.
Exactly, Heartsong. There is nothing wrong with thinking and reading different perspectives. We just need to be careful that we don't immediately accept an idea just because someone says they know the absolute truth. God gave us brains and the ability to use them. Just because something sounds logical doesn't mean it's wrong, and vice versa.

God doesn't mind sincere questions. He has answered many of mine. Of course, it seems every question that is answered brings two or three more to mind, but what an experience.

God bless

Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 PM

522 posts, read 622,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
No such thing as a Christian Mystic.......thats like Grape nuts. There are grapes or nuts in it.

Sigh. Mysticism and occultic practices are not synonyms. And again views specific to certain forms of Protestantism are not defining of all Christianity. It's irritating to see Christianity used as a synonym for specific forms of Reformation Christianity.

Granted a bit of caution with mysticism is understandable as mysticism has lead many to Gnosticism or Pantheism. So when you hear the word "mystic" you might think of heterodox or "Eastern" ideas rather than "the desire of the human soul towards an intimate union with the Divinity" or "contemplating directly the mysteries of Divine light" (Catholic Encyclopedia). That being said the desire for contemplation of, and close connection to, God seems like it would fit most Protestantism too. Even the notion of a "Personal relationship to Jesus Christ" in itself could, I think, be called mystical by some perspectives or definitions of the word.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:47 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

the word “occult” is typically associated with esoteric and mystical practices. It deals with hidden or secretive means to attain personal power, and is characterized by a reliance on the supernatural to achieve its ends. The occult includes such practices as fortunetelling, witchcraft, or trance-channelling — the sort of thing described in Deuteronomy 18. Additionally, tarot cards, crystal balls, ouija boards, and horoscopes number among the many tools which are used by occultists. Clearly, the occult deals directly with demonic forces.

Bible Study Lesson for Acts 8:9-25: Simon the Sorcerer - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Bonjour!...

Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 AM

367 posts, read 370,042 times
Quote:
Oh, woe is me. I am a heretic.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery

Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 AM

367 posts, read 370,042 times
Quote:
If you are a Christian (meaning you have the Holy Spirit within you) you will quickly realize the source of what you are reading. The Holy Spirit guides us into truth so there is no problem with reading something or listening to something until we know it's source is evil. Then we must turn from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity