Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 02:12 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,041,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacolels View Post
Swedenborg was most definitely a believer in the heart and professor with the mouth. Paul does say knowledge is a spiritual gift. Knowledge that leads to faith. Receive his teaching as true and it will bless your heart. Definitely definitely true! But believe God desires to give you wisdom. Believe it more than you believe in your 5 senses. God will reveal things to your heart. Some people just rely on their mind for fear that Jesus can't save them if they read the wrong books LOLOLOLOL so they stay quarrelsome and defensive and immature in the spirit. The devil we are supposed to alertly guard against is Pride, Arrogance, vain deceit, evil suspicion, wicked heart of what? UNBELIEF. I repeat: LOVE BELIEVES ALL THINGS.

You're taking that scripture out of context. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 06:18 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You're taking that scripture out of context. Peace
i've yet to hear an interpretation that really resonates with me on that one; what's your take on it?

Old 09-25-2016, 08:22 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
Why must I reject one to accept the other? If one comes from the other then both can be trusted. Perhaps you lack the faith!

Yes all truth is "HIDDEN" in Him. And a great deal of truth He as given us in His written word.

I do not believe "the bible is him". I am not going to waste my time with a liar. As I said before, now that you have assumed to be god and judge me and tell lie's our discussion is over.

Good day!

Get thee behind me satan!
Omega , Remember this guy

Old 06-17-2018, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 962 times
A problem that I have with Swedenborg is that he taught that Heaven is (in effect) a reward for our "being good" and that this "good" way of life is done in our own power. That is not what Jesus taught. If you try to get to Heaven that way, I fear that you will never make it!
Imagine a stalagmite growing upward toward the roof of a cave. It cannot grow itself from the dry cave floor - it depends entirely upon water containing dissolved calcium carbonate dripping from a stalactite descending from the cave roof. If the stalactite ceased dripping, the stalagmite would no longer grow. Our spiritual life is a little like this. Not only can we not accept Jesus as Lord without the grace of God descending upon us, but our continued spiritual growth and "good works" are as dependent upon God's continuing grace as the growth of the stalagmite is dependent upon the continuing solution dripped down from the stalactite. In other words, our spiritual development depends upon having been "born from above" - a spiritual, mystical, regeneration that is the work of God alone. I invite all readers to prayerfully study what Jesus had to say in John 3: 1 - 21. In your prayer, ask Jesus to enlighten you as to all that he meant in these verses and how it relates to you in your own spiritual life. I believe that these verses truly reveal the genuine Way to Heaven.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafydd View Post
A problem that I have with Swedenborg is that he taught that Heaven is (in effect) a reward for our "being good" and that this "good" way of life is done in our own power. That is not what Jesus taught. If you try to get to Heaven that way, I fear that you will never make it!
Imagine a stalagmite growing upward toward the roof of a cave. It cannot grow itself from the dry cave floor - it depends entirely upon water containing dissolved calcium carbonate dripping from a stalactite descending from the cave roof. If the stalactite ceased dripping, the stalagmite would no longer grow. Our spiritual life is a little like this. Not only can we not accept Jesus as Lord without the grace of God descending upon us, but our continued spiritual growth and "good works" are as dependent upon God's continuing grace as the growth of the stalagmite is dependent upon the continuing solution dripped down from the stalactite. In other words, our spiritual development depends upon having been "born from above" - a spiritual, mystical, regeneration that is the work of God alone. I invite all readers to prayerfully study what Jesus had to say in John 3: 1 - 21. In your prayer, ask Jesus to enlighten you as to all that he meant in these verses and how it relates to you in your own spiritual life. I believe that these verses truly reveal the genuine Way to Heaven.
That is not true. He taught Heaven is an experience in the here and now.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:56 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,936,597 times
he is a false teacher

Last edited by Meester-Chung; 06-18-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 464 times
When I’m confused I take straight back to Christ and the word of God. I’ve done lots of reading about the accuracy of the scriptures and all the recent archeological findings you never hear about and different translations and word fir word verses meaning translations. Bottom line the Bible is the most historically accurate books there is even with the various translations, I have about 8 different translations s and cross reference often. There are thousands of ancient manuscripts that validate the scriptures. Here’s a good place to start research https://www.josh.org/8-manuscripts-v...new-testament/
I like to read Lewis and others like Swedenborg briefly but I always hold what any of them say up to what I believe is the ultimate authority on all things spiritual and temporal. Men are fallible and seeking answers even the super smart ones are not immune from making errors. Confused? Ask the Lord for help, he’s truly the only one with the right answers.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
That is not true. He taught Heaven is an experience in the here and now.
Whether it refers to this life or not is not the issue. The important point is whether we experience Heaven because of our own efforts or through the atonement of Jesus.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
My thoughts? Brilliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity