Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
Well, I asked in the original post for someone to explain those verses, and all I got was "well that doesn't count, its in the OT"
I guess you didn't like my answer.

The OT counted for those who lived back then. The principles given back then by the Lord, should be followed today. However, the penalty of death has been paid by Jesus Christ. That's about as relevant as it gets for everyone today.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Quote:
Why do you caste aside what it says in the OT, except for the part where it is against gays?

Oh great not another Pro-Gay Debate.

The ceremonial aspects and the sacrificial aspects of the law were the only thing that were abolished, all other moral parts of the law still apply. Homosexuality is sexual immoriality because sex with one person after another outside of marriage is sexual immorality. This applies to Gay and straight people, so the im gay and God made me this way will not work, because that law applies to both and God only recognizes marriage between man and woman only.

As for
Matthew 5:17-18
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

It states the nothing from the law will pass, which was true since Jesus was still alive when he said this so to them on the Mt. Not one jot or tittle changed from the law, but when he died on the cross he fulfilled the lawand the law also changed. So there was no more need for ceremonial worship and sacrafices. We are under grace now so things that required death will still require death, but God gives you grace to get right instead of being killed when found in your sin.

There is nothing in the OT or NT that allows homosexuality, so you cant really find a loophole around that.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:21 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Exodus 21:7 allows for one's daughter to be sold into slavery.

Exodus 35:2 requires death for anyone who works on the Sabbath

Deuteronomy 22:11 requires death for anyone who wears a garment sews with two different threads

Leviticus 20:13 requires death for homosexuals

Deuteronomy 22:20-21 requires death for brides who aren't virgins

Romans 1:24-31, includes the death of Homosexuals, Murders, thieves, but not rapists.

Why do you continue to break the rules of their own religion? Why don't you sell your daughter into slavery and kill homosexuals and non virgin brides? The Bible tells you so.
The penalties mentioned in the verses above were imposed under the Mosaic Law which was given by God to Israel in the previous dispensation - the Age of Israel (Exodus 19.3; Leviticus 26.46; Deuteronomy 4.8; 5.1; Romans 2.14; 9.4). The law was not given to Gentiles in that dispensation and does not apply to the church today (Romans 3.21-22; 7.6).

The Mosaic Law governed the life of Israel which was a theocracy - a priest nation. The law contained requirements, blessings, and cursings. The Mosaic law was God’s will for Israel.

The purpose of the Law was to show that man was not capable of obeying it and therefore could not by his own righteousness be acceptable to God. The Law showed man's need for a Savior and pointed the way to Jesus Christ who was the only person who was able to fulfill the demands of the Law. Jesus, who was born without a sin nature and lived a life free from sin was qualified to go to the cross where He paid the penalty for our sins by His substitutionary death.

Concerning Romans 1:24-31, as the rest of the passage which precedes it shows, God's wrath - judgment is revealed from heaven against those who suppress the truth concerning Him in unrighteousness. From the beginning, God had made Himself known to man though His creation. This is natural revelation. Therefore man is without excuse for rebelling against God. The results of such rebellion is that God gave the pagan world who knew God (verse 21) but did see fit to acknowledge Him any longer (verse 28) over to their evil desires which deserved God's punishment and the sentence of death. The passage gives certain expressions of depravity, but does not give an exhaustive list.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
What about in the New Testament?

Romans 1:24-31, includes the death of Homosexuals, Murders, thieves, but not rapists.

How can you ignore the old testament but follow the new? Jesus explicitly says in the new testament multiple times to follow the laws of the old testament.

Matthew 5:17-18
The four gospel accounts, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, though grouped with the New Testament epistles, cover the ministry of Jesus who was born, lived and died during the age of Israel. The Mosaic Law was still in effect during Jesus' First Advent. The Church Age did not begin until the day of Pentecost 50 days after the resurrection of Jesus.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 PM

607 posts, read 855,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I asked the question because you mentioned gays in two different posts. I explained quite well that the Mosaic Law was given only to Israel. It was not given to the Gentiles, and it does not apply to the Church. I have provided in my first post verses which confirm this.
So why is it in the Bible?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,990 times
Quote:
Im straight, sorry to disappoint you.

I see you aren't even able to defend your faiths views. LOL.
Badger55, to be honest, I don't agree with homosexuality and I'm not in support of it. My heart just isn't into it. But I'm also aware that much of what went on during the Old Testament times was a reflection of the mindset of those people at that time. There were concrete rules for people who lacked understanding of the abstract and the impact certain things had on one's soul and on the universal consciousness (p.s: I'm sure many will disagree with me. I'm okay with that).

To answer your final line, rapists were punished as well. Read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in Genesis 18-19. The nation was not destroyed due to homosexuality, but for acts of rape and other crimes.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Badger55, to be honest, I don't agree with homosexuality and I'm not in support of it. My heart just isn't into it. But I'm also aware that much of what went on during the Old Testament times was a reflection of the mindset of those people at that time. There were concrete rules for people who lacked understanding of the abstract and the impact certain things had on one's soul and on the universal consciousness (p.s: I'm sure many will disagree with me. I'm okay with that).

To answer your final line, rapists were punished as well. Read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in Genesis 18-19. The nation was not destroyed due to homosexuality, but for acts of rape and other crimes.
No one wants you to put your heart into homosexuality. But if everyone is a sinner, why are they any different?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
No one wants you to put your heart into homosexuality. But if everyone is a sinner, why are they any different?
What makes you say that they're any different?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Also, I don't believe that everyone is a sinner. When we were made, God looked at us and said we were "good". No man is better than another. I look out and see equals.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Also, I don't believe that everyone is a sinner. When we were made, God looked at us and said we were "good". No man is better than another. I look out and see equals.
Ah, so you pick and choose what you want to believe. Isn't being born the original sin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity