U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM

28,203 posts, read 15,327,124 times

Advertisements

Dallas Megachurch Opening $130 Million Campus by Easter

First Baptist Church of Dallas, led by nationally known pastor Robert Jeffress, will complete what is believed to be the largest church building campaign in modern history, opening a new state-of-the-art $130 million campus on Easter Sunday, March 31.

"At a time when suburban megachurches are the norm and research shows that many people no longer feel the Church is relevant, First Baptist is committed to the Bible and to downtown Dallas," said Jeffress. "People are hungry, not for religion, but for the Word of God. First Baptist Dallas is built on the Bible, and because of that, we are growing."

The new campus highlights the landmark sanctuary alongside a new 3,000-seat Worship Center, which includes the latest high-tech features, such as a 150-foot-wide viewing screen. It stretches nearly two-thirds across the room and consists of seven high-definition projectors blended together, making it one of the largest viewing screens in any church in the world.

Connected to the Worship Center, via a glass sky bridge, is the five-story Horner Family Center, featuring children's and youth classrooms, a gymnasium and three age-appropriate indoor playgrounds, and a seven-story parking garage. In addition, a high-impact cross tower and fountain are surrounded by three-quarters of an acre of public community space.

Anyone have a problem with this - or is it good ? I will opine in a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 01:11 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,060,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Dallas Megachurch Opening $130 Million Campus by Easter

First Baptist Church of Dallas, led by nationally known pastor Robert Jeffress, will complete what is believed to be the largest church building campaign in modern history, opening a new state-of-the-art $130 million campus on Easter Sunday, March 31.

"At a time when suburban megachurches are the norm and research shows that many people no longer feel the Church is relevant, First Baptist is committed to the Bible and to downtown Dallas," said Jeffress. "People are hungry, not for religion, but for the Word of God. First Baptist Dallas is built on the Bible, and because of that, we are growing."

The new campus highlights the landmark sanctuary alongside a new 3,000-seat Worship Center, which includes the latest high-tech features, such as a 150-foot-wide viewing screen. It stretches nearly two-thirds across the room and consists of seven high-definition projectors blended together, making it one of the largest viewing screens in any church in the world.

Connected to the Worship Center, via a glass sky bridge, is the five-story Horner Family Center, featuring children's and youth classrooms, a gymnasium and three age-appropriate indoor playgrounds, and a seven-story parking garage. In addition, a high-impact cross tower and fountain are surrounded by three-quarters of an acre of public community space.

Anyone have a problem with this - or is it good ? I will opine in a little bit.
I have mixed feeling about it. Ideally, I would rather see most of that money spent on the poor, but I understand the need for a 3,000 seat Church. Attendance at many churches exceeds 10,000+ and they have to have multiple services that can wear the staff and volunteers out. Its when it gets into all the over the top elaboration costing millions that I have a bigger problem with. I suppose it can be justified just "get some butts in the seats" who may or maynotbe converted and inturn, help the poor, but when so much money could be spent on the poor, I find it doubtful that Jesus would like this idea.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:50 PM

19,952 posts, read 13,564,358 times
If he were a money-grubbing televangelist like Kenneth Copeland or Joel Osteen I'd have an issue with it. But he isn't...he preaches the Gospel. He doesn't water it down. You don't see this guy on tv saying that if you give him money you'll be rich.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:38 PM

16,265 posts, read 8,841,299 times
I bet FBC Dallas does a lot for the poor.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 PM

21,867 posts, read 21,995,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If he were a money-grubbing televangelist like Kenneth Copeland or Joel Osteen I'd have an issue with it. But he isn't...he preaches the Gospel. He doesn't water it down. You don't see this guy on tv saying that if you give him money you'll be rich.
I have a feeling Jesus Christ wouldn't even be able to recognize "the gospel" that Robert Jeffress teaches.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have a feeling Jesus Christ wouldn't even be able to recognize "the gospel" that Robert Jeffress teaches.
Can you give an example?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Can you give an example?
Without getting too specific, he seems to me to be pretty judgmental of Christians who don't share all of his beliefs. When I hear him, I can't help but think of Mark 9:38-40.

"...John [said], Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part.

I just don't see him showing Christian love towards anybody except those who agree with him on every point of doctrine. I don't like that kind of exclusionary approach to trying to draw people to Christ.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Without getting too specific, he seems to me to be pretty judgmental of Christians who don't share all of his beliefs. When I hear him, I can't help but think of Mark 9:38-40.

"...John [said], Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part.

I just don't see him showing Christian love towards anybody except those who agree with him on every point of doctrine. I don't like that kind of exclusionary approach to trying to draw people to Christ.
Since you can't be specific, I'll reserve judgment.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Since you can't be specific, I'll reserve judgment.
Sorry... I just don't want to end up hijacking the thread.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 PM

28,203 posts, read 15,327,124 times
Seems like when Jesus sensed the crowd was getting too large - He would do something to thin out the crowd.

He fed the 5000 and had the opportunity to gain many followers - but then He talked of eating flesh and drinking blood (John 6) and many thought he was nuts, so they left. You had to be a true believer to follow Him after hearing that - which Peter replied...

John 6:68 - Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life.

So I think of these large congregations and wonder if this is what Christ wanted. How many people attend that are just there to be in the crowd? I guess I believe the church is more able to grow in smaller groups where there is more personal relationships.

In the end - from all of the miracles and ministry that Christ performed, only 120 were in the upper room (Acts 1) waiting for what Jesus had promised (i.e. true disciples).

Sure there are better uses for the money. Many need financial help with America's economic woes. And they are investing in stuff that will, in the end, burn up (2 Peter 3).

I think it would be better to make smaller local assemblies that have one large one. Keep the environment small and personal. I understand people want to hear a particular pastor. Set up a means to televise the services to outlets. But have a local leader coordinate bible studies, and ministry events among local groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or