Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nope, mine doesn't! Neither do other Protestant churches that I know of.

The Catholic Church is the church that claims to be the one true way. And maybe the Baptists.
Actually it is the Roman Catholic and the Orthodox Catholic churches that profess that they are the one true church under the Nicene Creed.

Most christian churches believe in the Apostles Creed which does not use the critical phrase "one, holy, catholic and apostolic church".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:22 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
The Greek Orthodox church members would disagree with that.
Actually both have a valid claim or at least the same reason to believe so as they were the same church until the "Great Schism"

Sort of a paradox as both have the same chain of evidence to prove Apostolic Succession

Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”(O)

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”(P)

16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”(Q)

17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?”(R) He said, “Lord, you know all things;(S) you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.(T) 18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death(U) by which Peter would glorify God.(V) Then he said to him, “Follow me!”(W)
Again Jesus made clear who was to "take care of his sheep".

Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM

367 posts, read 370,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The OP hasn't even been back to her own thread since starting it days ago and now, as is typical here, it's just getting more and more off track.

So to get back to the OP's question, "how come only the Catholics can have a Pope?" I will reiterate my original answer

What Catholics believe....

The Catholic Church is the church Jesus Christ himself founded at the Last Supper.

All other Christian denominations branched off of the Catholic Church.

When it was time for Jesus to ascend into heaven after his 40 days here on earth (after he rose from the dead) he knew he needed to leave a "leader" behind to run and organize the new and growing church. He chose Peter. Since Jesus set the example, that's what Catholics have done ever since.

Because the other churches that branched off of the Catholic Church were "protesting" the corruption and teachings of the Church they would have naturally rejected the idea of wanting a pope in their new Protestant denominations.
Good to get back on topic. I answer the OP by stating the fact that only the Roman church, when it turned from God and became part of the government and usurped authority over other churches, decided to create this new position for a man to worship in place of Jesus.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,664 times
I don't think we can say Jesus created the Catholic Church. The only name that is recognized in these church letters (The NT) is the the name "Christian". Now we know, really just from history, after all the original disciples died and their disciples died, the teaching got muddled with traditions of men. Even while the apostles were alive, other groups were starting to do their own thing. It wasn't until Constatine came along, that Christianity became the official religion of the Roman world. It's much safer to say it was out of this, the Catholic Church was born.

The idea of Pope was made here as well. They took Peter's revelation of who Christ is, and say he was the first pope. No where in Scripture is Peter presented as a Pope figure. If anyone was a kind of spokesman of the Church in the early days, you would have to give that honor to Paul if anyone. Peter even mentioned in his own letter, that Paul spoke of things that was hard to understand. So this idea of a Pope, is a tradition brought on by men.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:14 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
While I have never said that, it does seem to be the most accurate description of what happened that I have ever heard. Thank you!
sigh!

and so this foolish debate continues-----catholics have a pope to lead them--he symbolizes peter----the apostle that is believed to have founded the church---as to other religions not having a pope--there are many reasons--and does it really matter as long as we are under God's rule-----end of topic for me

Old 03-20-2013, 03:46 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
Never heard of any Baptist church claiming to be the "only true" church. Of course Baptists have been around a while. Even Jesus went to a Baptist to be Baptized.
I have. My mother had some relatives who claimed that only the Baptists were saved and going to heaven.

But...who baptized John the Baptist? And was he really a Baptist, since, lo though he baptized, he didn't yet believe in the resurrection, since it hadn't happened yet?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Actually it is the Roman Catholic and the Orthodox Catholic churches that profess that they are the one true church under the Nicene Creed.

Most christian churches believe in the Apostles Creed which does not use the critical phrase "one, holy, catholic and apostolic church".
Except we Episcopalians...we DO use that phrase and say the Nicene Creed!

I grew up on the Apostles' Creed, though (Reformed Church of America).

We acknowledge the Bishop of Rome. We just don't place any bishops above the others.

And I suspect God laughs and laughs at our silly divisiveness and inability to agree.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Nope, mine doesn't! Neither do other Protestant churches that I know of.

The Catholic Church is the church that claims to be the one true way. And maybe the Baptists.

funny , im always reading claims by various protestant churches about how catholicism is not even christian and how its borderline in league with the devil , im athiest but was raised catholic and never once heard it said while growing up that anglicanism etc was not christian or other derogitory comments , never heard it from a priest or anyone else

Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Well, the Catholic Church did at one time teach that other beliefs were hell-bound, but that's changed since Vatican II, they've mellowed considerably.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is the authoritative summary of Catholic teachings. Catechism of the Catholic Church
Quote:
838 “The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter.”322 Those “who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church.”323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound “that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord’s Eucharist.”324 (818, 1271, 1399)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity