Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
matt 16:18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
This is a very commonly misunderstood portion of scripture. When Jesus said, "You are Peter", the word he used fro Peter means, "Pebble" When He goes on to say, "And on this rock I will build my church", He was speaking of Himself.

Jesus is "The Rock" of our salvation. Peter was just a small little stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 PM

889 posts, read 825,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
This is a very commonly misunderstood portion of scripture. When Jesus said, "You are Peter", the word he used fro Peter means, "Pebble" When He goes on to say, "And on this rock I will build my church", He was speaking of Himself.

Jesus is "The Rock" of our salvation. Peter was just a small little stone.
You are misinformed but just to show you, you are not alone, I just copied this when I replied to someone else with the same misinformation:

First of all, petros and petra were synonyms in first century Koine Greek in which most of the new Testament was written. Second, most believe that Matthew was first written in Aramaic. Third, and most importantly, Jesus spoke Aramaic and said "You are "Kepha" and on this "Kepha" I will build on my Church". No gender differences in Aramaic. It became Petros (Peter) when it was translated to Greek in the masculine form of the name.

The Catholics, the Orthodox, and many protestants unequivocably believe that Peter was THE ROCK in Matthew 16. (That's like 2 billion Christians). Additionally, if you read "little stone or pebble" in context of Matthew 16, it just doesn't make sense. As God changed Abram (exalted father)name to Abraham, which means father of multitudes, Jesus converted Simon's name to Peter when He gave Peter the keys to the kingdom of heaven and made Peter the head of His Church.

You need to separate yourself from the misinformation given to you by protestants with an agenda and no love of truth if it doesn't fit their purpose.

Another point: When God changes your name, pay attention.

Last edited by GoodToBeHome; 03-20-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
Just noticed. After 6 pages I do not think any of us actually answered the OP directly. We did a fairly good job as describing what the Pope is, but did not address the question.

How come only the Catholics can have a Pope?

My attempt at a direct answer.

Any denomination can have a pope if they want to have one. But it is not likely anyone except Catholics would consider the Catholic Pope as their leader.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:07 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,610 times
A better question: why does the Catholic Church have a Pope? There is no such authoritative position described in The Bible.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 AM

367 posts, read 370,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Just noticed. After 6 pages I do not think any of us actually answered the OP directly. We did a fairly good job as describing what the Pope is, but did not address the question.

How come only the Catholics can have a Pope?

My attempt at a direct answer.

Any denomination can have a pope if they want to have one. But it is not likely anyone except Catholics would consider the Catholic Pope as their leader.
I have directly answered it at least twice now.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
I have directly answered it at least twice now.
That is what I get for trying to read a thread at 5 am. My body woke up but I guess my brain is still in bed.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
A better question: why does the Catholic Church have a Pope? There is no such authoritative position described in The Bible.
That seems to explain why few denomination choose to have anything that compares to a Pope.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
what does that matter ?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I don't think we can say Jesus created the Catholic Church. The only name that is recognized in these church letters (The NT) is the the name "Christian". Now we know, really just from history, after all the original disciples died and their disciples died, the teaching got muddled with traditions of men. Even while the apostles were alive, other groups were starting to do their own thing. It wasn't until Constatine came along, that Christianity became the official religion of the Roman world. It's much safer to say it was out of this, the Catholic Church was born.

The idea of Pope was made here as well. They took Peter's revelation of who Christ is, and say he was the first pope. No where in Scripture is Peter presented as a Pope figure. If anyone was a kind of spokesman of the Church in the early days, you would have to give that honor to Paul if anyone. Peter even mentioned in his own letter, that Paul spoke of things that was hard to understand. So this idea of a Pope, is a tradition brought on by men.
You cannot use scripture in this argument. In the Catholic church the bible is only half of it. Tradition plays a big part.

Jesus said and did many things that are not recorded in scripture.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Actually both have a valid claim or at least the same reason to believe so as they were the same church until the "Great Schism"

Sort of a paradox as both have the same chain of evidence to prove Apostolic Succession
And both will be one someday. They only have a few differences to work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity