U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:29 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,634,541 times

Advertisements

I found this to be an interesting read. Curious to hear some thoughts.

https://marc5solas.wordpress.com/201...-leave-church/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,172,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I found this to be an interesting read. Curious to hear some thoughts.

https://marc5solas.wordpress.com/201...-leave-church/
My impression on why are multiple, but if it could be narrowed down, I would say:

[1] Many youth live in an "instant" reality ... instant text messaging, instant video, instant Google answers, instant news ............. whereas God doesn't operate in that realm. And because God doesn't, He isn't something gratifies the immediate.

[2] The youth's grand parents (many of the baby boomers) did all they could to rebel against the authority of parents
... which they (many of the baby boomers) bred youth that lacked respect for their parents

.... which in turn bred youth that not only lacked respect for parents but for authority in general

... which today now shows itself in apathy towards anything beyond self interest and or erupts in violence (school shootings for example)
[3] Probably the most controversial .... we are nearing ever so closer to the end where there is a great falling away. (and no, not the Minimalism's version of the end). The end as scripture has always taught, the one Great Day when Jesus comes unexpectedly and all things as we know it comes to an end.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:25 AM

25,836 posts, read 13,426,503 times
Because they teach untruths and kids today are too smart to buy it.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 AM

8,105 posts, read 7,075,695 times
Churches that are obedient to the commands of Christ with the lead in the Spirit are the ones who will have the power of Christ, were these Churches will have the youth filling their Sunday Schools and youth ministries ......Where as Churches which are not obedient in the commands and push the Holy Spirit away , will see their Sunday Schools dry up and close down , were the church will be eventually be filled with elderly people ..... What is disobedient is the commands of Christ?...... Churches who would say `Who`s running this church , the leaders or Holy Spirit ?...Plus doctrines which reason out faith in God gifts and promises , and push out all supernatural of God from the church, will push out the youth ......then there is no seed in evangelism for people to go to the church, which rejects the great commission of Christ ..... See God will fill people churches if people have the confidence in Christ and pray their Church to be filled ...

Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 AM

8,792 posts, read 7,710,113 times
They leave because they don't believe. They are like the seed that fell among the weeds, thorns and thistles of the world. They love the things of the world more than the things of God. Kids not continuing in the Christian faith is nothing new. Most Baby boomers I knew, like my two oldest brothers left the church, even after attending 8 years of Lutheran Day school, and have never come back.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,068,110 times
Most churches that try their best to teach to as close to a biblical truth as you can get will be small in numbers. Ive seen many of those churches show these kids what the bible says and the kids just dont wanna hear it. They go to college and get freedom and dont want church again. You can tell who was being forced to to go church vs who actually want to go.

Sheltering these kids as well doesnt work as they will just rebel the 1rst chance they get. But alot of teens go to college and dont really know the bible and their knowledge just comes from the pulpits and one person challenges them in a calm demanor about the history of Christianity, the real name of Jesus in Hebrew, the real reason for sunday worship, christmas, and easter and once the person does the research for themself, the other person then convinces them that Christianity is just a lie and that person start doubting their own faith....Ive seen this happen many times even to Christians that thought they knew everything.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 AM

4,532 posts, read 5,111,503 times
so many excellent reasons--i can add my own observations--in my chosen religion i have seen a steady DECREASE in the church leaders actually interacting with the youth of the church---theses adolescents only interact with ccd or youth group leaders in short spurts---my connection was formulated mainly because i got to interact with the pastors/priests outside of weekly services

Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Because they teach untruths and kids today are too smart to buy it.
that statement covers a few of the reasons. Kids grow up and they are treated as smart for the first time. As a result they are drawn toward the atheist crowd.

Or they simply never believed and they rebel.

Bottom line is that I think today's big box megachurches tend to treat teenagers as kids--and they baby them too much. We don't challenge kids to think tough thoughts, and they get ambushed by having to actually think about their faith when they graduate from high school.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,005,511 times
Some leave because some churches have become a form of entertainment. Now, there's nothing wrong with entertainment, but some churches are just fake. Everything about it is just for show. They don't answer any real questions, and are out of touch with every day experience. They don't break down Scripture, and it becomes like you're hearing the same thing over and over again. So for kids, they are like, "Yo, I can have more fun elsewhere" or "I can spend my time better elsewhere".

Even though the kids leave the church, it doesn't mean they become atheists. In fact, if you ask a lot of young adults, they will tell you they believe in God or a higher power. Yet as for church, it just seems like there's not a whole lot of honesty going on. It seems more like tradition, than actual coming together and sharing with one another. You will probably get more out of a home Bible study group, than going to church on Sundays.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Some leave because some churches have become a form of entertainment. Now, there's nothing wrong with entertainment, but some churches are just fake. Everything about it is just for show. They don't answer any real questions, and are out of touch with every day experience. They don't break down Scripture, and it becomes like you're hearing the same thing over and over again. So for kids, they are like, "Yo, I can have more fun elsewhere" or "I can spend my time better elsewhere".

Even though the kids leave the church, it doesn't mean they become atheists. In fact, if you ask a lot of young adults, they will tell you they believe in God or a higher power. Yet as for church, it just seems like there's not a whole lot of honesty going on. It seems more like tradition, than actual coming together and sharing with one another. You will probably get more out of a home Bible study group, than going to church on Sundays.
Yes---the article addresses that. Rather than attend YET ANOTHER pizza party at the big box church, kids would rather be real and just hang out with real friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity