Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:53 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn
Quote:
Men must love their wives as themselves, is a command to provide...... not take them to the game or to home depot.
Love, like spontaneity cannot be commanded. People who are only spontaneous on command are not spontaneous at all. The same goes for people who only love because they are commanded to do so.
Commanding someone to do anything against their will is more rape than love.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-27-2007 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 07:35 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Love, like spontaneity cannot be commanded. People who are only spontaneous on command are not spontaneous at all. The same goes for people who only love because they are commanded to do so.
Commanding someone to do anything against their will is more rape than love.
That statement is exactly like a teenager thinks... imature and without substance. Commitment is what anchors love, not what you feel. If that logic were true soceity would be chaotic and lawless. Life is structured with meaning, and has a purpose.

Love must have substance, and be accountable to the commitments we make. I'm not saying everyone should be married, but for those who do, they must understand that feelings and spontaneity are products of love grounded in commitment. You clearly do not grasp a godly concept of love.

Moderator cut: orphaned text from off topic comments

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-27-2007 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-27-2007, 08:43 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn
Quote:
That statement is exactly like a teenager thinks... imature and without substance.
Something has substance because it has substance, not because YOU believe it has substance. But I agree with you that denying the truth is being petty and immature.
Fact still is that you cannot command someone to love. You can certainly trick or condition someone to love, but you still can't command someone to love.

Moderator cut: orphaned from off topic text-let's stick to the subject of 'Women over Men'

Old 10-27-2007, 08:47 AM

292 posts, read 933,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Exactly... Different roles, not different values. As a husband, if I keep the "command" that was directed to me, "Love your wife as your own body", and am truly submitted to Christ, everything else should fall into place. It's not my responsibility to see that my wife is "submitted" to me.
I agree! Too often we're focused on what the other is not doing and then not doing our part! (can you tell I've done this myself as well?)
A good friend recently shared that she felt the reason these are commands to us is because they are not easy to do!
From what I read in Epesians 5 we are to submit to one another. The husbands are to love their wives and the wives are to revere(or respect) their husbands.
As far as women in the church...hmmmm interesting subject. One I really need to learn more about.
There is that scripture that says, There is neither male nor female in Christ Jesus which to me would imply in the Spirit we are equal and that there should be no distinquishment between the sexes.
This topic seems to pop up alot when women begin to step out.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:52 AM

292 posts, read 933,793 times
Lightbulb Obey the Lord first and foremost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
[/i][/b]
we as children of God must be obedient to Him first; whether man or woman.
I have been in the position where the Lord was telling me to do a thing that my husband was not in agreement with! This was sooooo hard. I really lamented about it and bathed it all in prayer before obeying the Lord. The Lord did confirm it to me before and afterwards that it was him and also to my husband.
Yes ultimately, we need to obey the Lord first and foremost above any other!
Very good point!

Old 10-27-2007, 07:43 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
In a these days of Human Secularism and Subjectivism, some may feel that anything goes when it comes to marriage and other roles of women and men relationships.
From a Biblical point of view what are your thoughts on women usurping authority over men in and out of the physical church, and in other facets of lifeWomen over Men
I think God created men and women with specific purposes for them. Each have their place. Each are valuable. However, in Christ there is neither male or female. If we all get in our places the world will change for the better

Old 11-01-2007, 03:23 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
So as not to take another thread off topic,( Wow, and I thought I could trust God ) I transferred my reply here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I don't see how anyone can quote Galations 3:28.......neither male nor female for ye are all one in Christ. Then in the next sentence say that a man is over the woman and that therefore is not allowed to teach a man or speak in church....
A man is not over the woman.. by no means! Equal, yet different roles... when my love is in its place, its a balanced circle. "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." My wife OFTEN gives me spiritual insight... The problem today, IMO, often starts with the husband... if he is not following the Lord, and not loving his wife AS HIMSELF, (in effect, putting her needs above his own) the circle is off balance...

Old 11-01-2007, 03:43 PM

157 posts, read 624,025 times
I like the thought of God taking the rib from Adam's side when He created Eve as a built-in symbolism of equality, walking side by side, giving mutual love and respect... He could have taken a piece from his heel or his skull. Just a thought

Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Men and women are equal in the eyes of the Lord,it just each gender has a different role.Husbands should be subservient to their wives as well as wives be subservient to their husbands and both husband and wife shall be subservient to God. Nobody is better (superior) than anybody or nobody is smarter than anybody it is all about order in the family at home as well as the church family and when there is no order,there is division and strife in the church family as well as the home family as well there is no relatioinship with God.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
There is a passage about marriage that states....and the two shall become one.....

I agree with all that is posted. Both husband and wife have their own strengths.
I remember before we married I told me husband I would NOT say "obey" He got really upset and called my dad, who is a pastor....My dad burst into laughter stating, she hasn't obeyed me since she was 15, what makes you think she's gonna obey YOU?"

I will admit that I shocked the bejeezies out of my family when I became "submissive" to my husband....I'm a stubborn person. But I found once I did this, he in turn became the husband I knew he could be. He respects me as I respect him. We are truly equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity