Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM

367 posts, read 370,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have a better question...

How come people are more interested in which church you attend and which book you believe than they are in what kind of a person you are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
because our salvation isn't dependent on what "kind of person" we are? But the church we go to is an indication of what we believe.....usually.
What kind of person you are does indicate what you believe because "by their fruit you will know them". That takes time though so by knowing what "church" someone attends and what book they believe is a good indication of what they at least claim to believe.

For instance, the man who goes to the local Mosque every day and reads the Koran all the time is most likely not a practicing Jew.

Someone who attends Wicca meetings and reads The Encyclopedia of Witches & Witchcraft is most likely not a Jehovah's Witness.

The young man in a white shirt and tie, riding a bicycle, going to the LDS meeting house for 3 hours on Sunday and reading the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine and Covenants and the KJV with footnotes to corrections from the Joseph Smith translation is most likely not a follower of Hari Krishna.

So the "church" you attend and the book you accept is very telling and a perfect place to start to understand what someone believes and practices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
The ^ above ^ sounds as if some churches are just acting or existing as social clubs exist.

I remember seeing a BIG billboard that read: 'go to the church of YOUR choice'.
Wouldn't Jesus have said, 'go to the church of GOD's choice' ?_______

It is Scriptural, Christians are to gather together according to Hebrews 10 v 25, but not as a social club, but assembling together because Meetings are: survival classes. Meetings: give hope. Meetings: encourage each other spiritually [Proverbs 4 v 18 ] whereas isolating oneself creates selfish longings. - Proverbs 18 v 1.
You make a good point but I think today too many try to minimize the social aspect of God's Church. If one is living openly as a Christian then they will not fit into society very well. They will be different than most people and not accepted readily by others as friends and neighbors. They will often be in hostile environments and will need the safety of a group of brothers and sisters in Christ who are all experiencing the same things.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
You make a good point but I think today too many try to minimize the social aspect of God's Church.
Can agree with the ^ above ^ because good association would be a good habit, but how many use their congregation as just more or less a social organization.
Organized in secular aspects such as: just socializing over kingdom interests. - Luke 4 v 43
Lately I have seen a growing number of signs promoting church dinners.- 1st Cor. 11 v 22
One sign even read 'donuts' served before the morning church service.
Didn't Jesus give the Christian congregation the assignment, Not feeding in the congregation, but to proclaim the 'good news of God's kingdom' on an international scale before the end comes of all badness on earth ? - Matthew 24 v 14.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Can agree with the ^ above ^ because good association would be a good habit, but how many use their congregation as just more or less a social organization.
Organized in secular aspects such as: just socializing over kingdom interests. - Luke 4 v 43
Lately I have seen a growing number of signs promoting church dinners.- 1st Cor. 11 v 22
One sign even read 'donuts' served before the morning church service.
Didn't Jesus give the Christian congregation the assignment, Not feeding in the congregation, but to proclaim the 'good news of God's kingdom' on an international scale before the end comes of all badness on earth ? - Matthew 24 v 14.
Take 1 Cor 11:22 in context and you realize he is not saying to stop eating together when they come together but to not be greedy and taking food that others need.

1 Cor 11:20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord’s supper.
21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
I have a better question...

How come people are more interested in which church you attend and which book you believe than they are in what kind of a person you are?
Good question.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
You make a good point but I think today too many try to minimize the social aspect of God's Church. If one is living openly as a Christian then they will not fit into society very well. They will be different than most people and not accepted readily by others as friends and neighbors. They will often be in hostile environments and will need the safety of a group of brothers and sisters in Christ who are all experiencing the same things.
I'm always wondering about people who believe this. Are you talking about Christians in the U.S.?

Can you give us a few examples? I'm a Christian and I know a lot of Christians. We have jobs, live in houses, have families, go grocery shopping, vote. We get invited to bar-b-q's and carpool with the neighbors to get the kids to school. We can buy a Bible in secular stores. We can go to any church we like. I've never been refused service in a restaurant because I wear a cross around my neck. I can openly read my Bible while I'm waiting for my car to be serviced. I've never had a rude comment about my choice of reading material.

Where, exactly, is this hostile environment?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 AM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Take 1 Cor 11:22 in context and you realize he is not saying to stop eating together when they come together but to not be greedy and taking food that others need.
1 Cor 11:20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord’s supper.
21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
Sorry for any misunderstanding. I was not clear in that I meant the congregation is Not to be used as a restaurant-like place. People are to be there for 'spiritual food' Not physical meals. We should meet and eat together, just Not inside of God's 'house of worship'. The seating arrangement is for listening [ drinking in the Word of God ] not seats with tables.
- Psalm 34 v 8; 1st Peter 2 v 3

Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Sorry for any misunderstanding. I was not clear in that I meant the congregation is Not to be used as a restaurant-like place. People are to be there for 'spiritual food' Not physical meals. We should meet and eat together, just Not inside of God's 'house of worship'. The seating arrangement is for listening [ drinking in the Word of God ] not seats with tables.
- Psalm 34 v 8; 1st Peter 2 v 3
You think the building you meet in is some holy place? While most churches I know of do not eat in the same room they hold services I would wonder how you would deal with the church that meets in the local Restaurant. We are the church and not the building. It's just a building. God does not live in a building or even dwell there for a time as He once did. We are His temple now. Don't reverence a building.

One church I attended had supper on Wednesday nights. It was a great way to make it easier for people to come straight to church after work and not have to worry about feeding the kid's. It also was good for the people who needed extra income that we let work in the kitchen. I think we paid a couple of dollars for the mean. If you didn't have the money, no body cared. And it was a great setting for a bible study. We held or Wednesday night services in the fellowship hall rather than the main auditorium but had we had a multi-purpose room would could have saved 10's of thousands of dollars by not having to build a separate fellowship hall. I think it's a waste of God's money to let that meeting hall set there unused most of the time. But that's just my opinion. I am sure some will disagree.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post
What good is a meeting just to get out the house-----Amos 3:3 ?

What good is a good buddy meeting with 90% bible believers----Amos 3:3 ?

What favor are we doing God with just a meeting only---Amos 3:3 ?

Who said love is just about being around ceremonial people only----1 John 2:15 ?

Who said the world is not in the church too----Galations 1:8-9 ?

Who really hungry for the real assembly of God's people---Matthew 5:6 ?

Who know the real church is made up of 100% bible believers----Matthew 5:17-20 ?

The world is not just people cussing and swearing and fist fighting---John 8:32.

It's not just people with threats and high tempers---John 8:32.

It's not just people drug dealing and selling their body---John 8:32.

It's not just haters and unforgivers---John 8:32.

It's not just cheaters and spouse abusers verbally---John 8:32.

To be honest the world has peacemakers too---John 8:32.

They have generous donaters to charity too---John 8:32.

They have marriage anniversaries also---John 8:32.

They have honor roll children as well---John 8:32.

They get employee of the month awards too---John 8:32.

Anybody make up the world if water baptism is mocked by them---John 3:5.

Anybody make up the world if the Sabbath is mocked by them---Hebrews 4.

Anybody make up the world if modest attire is mocked by them----1 Peter 3:3.

Anybody make up the world if they mock believing all the bible---John 8:31.

They can have buildings and give meeting invitations all they want-----Amos 3:3 !!

They can believe in a God all they want----Amos 3:3 !!!

They can be a loving Bob all they want----Amos 3:3 !!

They can tell you they not smoking anymore all they want---Amos 3:3 !!

When did God curse segregation with Christians only----2 Cor. 6:14-17 ?

What rule did they break knowing strangers in theology enough---1 Thess. 5:12 ?

Who said unity is about a loving Bob and loving George together only---Amos 3:3 ?

Who said Christianity is a tolerance religion with 90% bible believers----1 or 2 Peter 1:20-21 ?

Who said the cross is the gospel only----Romans 6:1 ?

Who said all works is a Pharisee practice of the devil---1 Timothy 6 and 2 Timothy 3:16 ?

Who said 1 testimony is evidence of being a Christian----Matthew 7:21-24 ?

Who dared to say that all the bible don't make you a Christian----John 8:31 ?

What wise man can teach Christianity other then Jesus in the bible----1 John 2:27 ?

Who said anything about many faiths of Christianity----Ephesians 4:5 ?

Who got a praise report about where Uncle Lou going when he die except God and/or Lou
only----Psalms 107:2 ?

Who decided a Christian wedding is a ordinary wedding like the world today----1 Peter 3:3 ?

Who said unbelievers don't have fruits of their labor to brag about too---Matt. 7:21-24 ?

What wise man can praise the wisdom of any man living today----Isaiah 64:6 ?

What wisdom can figure the way to heaven out except the wisdom of God---John 3:5 ?

What wise man has God all figured out on how to go to heaven without all the bible---John 5:39 ?

What wise man can outwit God on how to intrepret all the bible----1 or 2 Peter 1:20-21 ?

Who ever said a loving heart is the evidence of being a Christian only----1 John 2:15 ?

Who ever said all blood boasters are Christians saved----Romans 6:1 ?

What bible verse says 100% bible believers are not saved----John 8:31 ?

What bible topic says 100% bible believers are not born again---Matthew 5:17-20 ?

Who can talk about eternal life in Jesus without all the bible---Matthew 4:4 and Luke 4:4 ?

The noble goal remains simple; just attracting 100% bible believers together ONLY-----Amos 3:3
and 2 Cor. 6 and Psalms 133:1 and John 17:21 and John 8:31 and Matthew 5:17-20.

Who said being silent on some bible topics is the will of God to make peace with
people----2 Timothy 3:16 and Matthew 10:34-37 and Luke 6:26 ?

Who ever said all the bible doesn't bring all Christians together in theology unity
ENOUGH----Psalms 133:1 and 2 Timothy 3:16 and Amos 3:3 and John 8:31 and
Matthew 5:17-20 ?

Who saying Amen to modest living-----1 Timothy 6 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to the Sabbath----Hebrews 4 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to man correcting man ----James 5:20 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to women church rules-----1 Cor. 14:34-35 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to tongue rules in the church----ALL of 1 Cor. 14 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to modest attire----1 Peter 3:3 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to holy marriage today---Romans 7:2-3 and 1 Tim. 5:9 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to 100% bible believers ONLY---John 8:31 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to theology unity with people ENOUGH----Amos 3:3 and Ephesians 4:5 ?

Who saying Amen to all the bible teaching Christianity 101 only---Amos 3:3 and 1 John 2:27 ?

Who saying Amen to all the bible on the topic of LOVE----1 John 2:15 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to all the bible on the topic of charity giving----Galations 1:8-9 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to the wisdom of God only----Jeremiah 10:23 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to burying their wisdom for God's wisdom---Acts 17:28 and 1 Cor. 1:25 & Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to studying when self righteous people say that's intellectual only and not spiritual to be successful with God----2 Timothy 2:15 and Psalms 119:105 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who saying Amen to all the bible the way it's expressed in bible grammar completely
today---1 John 2:27 and Rev. 22:18-19 and Amos 3:3 and 1 or 2 Peter 1:20-21 ?

Who died to the wisdom of man and not just cigarette habits only---Psalms 107:2 and
John 8:31 and Amos 3:3 ?

Who died to the wisdom of man and GOT MORE then a loving heart to brag about
today----1 John 2:15 and John 8:31 and Amos 3:3 and Psalms 107:2 and
Matthew 7:21-24 ?
The goal of 100% Bible believers should be to speak a word in due season to the weary of soul, not to drown the mind and spirit and soul with all that one knows in one session.

IS 50:4 "The Lord God has given Me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: He wakens morning by morning, he wakens Mine ear to hear as the learned." We all need to learn more and more that a Word needed is all that is needed.

A little salt seasons the food but too much, who can bear! You will spit it out and it will become wasted!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Right. The commandments Jesus was constantly talking about weren't really "commandments" at all. They were just "suggestions." He told His followers on many occasions what was expected of them, but it was mostly because He just liked to hear himself talk. It wasn't that any of these things really mattered to Him in the long run.

Yes, it is, and every Christian Church I know of teaches that it is through Jesus Christ's Atonement that we are offered salvation.
So which is it? Is it the ability to follow commandments, or Christ's atonement? And by the way, not every church teaches salvation by faith alone through Christ alone. We've been over this many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity