Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 AM

367 posts, read 370,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Experience. 350 years worth in my particular faith tradition.
So that means it's not the original Christian faith tradition you follow. It's something much newer. Man-made I would assume since the faith tradition of Christians began about 2000 years ago. What is this new faith tradition you follow? How does that affect your reading or not reading the Bible through in a year?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
So that means it's not the original Christian faith tradition you follow. It's something much newer. Man-made I would assume since the faith tradition of Christians began about 2000 years ago. What is this new faith tradition you follow? How does that affect your reading or not reading the Bible through in a year?
How did they read the bible through in a year when there were no bibles?. Think about it will ya!!!!!.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How did they read the bible through in a year when there were no bibles?. Think about it will ya!!!!!.
What does that have to do with this person's reading the bible? Actually what we call the bible has existed in some from for many thousands of years. It was not completed until the first century. Jesus read from it, Paul and Peter quoted it. But I still do not see how that would affect a person today reading the bible through in a year. What do you see as the correlation here?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Actually, it seems quite clear from internal evidence that the idea of women as second class citizens was introduced by neo-Platonists early in the second century, but people who insist that the Bible as we have received it AND that it has priority over the promptings of the Spirit refuse to subject the doctrine to the test of fruit of the Spirit.

Hint: Control is NOT one of the fruits of the Spirit.

BUT, since you mention it, my faith tradition was also a leader in the current realization that, contrary to the perceptions of the "original Christian faith tradition," it is inherently wrong to own another human being. I believe that is also accordingto the promptings of the Spirit.

Last edited by nateswift; 04-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Additional information

Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Actually, it seems quite clear from internal evidence that the idea of women as second class citizens was introduced by neo-Platonists early in the second century, but people who insist that the Bible as we have received it AND that it has priority over the promptings of the Spirit refuse to subject the doctrine to the test of fruit of the Spirit.

Hint: Control is NOT one of the fruits of the Spirit.

BUT, since you mention it, my faith tradition was also a leader in the current realization that, contrary to the perceptions of the "original Christian faith tradition," it is inherently wrong to own another human being. I believe that is also accordingto the promptings of the Spirit.
But you still have not told us what this new faith tradition is that you are a part of. Some reason you don't want to share? Are you a Quaker?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
But you still have not told us what this new faith tradition is that you are a part of. Some reason you don't want to share? Are you a Quaker?
It's on my profile, I didn't see any reason to name the particular tradition in context. Also, you should note that the basis of formation of the "new tradition' (which George Fox did not really intend at first) was to discard the accretion over 1600 years of traditions of men and get back to the faith of those first Christians. I'm not sure when the formally recognized "Restoration Movement" started, but that's not a bad idea.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with this person's reading the bible? Actually what we call the bible has existed in some from for many thousands of years. It was not completed until the first century. Jesus read from it, Paul and Peter quoted it. But I still do not see how that would affect a person today reading the bible through in a year. What do you see as the correlation here?
Your emphasis of it over the Spirit. What would you have done a few centuries back when most of the world could neither read or write and worse still never had bibles like you and I do today ?.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,257 times
Quote:
Actually, it seems quite clear from internal evidence that the idea of women as second class citizens was introduced by neo-Platonists early in the second century....
Which scriptures are from the second century?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
It's on my profile, I didn't see any reason to name the particular tradition in context. Also, you should note that the basis of formation of the "new tradition' (which George Fox did not really intend at first) was to discard the accretion over 1600 years of traditions of men and get back to the faith of those first Christians. I'm not sure when the formally recognized "Restoration Movement" started, but that's not a bad idea.
I'm sorry, I have never read your profile. Since most don't have one or put nothing on them I just don't bother any more.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Your emphasis of it over the Spirit. What would you have done a few centuries back when most of the world could neither read or write and worse still never had bibles like you and I do today ?.
When did I emphasis it over the Spirit on this thread? I think perhaps you are just trying to keep taking this off topic. Let's deal with the OP and why you think this has anything to do with that persons reading the bible in one year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity