Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times

Advertisements

Would you attend a church where the pastor had marital problems? I know of a pastor that is getting ready for a seperation. The marriage is problematic, and after the seperation, it more than likely will go into divorce.

Would you give a pastor a second chance? What if he would be considered for another church and he told them of his issues. Could you support him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM

367 posts, read 370,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Would you attend a church where the pastor had marital problems? I know of a pastor that is getting ready for a seperation. The marriage is problematic, and after the seperation, it more than likely will go into divorce.

Would you give a pastor a second chance? What if he would be considered for another church and he told them of his issues. Could you support him?
Not enough info to answer the question!

If the problems are he runs around on her then I would have a problem with him as a pastor. If she is unhappy and leaves him then it could be a different story. That would be something for his church and him to work out. Divorce itself is not a sin. If he is choosing to divorce then it's wrong. But both parties often do not want the divorce. Just too many variables to really make a decision from what you told us.

As for going to another church later, that also depends on the situation. Just because he is divorced is no reason to reject him. Divorce is just a symptom. You must learn what the real cause of the problem is and make your decision based on that.

IMHO

Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:

I would hope such a church would have some kind of plan in place to send this pastor on leave until his personal issues are resolved. He's in no condition to be "sheparding" anyone while in crisis himself.

But of course, once he was able to resolve the situation and do the grief work it would take to overcome the loss of the marriage, I could welcome him back as my pastor.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:36 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,246 times
Do you think he would have the conviction to remain unmarried and celibate for the rest of his life (or at least until the death of his ex)?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
Not enough info to answer the question!

If the problems are he runs around on her then I would have a problem with him as a pastor. If she is unhappy and leaves him then it could be a different story. That would be something for his church and him to work out. Divorce itself is not a sin. If he is choosing to divorce then it's wrong. But both parties often do not want the divorce. Just too many variables to really make a decision from what you told us.

As for going to another church later, that also depends on the situation. Just because he is divorced is no reason to reject him. Divorce is just a symptom. You must learn what the real cause of the problem is and make your decision based on that.

IMHO
She is a pastor's wife that refuses to have a "commitment" worthy of leadership. She does not like to arrive to church on time, she does not like to go to any service other than Sunday morning service. She has shown herself to be a good worker, friendly, and a good supporter of her family.

However, she has grudingly done these things and she has not shown a geniune love of the church. They could not agree on how to raise the kids in and out of the church either. He wanted to get a solid foundation in them with Bible study, youth activities and such, but if sporting events, school activities, and other things were on the agenda, she would never support going to church or have a compromise.

The issues are not things like another woman, or gambling, or drugs, or domestic violence. Their issues stem in and out of things concerning the church.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Do you think he would have the conviction to remain unmarried and celibate for the rest of his life (or at least until the death of his ex)?
No

Old 03-24-2013, 08:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Can't make any judgments based on this little info. Who wants the divorce? If his wife is claiming Biblical grounds for a divorce, then if the case is provable, then the pastor goes. If the wife is the cause of the divorce, then the pastor is innocent and free to continue to serve and remarry. If the OP fills in some details it would help.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:

It really depends on the circumstance. Did he remarry? Why was he divorced?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 AM

367 posts, read 370,337 times
Quote:
She is a pastor's wife that refuses to have a "commitment" worthy of leadership. She does not like to arrive to church on time, she does not like to go to any service other than Sunday morning service. She has shown herself to be a good worker, friendly, and a good supporter of her family.

However, she has grudingly done these things and she has not shown a geniune love of the church. They could not agree on how to raise the kids in and out of the church either. He wanted to get a solid foundation in them with Bible study, youth activities and such, but if sporting events, school activities, and other things were on the agenda, she would never support going to church or have a compromise.

The issues are not things like another woman, or gambling, or drugs, or domestic violence. Their issues stem in and out of things concerning the church.
OK. Based on this information (if I could ask them questions direct I could make better decisions) I would seem to think maybe she is either nor really a believer or is having spiritual issues. If she is the one wanting to leave, the scriptures say for the believer to let them go.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It really depends on the circumstance. Did he remarry? Why was he divorced?
He has not remarried, so they are not divorced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity