U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,548,774 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: quote is orphaned

Moderator cut: delete as orphaned

But this is what my parents/church taught me as a kid - that being gay was a horrible sin. It only made it more difficult on my when I hit puberty and realized I was gay. It filled me with self hatred and suicidal thoughts.

The ignorance of this whole "homosexualty is sin" thing is that peple posting here actually believe they can prevent their children from being gay. If they are gay, you have no control over it. It's the ignorant believe that being gay is chosen/learned. I hope none of the posters here have chldren who are gay. I hate that others have to go through what I did. Self hatred, fear of being disowned, and even after getting over it and coming out, dealing with parents who you know are disappointed in you simply because of religious bigotry that they've bought into. As an adult, I'm still not close to my parents because they're ignorant, and choose relidious dogma over love of their child.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-28-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,831,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched.elect View Post
We as Christians, whether parents or not, have to deal with the sin of homosexuality the same way we deal with any sin. How do we treat the sin of lying, when all the politicians do it? How do we deal with the sin of theft, when it's glorified on TV? How do we deal with the sin of idolatry (particularly the idolatry of evolution) when encouraged by all manner of media and persons? How do we deal with the sin of fornication when it's glamorized by Hollywood and other media? We deal with the sin of homosexuality as we would any other sin, but teaching them what the Scriptures have to say about it.

Exactly ... teaching them what the Scriptures have to say about it.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:56 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,548,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
[/b]

Exactly ... teaching them what the Scriptures have to say about it.
You mean teaching them an anti-gay interpretation of the scriptures, which still won't make a gay child heterosexual Just increases their chances of suicide/dysfunction/self hatred, etc.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,579,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You mean teaching them an anti-gay interpretation of the scriptures, which still won't make a gay child heterosexual Just increases their chances of suicide/dysfunction/self hatred, etc.
Yes. Sad to say, but many Christians will continue to teach their children to despise others. It is done out of fear. Oddly, they'll only pick that one thing they consider sin and major on it. They won't teach their kids to avoid other types of people who are doing various sins. Some people have to have someone to oppose or they cannot feel satisfied with life.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,151,572 times
I just always taught my daughter what kind of man to look for to be her husband. She seems to have figured out the rest is wrong.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:44 AM

367 posts, read 281,364 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
I use such instances from media (proponents of sin pointing fingers at others who sin to divert attention from their sin) to teach my child that you must only answer and be responsible for your own sin. You cannot justify your sin because of someone else sin. And not to let those who sin openly and can convince many others that their sin is not wrong, cause you to commit the same sin or to support their sin.
Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-29-2013 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM

13,468 posts, read 21,232,832 times
Moderator cut: notice

Just a reminder that over a page of off topic and contentious posts have been deleted.
In these sort of threads that are highly debatable it is important to stayu on the op which states the subject of discussion. Please only discuss what is set forth in the op.

Question for Christian Parents who believe Homosexuality is a sin This is not a discussion about Homosexuality being right or wrong, natural or not.

How do you, or do you plan to when it comes up, explain to your children (11-13) what "Gay" and "homosexual" means since it is being discussed so much on TV and radio these day's?

Being a Christian I know we must teach them that it is a sin. But when they see popular people and politicians claiming it is ok to practice such a sin we must counter this false teaching with God's truth.

Have any of you had the experience of dealing with this yet?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,831,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Moderator cut: notice

Just a reminder that over a page of off topic and contentious posts have been deleted.
In these sort of threads that are highly debatable it is important to stayu on the op which states the subject of discussion. Please only discuss what is set forth in the op.

Question for Christian Parents who believe Homosexuality is a sin This is not a discussion about Homosexuality being right or wrong, natural or not.

How do you, or do you plan to when it comes up, explain to your children (11-13) what "Gay" and "homosexual" means since it is being discussed so much on TV and radio these day's?

Being a Christian I know we must teach them that it is a sin. But when they see popular people and politicians claiming it is ok to practice such a sin we must counter this false teaching with God's truth.

And to counter this "false teaching" with God's truth is to take the position that it is wrong. And according to God's truth those who approve of those who practice it are just as deserving of punishment.

So what should be pointed out to children is that those on TV and radio will also be held accountable for their supporting of perversion as well as the actual participants.
Romans 1:32 Although they know Godís righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 PM

281 posts, read 231,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
But this is what my parents/church taught me as a kid - that being gay was a horrible sin. It only made it more difficult on my [sic] when I hit puberty and realized I was gay. It filled me with self hatred and suicidal thoughts.

The ignorance of this whole "homosexualty is sin" thing is that peple [sic] posting here actually believe they can prevent their children from being gay. If they are gay, you have no control over it. It's the ignorant believe [sic] that being gay is chosen/learned. I hope none of the posters here have children who are gay. I hate that others have to go through what I did. Self hatred, fear of being disowned, and even after getting over it and coming out, dealing with parents who you know are disappointed in you simply because of religious bigotry that they've bought into. As an adult, I'm still not close [sic] to my parents because they're ignorant, and choose relidious [sic] dogma over love of their child.
I'm sorry that you had to go through what you did. Just because one is homosexual doesn't mean we, as Christians, are to treat them any differently than we do a liar, thief or murderer. Nowhere are we told to disown our children, but that does not mean that we are to be happy and condoning of their sinfulness. Sin is sin, and should be hated whatever it is, but the person is to shown the love of Christ no matter what. It seems to me that your parents have not been able to do this.

But homosexuality, as with any other sin, can be overcome through the power of Christ in our lives. As Christians, we are to live Spirit and put off the desires of our flesh in which we formerly walked. (Gal. 5:16, 24, Eph. 2:2-3, Rom. 13:14, 1 Pet. 2:11) I won't get into a debate on the willfulness of homosexuality, because we both believe differently. All sin can not only be forgive, but overcome through the power of Christ's victory of death and the power of the Spirit that indwells us and gives us the strength to overcome.

Blessings in Christ,

Matthew

Old 03-29-2013, 12:46 PM

3,259 posts, read 5,107,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
This is not a discussion about Homosexuality being right or wrong, natural or not.

I have been quite blunt with both of my boys who are now 22 and 17. They have been taught by my wife and I, whether the agree with it or not, that ANY SEX OUTSIDE OF A HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE IS WRONG. It must have worked for me, cause my 22 year old is already married, and I guess, having all of the married sex he can with my beautiful daughter in law. With that said, I was thinking why did my son get married so young when he has his whole life a head of him? Then it came to me that he didn't want to live in sin and disappoint his mom and me.

As far as my youngest son, he seems more liberal about this topic. Since he has had a couple of girl friends in high school, he has been honest with me when one of his girlfriends was talking about having sex, and wanted to, if you believe this, start a family at the tender age of 17. My youngest son broke up with her because, as he told me, he didn't want to spend his late teens and early 20s rearing a child. So there you go. To me, and I know I am getting off topic, and some people may disagree with me when I say this. But we, as Christians tend to debate gay lifestyle but not debate or discuss Christians who live in sin by living together before getting married or "shacking up."

The problem today is that we have people who just want to flat out rebel against the word of God, and think that some how they are living according to God's will. God's will is for us to glorify Him by becoming delivered of any addictions be it sex, alcohol, and drugs, and I am sorry to say it but when anyone who calls him or herself a Christian and are HABITUALLY living in sin to the point they they allow the Devil to have them believe that any lifestyle contrary to what the bible teaches is ok, then shame on them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or