Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,276 times

Advertisements

This is mostly for my fellow Catholics. We have Holy Days of Obligation where we are required to attend Mass, like Christmas, Mary Mother of God, the Assumption, All Saints Day, etc. But since most of our religious belief hinges on Jesus dying on the cross to save our sins, why is Good Friday not a Holy Day of Obligation? I know Easter is more important because he had to rise from the dead, but none of that can happen without the events of Good Friday. Seems like a pretty important to me for the Church to just say "Eh, come if you want, but whatever." Any thoughts? And do you see this changing any time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
I go to a Pentecostal Church were they have a meeting on Good Friday were up to fifteen other church come to one church and have a Holy communion service , which usually fills the Church , and the cars trying to get to the church can be lined up for two miles to the main highway , were after the service people go to get fish dinner filling the restaurants who service fish ...

Old 03-29-2013, 08:42 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Not a Catholic, so take my nose stuck in for what it's worth, but why worry about whether it is a requirement or not? If it has that importance to you, go with it and let others make their own choices.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
No reason you couldn't go to today's daily mass. Of course, those of us who are practicing should be fasting and abstaining today.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Not a Catholic, so take my nose stuck in for what it's worth, but why worry about whether it is a requirement or not? If it has that importance to you, go with it and let others make their own choices.
I'm not worried about it. Just curious why it isn't a required day considering it's a pretty darn important day.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 AM

So the reasoning I've been able to find in my research online is that there is no Mass celebrated on Good Friday so it can't be a Holy Day of Obligation.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 830,425 times
Is there any Mass besides the day of the Sun? Nobody can change a church, that is based on orthodoxy. Jeshua is the Passover lamb and that was eaten in the family. The biblical Passover is on the 14th of Nisan, when our Lord died also. You can celebrate that day beginning at eve in your family or by friends with a meal and remember the death of Christ. As Protestants we can have the Communion.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 AM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
So the reasoning I've been able to find in my research online is that there is no Mass celebrated on Good Friday so it can't be a Holy Day of Obligation.
Wasn't 'Good Friday' an obligation according to Luke 22 v 19 ?

Like any other anniversary date [ Nisan 14 ] would not always fall on a Friday, but like Passover falls on a different day of the week. For Christians the remembrance of the annual passing of the bread and wine would be in harmony with Jesus teachings at Luke 22 v 19, and 1st Cor. 11 vs 24,25

Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM

281 posts, read 306,146 times
Isn't the Holy Eucharist (aka Communion, Lord's Table, Lord's Supper, etc.) celebrated at every Mass? Since it is in fact the remembrance of His death, is there a reason for a 'mandated' day of celebration of our Lord's death?

Quote:
Wasn't 'Good Friday' and obligation according to Luke 22 v 19?
Well, not exactly, not that specific day on the calendar anyway. We are commanded to do it in remembrance of Him, but not when or how often. Paul adds 'as often as you drink it' in 1 Cor. 11:25. Some churches (Catholic, Episcopal) do this every Sunday, and the Catholics at nearly every service (if I'm not mistaken). Other do it less often: monthly, quarterly and other special services. For Christian, the harmony with Jesus teaching is simply that it is done, how often is up to one's preference. And there's not prohibition against doing it outside of the church building or any special teaching about who can oversee it, though each denomination may have some their own regulations for the ordinance.

Blessings in Christ,

Matthew

Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched.elect View Post
Isn't the Holy Eucharist (aka Communion, Lord's Table, Lord's Supper, etc.) celebrated at every Mass? Since it is in fact the remembrance of His death, is there a reason for a 'mandated' day of celebration of our Lord's death?

Well, not exactly, not that specific day on the calendar anyway. We are commanded to do it in remembrance of Him, but not when or how often. Paul adds 'as often as you drink it' in 1 Cor. 11:25. Some churches (Catholic, Episcopal) do this every Sunday, and the Catholics at nearly every service (if I'm not mistaken). Other do it less often: monthly, quarterly and other special services. For Christian, the harmony with Jesus teaching is simply that it is done, how often is up to one's preference. And there's not prohibition against doing it outside of the church building or any special teaching about who can oversee it, though each denomination may have some their own regulations for the ordinance.

Blessings in Christ,

Matthew
At least in western Roman Catholic churches, there is no Mass celebrated on Good Friday. The Good Friday service is known as The Celebration of the Lord's Passion. To be a Mass, the Eucharist must be consecrated during the service, but that doesn't happen at the Good Friday service. Eucharist that was consecrated at the Holy Thursday Mass is used for communion on Good Friday. From what I'm able to gather, the belief is that Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday are all considered one service. Thus the reason in the Catholic church that there is no real end to Mass on Holy Thursday or the service on Good Friday. It's all part of the Holy Triduum which begins with the Holy Thursday Mass of the Last Supper on Thursday evening and ends with the evening prayer on Easter Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity