U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 PM
 
1,934 posts, read 3,136,968 times
Reputation: 1209
To love or not to love... that is the question...

God commanded us to love our neighbors as ourselves. He commanded us to love our wives as Christ loves the church. He commanded us to love Him with all our heart, our soul, our mind and our strength.

But what is love? How is love defined? Love is defined in I Corinthians 13 (to which June made brief reference earlier). Is this the complete definition of love? I don't know, but it's a good start.

I think sometimes folks get all caught up in "Hollywood" love... all the fireworks, instant chemistry, etc., etc. But that's neither a complete picture of love, nor a lasting love, IMO. Love has many different levels and different facets. It's a complex concept. One level or type of love applies in one area of your life (towards your spouse) and a different level or type applies to a different area (neighbor).

Love can be emotion or action or both. Love can be a choice. I've known people who don't love their parents in word or deed. You've heard the phrase "falling out of love" before. So if you can fall in it, and fall out of it, can't you make a conscious decision to try harder and stick it out and make it work and "rekindle" what was lost? Isn't that a choice.. to stay and fight or run and let it wither on the vine? To nurture a kind, friendly, Christ-like loving attitute for other human beings or not to and possibly remain hard-hearted and disagreeable?

So I guess the simple answer to the OP is yes, one can be commanded to love. However, whether one heeds the command is a different matter.

Last edited by mams1559; 11-02-2007 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 10,345,840 times
Reputation: 1538
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown
Quote:
But for the grace of God, it could be me, I think.
To me this is not empathy but self-preservation used as an excuse. The moment I start serial killing people or serial raping children I am a danger to society. If I’ve raped or killed once I could do it again ( no matter what my motivation) and should be executed.
Neither is it about being sick. It is about being a danger to others.

Quote:
So I guess the simple answer to the OP is yes, one can be commanded to love. However, whether one heeds the command is a different matter.
Whether love is the 'Hollywood' kind or a 'higher' love, forcing someone is taking away free will.
I know one thing, whenever you take away free choice and still call it love, it has become rape and is not love at all.

I mean lets say that I could hypnotise someone and commanded her into loving me and praising every single thing I did.
Would you still call that love?
I know I wouldn't.

Last edited by Tricky D; 11-02-2007 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: Forgot to answer my own question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 10:21 PM
 
19,112 posts, read 21,882,178 times
Reputation: 26623
Even though the bible states that God commands you to love, I don't think that this is even possible.

If God is, as many profess, omnipotent, and he/she/it commands you to love someone I don't see that you have any other option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 10,345,840 times
Reputation: 1538
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek
Quote:
If God is, as many profess, omnipotent, and he/she/it commands you to love someone I don't see that you have any other option.
So you are saying that love is equal to not having any other option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2007, 04:30 AM
 
Location: NC
11,294 posts, read 8,790,256 times
Reputation: 1262
Quote:
To me this is not empathy but self-preservation used as an excuse. The moment I start serial killing people or serial raping children I am a danger to society. If I’ve raped or killed once I could do it again ( no matter what my motivation) and should be executed.
Neither is it about being sick. It is about being a danger to others.
Hi Tricky D., I believe that but for the grace of God it could be any of us. We don't know all of the circumstances that go influence a person's life and help to make the person what he or she is. One can be a danger to society and be sick. Evidently something is seriously wrong if the person is a serial killer or a rapist. They are not well mentally, spiritually, emotionally, or morally imo. Again, we are all sinners saved by the grace of God and all in need of a Savior. Jesus died for the serial rapist and serial murderer also so they must be of value to God. Take care and God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2007, 04:45 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 10,345,840 times
Reputation: 1538
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown
Quote:
Again, we are all sinners saved by the grace of God and all in need of a Savior. Jesus died for the serial rapist and serial murderer also so they must be of value to God.
True, but not all sinners are a menace to society.
Any death is a tragedy, but in the case of serial predators I rather err on the side of caution and execute a serial predator than give him the chance to make more victims.
To put it in simple words: I have no faith in serial predators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2007, 04:52 AM
 
Location: NC
11,294 posts, read 8,790,256 times
Reputation: 1262
Quote:
True, but not all sinners are a menace to society.
I agree, Tricky D.

Quote:
Any death is a tragedy, but in the case of serial predators I rather err on the side of caution and execute a serial predator than give him the chance to make more victims.
To put it in simple words: I have no faith in serial predators.
Personally, I support capital punishment and I believe that God authorizes it, but I also believe that we should have an attitude of agape love for all men, including people like these. I don't believe that we should have an attitude of hate for them, do you? Just asking. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 11-03-2007 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: typos, clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 10,345,840 times
Reputation: 1538
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown
Quote:
Personally, I support capital punishment and I believe that God authorizes it, but I also believe that we should have an attitude of agape love for all men, including people like these. I don't believe that we should have an attitude of hate for them, do you?
Does a tiger hate its prey? Does a veterinarian hate the rabid dog he has to put to down?
No I donít hate, I just believe that in some cases taking a life is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2007, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Morrisville, North Carolina
465 posts, read 1,709,092 times
Reputation: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I believe that love, like spontaneity cannot be commanded. People who are only spontaneous on command are not spontaneous at all. And people who only love others on command do not love people at all.
Even though the bible states that God commands you to love, I don't think that this is even possible.
But let us for argument's sake agree that it is possible to command someone to love:
Is commanding someone to love a loving act in and by itself?

What do you think?
And why?
The ten commandments, or God's law, is a guide to life and an invitation by Him to be the best we were meant to be. We were created in the "likeness of God" until sin came. God wants to restore us to His "likeness", and making the commandments a part of who we are will accomplish that. One's perspective on the law of God should not be one of tyranny, but of love. It's more of "compelling" us to love, than demanding it. Remember, the Bible says, "chose yeah this day whom yeah will serve." We can chose to obey God, or not to obey Him, He never forces us; and that's the most beautiful thing of all.

Remember that God wants the best for us. Look at what He says in Jeremiah, "I know the plans I have for you, saith the Lord, plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, to give you a hope and a future, if you call on Me, I will answer thee, if you search for me with all your heart." (paraphrasing) Just think how much closer we are to the character of Christ with love in our hearts and lives. If you reflect daily on the life of Christ and contemplate all He has done for you, I guarantee that loving Him will come to you. What do you stand to lose by loving the one who made you?

So, to answer your question, no, you can't "force" or "command" anyone to love; however, God is not doing that. He's inviting you to love Him, and your neighbor as yourself. Now you chose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2007, 10:27 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 10,345,840 times
Reputation: 1538
Originally Posted by jeweloflight
Quote:
If you reflect daily on the life of Christ and contemplate all He has done for you,
The problem here is that I do not believe that man is a born sinner.
If we are all borne in the image of God, then we should also be borne without sin.
Unless God was borne with sin.
Jesus chose his path in live and I like to be able to choose mine.

Quote:
I guarantee that loving Him will come to you. What do you stand to lose by loving the one who made you?
Do I owe God anything?
Do I owe my parents for birthing me? Was it not their choice to have children? I have no problem with loving people who love me and accept me the way I am.
But I will not love people just because they expect it or demand it.

Quote:
So, to answer your question, no, you can't "force" or "command" anyone to love; however, God is not doing that. He's inviting you to love Him, and your neighbor as yourself. Now you chose.
I choose to be free, because I was borne free. If I was not born free, I will fight to be free.
I'd rather die free than live in a gilded cage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top