U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:17 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,774,681 times

Advertisements

I believe that love, like spontaneity cannot be commanded. People who are only spontaneous on command are not spontaneous at all. And people who only love others on command do not love people at all.
Even though the bible states that God commands you to love, I don't think that this is even possible.
But let us for argument's sake agree that it is possible to command someone to love:
Is commanding someone to love a loving act in and by itself?

What do you think?
And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 09:49 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,434,094 times
Makes you wonder if the word was translated correctly, doesn't it!!

Nope, can't command love, can't buy it either.

I would think that a Love that was received because it was was commanded, would be sort of like the "respect" that slave owners received from the slaves. It was there, but it wasn't heartfelt.

It would be that you thought you deserved to be loved.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:34 AM

264 posts, read 632,740 times
This is a really good question.

The love of neighbor commanded in the bible has to do with how we treat others. It's not about affection or feelings of respect, which cannot be compelled.

Affection comes from familiarity and similarity. You can't be familiar with everybody, and individuals can differ a great deal from one another, so similiarities between people will vary.

Feelings of respect only develop as people show us they merit our esteem.
There are many people for whom I cannot feel much respect. However, I can treat them with respect, and I can show them kindness. This, I believe, is what the biblical love of neighbor is about. And actually, it isn't necessary to believe in the Bible to practice it, although those who do believe have an incentive that nonbelievers lack.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:43 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,981,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
The love of neighbor commanded in the bible has to do with how we treat others. It's not about affection or feelings of respect, which cannot be compelled.
Exactly.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:20 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,434,094 times
Maybe Love would have been translated in this scripture are care. We should certainly Care for others even though we might not even know them. Concern doesn't require what we commonly call Love.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett2
Quote:
We should certainly Care for others even though we might not even know them. Concern doesn't require what we commonly call Love.
True, taking care of others has nothing to do with personal feelings. You could command someone to take care of another without telling them how they should feel.
If I'm not mistaken doctors are required to do so by taking the Hippocratic Oath to help people, even when these people truly are the scum of the earth.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:35 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,110,661 times
I agree, that this is talking about treating others the way that we would want to be treated. We do what is good for others and I think that it involves an attitude of caring for the well being of others. Agape=charity, benevolent love. It isn't from selfish motives.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:50 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,068,700 times
I don't believe love is a feeling. It's a verb.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oakback
Quote:
I don't believe love is a feeling. It's a verb.
True, but it springs from a desire. I mean we are not hungry because we like the taste of an apple. We are hungry because we need to replenish our energy.
I believe that love replenishes our desire to live.
People who are very depressed are somehow unable to love in the same way people who suffer from anorexia nervosa* do not want to eat.

Quote:
*Anorexia nervosa is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes an eating disorder characterized by low body weight and body image distortion with an obsessive fear of gaining weight. Individuals with anorexia often control body weight by voluntary starvation, purging, vomiting, excessive exercise, or other weight control measures, such as diet pills or diuretic drugs. It primarily affects adolescent females all over the world, however approximately 10% of all afflicted are male. Anorexia nervosa is a complex condition, involving psychological, neurobiological, and sociological components.
Anorexia nervosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-27-2007, 11:26 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,988,959 times
I disagree with love not being a feeling. It certainly is a feeling, and if anyone who has experienced love doesn't know that, then I'm not sure how to describe what that emotional reality is.

If my best friend tells me they love me, and you say love is just a verb, then what action are they taking toward me at the time they tell me? I've had people on these boards tell me they love me, but what specific action are they referring to?

What is that emotional bond called when you feel deeply connected to one special person in your life? What is that bond called when you're 5000 miles away from your family, but you still love them? Is it not an emotional connection?

Yes, love can be a verb. But it is also so much more than that. I'm not sure how else to say it, but there is no way in the world ANYONE will tell me that love isn't a feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity