U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:11 AM

8,532 posts, read 10,314,329 times
Originally Posted by Oakback
Quote:
If someone is starving, and you feed him, do you think he cares what your motivation is?
I personally do.
Because when someone is starving, they'll accept anything.
And therein lays the danger of corruption. If people only feed you the things you want instead of the things you need, you might still starve to death.

For example, if one is starving because he only wants to eat junk food it is dangerous to only feed him fast food. Only eating fast food is unhealthy and he must eat healthy besides junk food.
Another example is the junky starving for a fix.
If they want it bad enough (have starved long enough) they'll do anything to get high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 11:10 AM

3,540 posts, read 4,173,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by OakbackI personally do.
Because when someone is starving, they'll accept anything.
And therein lays the danger of corruption. If people only feed you the things you want instead of the things you need, you might still starve to death.

For example, if one is starving because he only wants to eat junk food it is dangerous to only feed him fast food. Only eating fast food is unhealthy and he must eat healthy besides junk food.
Another example is the junky starving for a fix.
If they want it bad enough (have starved long enough) they'll do anything to get high.

when I referred to a "starving" person, I was not thinking of someone with the munchies, or in need of a fix.
"food" and "clothing" can take on many definitions.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Oakback
Quote:
"food" and "clothing" can take on many definitions.
Very true.
Unfortunately it is not all humanity is starving for.
As long as we do not know the difference between what we need and what we want, being starved can be very dangerous.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:53 AM

3,540 posts, read 4,173,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by OakbackVery true.
Unfortunately it is not all humanity is starving for.
As long as we do not know the difference between what we need and what we want, being starved can be very dangerous.

A famous man once said:

"sometimes we get what we want, and sometimes we just might find, we get what we need"
**** Jaggar

Old 10-28-2007, 12:03 PM

Personally I think the struggle is in trying to discover what you truly need and what you merely want.
Then find a way to nourish that need as best as possible.

I truly needed to know the difference between what love is and what love is not.
It took me some 20 years to find the answers, but they were worth it.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 PM

1,738 posts, read 5,407,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
I am realy struggling to serve God when the going gets tough. In mind it feels like I am serving Him because I need something, that my motives are selfish. The guilt kills me, so I end up pulling away from Him and His help, all because I want to serve him with a pure heart, not because i want something from Him. Now my question to you guys is - is this normal? Do any of you ever have these feelings? Is this pride? I hope not, I realy just want to seek His face, rather than His gifts. I feel caught between accepting the Lord as my Supplier and resisting my fallen nature that seeks to please its self. words of wisdom from anyone?
mercy me ...bring on the rain.

My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

We are let to struggle through hard times so we hold closer to him.
We are human ...we were made to worship him and lift up our problems to him. He carries our burdens, that's why he died for us, so it is ok if you need to fuss and cry and ask for his help during struggles. He's like your best friend, he wants to listen to you regardless if it's hard time or good times

It's the easy times that I drift.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:49 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,404,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
I am realy struggling to serve God when the going gets tough. In mind it feels like I am serving Him because I need something, that my motives are selfish. The guilt kills me, so I end up pulling away from Him and His help, all because I want to serve him with a pure heart, not because i want something from Him. Now my question to you guys is - is this normal? Do any of you ever have these feelings? Is this pride? I hope not, I realy just want to seek His face, rather than His gifts. I feel caught between accepting the Lord as my Supplier and resisting my fallen nature that seeks to please its self. words of wisdom from anyone?
Quote:
Now my question to you guys is - is this normal? Do any of you ever have these feelings? Is this pride? I hope not, I realy just want to seek His face, rather than His gifts. I feel caught between accepting the Lord as my Supplier and resisting my fallen nature that seeks to please its self. words of wisdom from anyone?

No it's not normal; it's a trick of the enemy on your mind "Fiery darts" come to mind?
#2 Yes- We struggle not against "flesh and blood"....Ephesians 6' Just have to put your armor back on so you can fight" against the lie; and the "father of all lies" by putting on the whole armor of God.
#3 Probably not ; what comes to mind is question #1 and 2, only I'll add to this Romans 8:1
Chapter 8
They that are in Christ, and live according to the Spirit, are free from condemnation
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Romans 8:1-6 (KJV)
read the story about Paul to one of his epistles; (can't think of the book right now) when he speaks about his flesh warring in his members; the very thing he wants to do; he finds himself not doing and so forth": We all struggle in this area at times; remember that "He will keep you in perfect peace who's mind is stayed Him"...and "We can do all things"through Jesus Christ...........
Our minds need a little "tune up" from time to time. But we'll keep you lifted up in prayer, begin to rejoice and praise His name also and Thank Him for all things.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:54 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,404,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I don't think it is uncommon to find it challenging to serve God in times of need, tests or trials. We have to fight the good fight of faith as Christians. I know I have to fight it every day. I find when my need is the greatest that is when I realize I need God the most. I get anointed with motivation to pray during times of trouble. The Bible says we are to pray without ceasing...nothing like a crisis to heat up my prayer life to that level. Why? Because I do want something? No, it is because I need something. I don't think that is a bad thing. The Bible tells us to call on the name of the Lord, to ask, seek, and Knock. God is not disappointed with us because we bring our needs to HIM. HE wants us to. We are in covenant relationship with HIM. I love God with a sincere heart. He is my Father. Where else can I turn in times of trouble? If I go to HIM in prayer and ask for anything, HE still knows what I have need of. HE knows what I am going through and HE knows what is in my heart. I can hide nothing from HIM and neither can u. God knows your motivation for serving HIM. HE sees all that is in your heart. There is nothing like my own pain and suffering to drive me to my knees. I think this is true of most Christians. I don't feel guilty boldly approaching the throne of grace where by I can obtain mercy. I seek HIS face and HIS favor out of a heart or love, but I actually need HIM more than I love HIM. I think this is the state of all humanity. And this is why HE sent HIS SON...we all have need of a Saviour. I just want to encourage u not to let feelings of guilt keep u from taking your needs to God in prayer.
Amen......Amen................

Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM

345 posts, read 612,829 times
I bet God is so proud of you! He sees your heart, and is pleased that you seek Him. He knows our nature- it is His grace that saves us.
I've had a rough few years, but the word tells me that God is preparing me for something so wonderful. When we are on the Potter's wheel, we must first be broken down and made pliable so that He can form us into the vessel of His choice to do His work. Pray that His will for your life will become your passion instead of the other way around. There's nothing more wonderful than being in agreement with God! I often find myself feeling the way you do, but it's transient. It sounds like it is for you too. God bless all of you.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 PM

7,712 posts, read 7,674,964 times
We all struggle with "Tests" of faith. A testimony without a test is just the "moanies"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity